Tasman Empire Airways Limited (TEAL) was the forerunner of Air New Zealand.
The company was formed by an Intergovernmental Agreement for Tasman Sea Air Services (also known as the Tasman Sea Agreement), a treaty signed by the United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand in London on 10 April 1940. TEAL was first registered in Wellington as a limited liability company on 26 April 1940. The company's purpose was originally to transport mail, passengers and cargo across the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand, during World War II.
From 1950–54 Wellington was served by a TEAL Solent flying boat operating a Wellington - Sydney Trans Tasman service from Evans Bay Wellington Harbour.
TEAL then started operating Douglas DC-6s on the Trans Tasman between Australia and New Zealand cities Auckland and Christchurch and the Coral Routes of the South Pacific Islands between 1954 and 1961
Wellington's rebuilt Rongotai Airport handled its first DC-6 Trans Tasman service between Wellington and Sydney,Australia just after it re-opened in 1959, ending the Trans-Tasman Solent flying boat operations from nearby Evans Bay.
In April 1961 the Australian government decided to subsidised the wholly Australian-owned Qantas airline and the New Zealand government bought out the Australian government's shareholding, giving New Zealand 100% ownership of TEAL. The airline changed to Air New Zealand (its present name) on 1 April 1965 at the same time as Douglas DC-8s entered service for the Trans Tasman and Coral Routes. TEAL's TE flight code carried over to Air New Zealand, which continued to use it for its international routes until 1989. Then its international flights began using the NZ code that belonged to NAC and had been used for that carrier's domestic flights.
1 February 1971 1st Air New Zealand DC8 lands at Wellington after training flight.
1 May 1972 An Air New Zealand DC8 makes the inaugural pure jet, Sydney to Wellington, flight.
11 July 1981 Air New Zealand converts a DC-8 to a freighter for international cargo service.
14 December 1981 Air New Zealand withdraws it's last two passenger DC-8s from service.
Qantas Australia's national Airline, lands a 747SP at Wellington International Airport in 1981 to fill the Trans Tasman route Sydney to Wellington vacated by Air New Zealand with the withdrawal of the DC-8s from passenger transport service.
Air New Zealand takes delivery in 1985 of their first Boeing 767-200s to fill the medium range and payload a gap vacated by the DC-8 and DC-10s. This allowed Air New Zealand to resume service on the trans-Tasman Wellington - Sydney route with a more intensive frequency flights than previously offered for flights across the Tasman with the likes of being able to fly to Western Australia Perth and also allowing for repositioning flights for use on the main trunk domestic services.
The Qantas 747SP ceased flight operations on the Trans Tasman route Sydney to Wellington around this time as like Air New Zealand they also obtained their first Boeing 767-200s and later went into competition with Air New Zealand with both using Boeing 767-200s on the Trans Tasman routes.
If you like you can check out some rough old NZ Retro-AI Wellington Airport NZWN (1970s)
parking screen shots, done some 11 odd years ago by Lawrie aka Snowman, just to give you a basic idea of the old demolished original "tin shed" Terminal lay out parking spots that Wellington used to have before the new terminal lay out.
Also here's some historical photos as an example of parking spots for Wellington Airport
DC-8 being Push back NZWN in what is now the Eastern Apron south end Domestic Gate Stand's
DC 8 Parked Nth End of Eastern Apron in front of Wellington Airport Fire Rescue Cab Building
Eastern Apron South End DC 8 Parked in front of Tin Shed Terminal 1970's
1960's Eastern Apron South End Bristol Type 170 Freighter Cargo parking area with the tin shed domestic terminal pier ramp air bridge up to wellington airport's old observation deck.
1980's Wellington International Terminal Qantas 747SP parked up "the 747SP nose area is now where the 'Rock' departure lounge has been added onto the building structure.
Hope this assists in getting the idea of parking Historical aircraft that would no longer use the current modern Terminal design Apron Stands.