Recreation of New Zealand's Flora in MSFS 2020

Read and report on flightsim developers progress of upcoming or completed products

Recreation of New Zealand's Flora in MSFS 2020

Postby Kelvinr » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:55 pm

Hey all,

I've spent so long trying to understand the way msfs xml files work as there is no good documentation, especially with vegetation.

So I took it upon myself to work on and get to grips with how it works.

Once I did this I was able to recreate the vegetation by modifying height,colours, and densities to try and match real world as well as get a good distribution of varying tree types.

I think this project really makes New Zealand stand out in the sim.

I will be getting some screenshot soon, been a long journey testing many areas and doing research on the flora of New Zealand to make this look convincing.

I would like to sell the package but not at a big cost, just something for the many hours of painstaking work I've put in.

How many of you would pay for this and what would you be willing to pay?
Kelvinr
Sim-holic

Topic author

Re: Recreation of New Zealand's Flora in MSFS 2020

Postby MichaelBasler » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:26 am

Depending on how it looks like and what it provides, I would be willing to spend ~20-25 US-$.

Kind regards, Michael
MichaelBasler
Forum Addict

Postby jpreou » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:57 am

Well, post your screenshots and then people might be able to make a decision. I think most people 'serious' about their NZ simming would likely contribute at least something - the actual price point is tricky as it needs to be something that will pay, but something that will give you some return and this is also linked to how many sales you might make - I'm sure Rob could talk for hours on this point!! :)
-- Jeff, Rolleston, NZ
P3Dv4.x and a bunch of add-on stuff... some 'global' products, but otherwise NZ-only
jpreou
Forum Addict

Postby Adamski » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:23 am

Kelvinr wrote:How many of you would pay for this and what would you be willing to pay?

Hi Kelvin! One way around this might be simply to splash the file around the download sites (like flightsim.to) and make it "Donationware". I've heard people are often surprised at how positive the response is.

I think the difficultly with making it payware, is that people become "customers" and expect a high degree of support - even though though may be paying a small sum.

It does sound like a great project - though I wonder how many simmers there are in NZ. I think Robin might have an opinion on that one!

Adam.
Adamski
NZFF Pro

Postby Kelvinr » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:49 am

[quote="Adamski"][quote="Kelvinr"]How many of you would pay for this and what would you be willing to pay?[/quote]

Hi Kelvin! One way around this might be simply to splash the file around the download sites (like flightsim.to) and make it "Donationware". I've heard people are often surprised at how positive the response is.

I think the difficultly with making it payware, is that people become "customers" and expect a high degree of support - even though though may be paying a small sum.

It does sound like a great project - though I wonder how many simmers there are in NZ. I think Robin might have an opinion on that one!

Adam.[/quote]

Hey Adam, that's a good idea. Thanks for the suggestion.
Kelvinr
Sim-holic

Topic author

Postby Adamski » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:59 pm

Kelvin ... is this you (SpritelyNZ)?
https://flightsim.to/file/6977/flight-s ... -in-images

Could be a useful file, if it isn't you!

Adam.
Adamski
NZFF Pro

Postby NZ255 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:45 pm

How does payware work? Do you have to register as a business and pay tax etc? (tax, boo :))
NZ255
NZFF Pro

Postby jpreou » Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:50 pm

In theory you would need to pay tax if your total income (that and normal income) take you into one of the tax brackets.
You don't need to be a business, but you would have to go through the pain of submitting a tax return each year to IRD (and make sure you have some money to pay the required tax). Or, if you run your 'business' at a loss, you could get a refund.
When I was a skydiving instructor, technically an independent contractor, I made damn certain I spent enough money each year on skydiving related stuff that I could expense to ensure I always ran at a net loss and thus got a tax refund each year! :)
I would imaging the same rules would apply here since IRD are interested in the monetary value of income and not how or why it is obtained!
-- Jeff, Rolleston, NZ
P3Dv4.x and a bunch of add-on stuff... some 'global' products, but otherwise NZ-only
jpreou
Forum Addict

Postby emfrat » Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:24 pm

I use the "seasonally adjusted" figures, meself. If they're good enough for the Gummint on unemployment, they're good enough for me :@
MikeW
'Propliner' is actually short for 'Proper airliner, with big rumbly radials'

emfrat
NZFF Pro

Postby Kelvinr » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:02 pm

Adamski wrote:Kelvin ... is this you (SpritelyNZ)?
https://flightsim.to/file/6977/flight-s ... -in-images

Could be a useful file, if it isn't you!

Adam.
Yeah that's me. I was sick of not having access to any good internal references for the vegetation in the sim so I took it upon myself to spend much time to snapshot each variation, I'm just about 80% of the way through my nz project and this helped me a whole bunch when tree matching NZ trees with the built in ones. This is really for those wanting a reference for the trees in the sim.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
--------------------------------------
Kelvinr
Sim-holic

Topic author

Postby Kelvinr » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:06 pm

jpreou wrote:Well, post your screenshots and then people might be able to make a decision. I think most people 'serious' about their NZ simming would likely contribute at least something - the actual price point is tricky as it needs to be something that will pay, but something that will give you some return and this is also linked to how many sales you might make - I'm sure Rob could talk for hours on this point!! :)
I agree, and the thing is that no doubt the sim will change allowing for the expansion for more trees and more time on the project but I've been thinking about it and I like the donation idea that Adamski pointed out but I might even just scrap the cost as I don't need the funds and I love doing what I'm doing but I'll get the screenshots up first and let people decide if they like it.

Kelvinr
Sim-holic

Topic author

Postby Kelvinr » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:07 pm

NZ255 wrote:How does payware work? Do you have to register as a business and pay tax etc? (tax, boo :))
I guess so, when I looked at simmarket there was a mandatory field for tax I'd.

Kelvinr
Sim-holic

Topic author

Return to Announcements