REX Skyforce 3D

Read and report on flightsim developers progress of upcoming or completed products

REX Skyforce 3D

Postby jpreou » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:50 am

Not sure if this is the right forum, but I'm *finally* putting my sim back together after some 12-14 months of "moving"; even fitted a GTX1080 just the other day.
I'll be running P3Dv4.1, ORBX/Godzone and build an 'NZ-only' sim ... and in the last before I packed up was using ASN ...

...so, what's the verdict on this new REX Skyforce? I can get the discount price from being a past REX customer. Does it completely replace ASN or what? The marketing blurb sounds good, but marketing blurb usually does... looking for real-world end-user feedback (if there is any so far).
--
Jeff, ChCh, NZ
jpreou
Sim-holic

Topic author

Re: REX Skyforce 3D

Postby emfrat » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:20 pm

Hello Jeff - this is what it gave me out of CH about half-an-hour ago. Metserve had me expecting worse. At the moment all sliders are low. This is good old FSX.

Last edited by emfrat on Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeW
'Propliner' is actually short for 'Proper airliner, with big rumbly radials'

emfrat
NZFF Pro

Postby jpreou » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:35 pm

Thanks; I can see my house from up here ... well, I almost *could* if it was there (to the R of picture in Rolleston)
Looks about right for Ch today!
So, is it a complete engine, textures and real-time download in direct replacement of ASN, for example?
--
Jeff, ChCh, NZ
jpreou
Sim-holic

Topic author

Postby emfrat » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:25 pm

jpreou wrote:Thanks; I can see my house from up here ... well, I almost *could* if it was there (to the R of picture in Rolleston)
Looks about right for Ch today!
So, is it a complete engine, textures and real-time download in direct replacement of ASN, for example?

Yep, in the FSX Weather Settings you select REX from the Themes list, and it tells you it is synching for that location, and then says it's done. Takes a couple of minutes, but so does FSWxLite which I still have installed. Skyforce will work with that or other weather engines, but I wanted to see what it will do. I will probly uninstall the Soft Clouds or whatever it is. That did not have a weather engine, just textures.
Clouds of course are murder on framerates, so plenty of fine tuning to be done.
I hope they are working on one for AFS2 :rolleyes:

Mike
MikeW

emfrat
NZFF Pro

Postby emfrat » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:39 am

The User Manual is very comprehensive. You can download it free from here:

https://fselite.net/news/rex-makes-sky- ... available/

Click on the word 'link' in the middle of the text below the picture.

MikeW
MikeW

emfrat
NZFF Pro

Postby Splitpin » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:21 am

You've sold me Mike :rolleyes: Not much a budget at the moment ...but this looks good.
Splitpin
NZFF Pro

Postby dbcunnz » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:16 pm

Pretty good results with P3D V4 too
There was supposed to be a discount for customers who already had REX programs of which I have most but I am a little p***ed off that I didn't get the discount taken off.
OnlineUser avatar
dbcunnz
NZFF Pro

Postby emfrat » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:16 pm

dbcunnz wrote:Pretty good results with P3D V4 too
There was supposed to be a discount for customers who already had REX programs of which I have most but I am a little p***ed off that I didn't get the discount taken off.

Doug, did you get them all from the same store? I had REX Essentials from the REX Store, and when I bought Skyforce from there it was discounted automatically.

MikeW
MikeW

emfrat
NZFF Pro

Postby jpreou » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:16 pm

Looks good, and I just checked and should get the discount through FSS. If I get Skyforce, do I still need/want Texture Direct & Soft Clouds?

So, transitioning sideways slightly, having been out for more than a year ... anything else I need to get P3Dv4.1 working with all my Saitek gear; seem to recall something about a new SPAD version?
I still have my TrackIR around here somewhere... I assume that will still work?
Is FSUIPC still required? (I did have a paid / registered version)
Did MyTrafficX ever get updated to work natively with P3Dv4?

I'm only installing stuff that has official P3Dv4 support and compatibility; I'm *not* performing any kludges to 'get things working' not matter how successful others claim.
I guess I'm going to have to go search all this stuff out... it's like being a newbie again, and I never progressed farther than newbie even before!
--
Jeff, ChCh, NZ
jpreou
Sim-holic

Topic author

Postby jpreou » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:39 pm

I just did a 'base' install of P3Dv4.1 (latest version) in getting the re-build process started ... I have no controllers configured yet, not even a basic joystick, but most products require P3D to be installed to they can read the registry info. Things are looking better on the 32" curved Samsung than they did on the 23" flat ViewSonic.

And so it begins and...

Holy Cow! This could get expensive ... seems there are updated versions of just about everything, and the usual REX product confusion.

• ActiveSky - updated, I *think* I need to re-buy (I don't think I need Cloud Art if I go the REX path)
  • FSUIPC - updated, need to re-buy
  • SPAD - updated, need to re-buy
  • PlanG - still 'free' (phew! I did once donate to this actually)
  • TrackIR - minor point version upgrade, free
  • REX - not entirely sure, but think Skyforce for 'sky/cloud' textures is desirable, but then...
  • REX - TextureDirect - dunno yet
  • REX - Soft Clouds - I don't *think* I need this anymore if I go with Skyforce
  • REX - HD Buildings - dunno yet
  • OldProp - PrecipitFX, dunno yet
  • MyTrafficX.v6 - dunno yet, but last time I looked (2 months ago perhaps) it wasn't compatible or updated
  • PILOTS Global mesh - dunno yet ... I seem to recall that ORBX NI / SI included their own mesh and it was better than PILOTs; could be wrong though

Actually, when I look through my software folder I can see all the versions and products; scary sht!
--
Jeff, ChCh, NZ
jpreou
Sim-holic

Topic author

Postby emfrat » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:34 pm

I will keep Texture Direct, for the water textures, but Weather/Cloud/Skiies are all in Skyforce, so I will uninstall any themes using them.
MikeW
MikeW

emfrat
NZFF Pro

Postby dbcunnz » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:38 pm

emfrat wrote:

Doug, did you get them all from the same store? I had REX Essentials from the REX Store, and when I bought Skyforce from there it was discounted automatically.

MikeW

Yes Mike all my Rex programs a whole 6 of them have been purchased at flightsimstore.com
I have just sent them a message asking for the discount to be credited to my account so will now wait and see what the give me.
OnlineUser avatar
dbcunnz
NZFF Pro

Postby Splitpin » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:03 pm

:unsure: I can't remember where I got mine from ... will have to check all my accounts.
Splitpin
NZFF Pro

Postby Radar88 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:46 pm

dbcunnz wrote:
emfrat wrote:

MikeW

Yes Mike all my Rex programs a whole 6 of them have been purchased at flightsimstore.com
I have just sent them a message asking for the discount to be credited to my account so will now wait and see what the give me.

REX - Sky Force 3D FSX/P3D is available from the Flight Sim Store at the price of NZ$62.82

Discount Offer: Customers who have previously purchased any REX Game Studios product at The FlightSim Store are eligible to purchase this product at a 15% discount. The price will be automatically discounted upon login to an account that has previously purchased qualifying products.

Make sure that you Log in to your Flight Sim Store Account and either Add the product REX - Sky Force 3D to your Account Wishlist or Add direct to the Shopping Cart it will automatically deduct the 15% from NZ$62.82 and show you the 15% Discount offer = NZ $53.38 automatically

When you go to do the check out for the purchase from your Account. The checkout will auto convert from NZ $53.38 and show the Discount offer in Aussie Dollars of AUD $48.65 to complete the transaction.
Radar88
Forum Addict

Postby dbcunnz » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:15 am

Radar88 wrote:REX - Sky Force 3D FSX/P3D is available from the Flight Sim Store at the price of NZ$62.82

Discount Offer: Customers who have previously purchased any REX Game Studios product at The FlightSim Store are eligible to purchase this product at a 15% discount. The price will be automatically discounted upon login to an account that has previously purchased qualifying products.

Make sure that you Log in to your Flight Sim Store Account and either Add the product REX - Sky Force 3D to your Account Wishlist or Add direct to the Shopping Cart it will automatically deduct the 15% from NZ$62.82 and show you the 15% Discount offer = NZ $53.38 automatically

When you go to do the check out for the purchase from your Account. The checkout will auto convert from NZ $53.38 and show the Discount offer in Aussie Dollars of AUD $48.65 to complete the transaction.

This is from FlightsimStore: REX - Sky Force 3D FSX/P3D [REX-018] AUD$57.25
So with the 15% discount $48.66

This is from my flightsim Store account: 1 x REX - Sky Force 3D FSX/P3D AUD$50.55
- Delivery Option: Instant Download
From my NZ bank statement THE FLIGHTSIM STORE FLINDERS AUS – $57.24
So there may be a discount but it is not the 15% more like about 12%
OnlineUser avatar
dbcunnz
NZFF Pro

Postby emfrat » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:39 am

Doug, there's more than one way to skin a customer...look at these nasties:

01 NOV 2017 MR M CROSS BORDER ASSESSMENT FEE -$10.71
01 NOV 2017 MR M INTERNATIONAL TRANSACTION FEE -$16.07

https://www.cardfellow.com/mastercard-cross-border-fee/

ATB, Mike
MikeW

emfrat
NZFF Pro

Postby jpreou » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:43 am

Well, I have purchased AS4P and ASCA ... only really wanted / needed ASCA for the dynamic injection.
I decided to start with these as AS has a superior weather engine and I'll see what the ASCA clouds are like before I spring also for SF.
I've already spent a couple hundred $ (not including the GTX and monitor, of course) and still facing the prospect of SF and potentially FS Global 2018 mesh (since 2010 isn't supported in P3Dv4 and though it apparently 'works' it won't fit in with my "only for P3Dv4" policy to keep using it).
--
Jeff, ChCh, NZ
jpreou
Sim-holic

Topic author

Postby Splitpin » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:11 pm

Turns out I got my other Rex stuff from the REX store ... once I retrieved my password , made the purchase and discount was applied.
Now Im having that damm "bootstrapper" msg again ... one of you wise birds told me ages ago what to do ... but i cant find the post :unsure:
Splitpin
NZFF Pro

Postby emfrat » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:47 pm

Splitpin wrote:Turns out I got my other Rex stuff from the REX store ... once I retrieved my password , made the purchase and discount was applied.
Now Im having that damm "bootstrapper" msg again ... one of you wise birds told me ages ago what to do ... but i cant find the post :unsure:

That drove me mad, too. I finally let their download manager do the whole thing (I generally don't trust d/l managers) and it all fell into place. Cost me a second lot of bandwidth, though :angry:
MikeW

emfrat
NZFF Pro

Postby Splitpin » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:39 am

That wont work either mike <_< has to be a way...
Splitpin
NZFF Pro

Next

Return to Announcements