Godzone multi-platform NZ scenery fundraiser

Read and report on flightsim developers progress of upcoming or completed products

Godzone multi-platform NZ scenery fundraiser

Postby toprob » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:08 pm

The Godzone Kickstarter is now live, so please take a look and make a pledge if you can!
This campaign runs for 30 days, and the way it works is your pledge is only collected at the end of that period if the target is reached. The target is the minimum that I can work with, so the more the merrier!!!!
Please pass the word on, I really need to reach as many simmers as I can, especially those who normally don't frequent this/my site -- X-planers, Aerofly fans etc.
I'll be pushing this for the next four weeks, but I'll try not to overdo it.

Take a look at the Kickstarter page here.

One other thing -- if you do plan to make a pledge, it helps if you do so earlier rather than later, you'll still be charged when the month is up, but early pledges might help people to make up their minds to help.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Re: Godzone multi-platform NZ scenery fundraiser

Postby Charl » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:28 am

Excellent start.
I've linked it on AVSIM's AFS2 forum.
Charl
NZFF Pro

Postby jpreou » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:02 am

Sweet Rob. Pledged (please don't tell the wife; she'll kill me!)
Also shared to FB with a public post, though I have few FB friends that are also into FB, but every bit helps, right? :-)
Good luck mate.

PS how much storage do you need?
--
Jeff, ChCh, NZ
jpreou
Sim-holic

Postby toprob » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:29 am

Thank you guys, when I pressed the 'go' button last night, I was very nervous knowing that I'd be getting up in the morning and talking to the news sites, and I really didn't know how it would go. Well, before I woke up the job was pretty much done, thanks to those who put the word out. A great response to start, I'm feeling a bit more confident now. Keep up the good work!

jpreou wrote:Sweet Rob. Pledged (please don't tell the wife; she'll kill me!)
Also shared to FB with a public post, though I have few FB friends that are also into FB, but every bit helps, right? :-)
Good luck mate.

PS how much storage do you need?

Well, I'm not sure what is the best solution, I don't want to rush into things, as I'm prone to do, and find that it isn't a great solution. At the moment I have 2TB packed tight, plus the SSD system drive, but I really need double everything at least.

The goal amount is tricky to settle on, as it's all or nothing, it has to be the very minimum that could make this work, so again, more is better! The current goal would deliver the first scenery, and then rely on sales to fund the next, that's where things get risky. More funds would give me more breathing room, with the goal of getting back to the good old days with multiple products in my store.

By the way, thanks for the pledge, Jeff!
toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby jpreou » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:20 pm

Are you talking storage in the cloud (for downloads from your store)
...or...
'Live' (in use) storage on your PC for holding scenery you are using / working on / developing / testing...
...or...
Offline (USB / NAS) storage simply for keeping copies of data and stuff?
--
Jeff, ChCh, NZ
jpreou
Sim-holic

Postby toprob » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:08 pm

Well, all of these are issues that need to be dealt with, when I mentioned this on the Kickstarter site it was just an example of what the funds would be used for. This is a cheaper issue, compared to 3DS Max and other subscriptions, though.
At the moment online storage/delivery isn't a problem, as I use AWS/Cloudfront, and I only pay for what I use a month. So at the moment, if I sell nothing, I pay nothing, but once I'm serving 5 different projects on three platforms, hopefully I'll be selling lots, and paying lots...
Part of this, though, is the bandwidth issue. At the moment I live with my son in South Canterbury, and he has DSL, which is all that is available. Apparently the old-folks village up the road has fibre, (not just for breakfast) but I'm a couple of years away from that. Uploading the Prepar3d v4 installers is a process, and can take a week. Not to mention the fact that I was here temporarily, and have long over-stayed my welcome, so I need to be able to pay rent to support myself somewhere. It's funny how close 'self-employed scenery developer' is to 'homeless and unemployed'... I did used to own my own home, but a couple of divorces have put paid to that every happening again.
But yeah, once I get settled in somewhere, I should really have a NAS solution, simply to store scenery resources. For FSX/Prepar3d I normally keep two full-sized sets of aerials, one unedited and the other colour-corrected etc, but there is the need for a third set in-between. For X-plane, I start with the colour-corrected set, and slice it into tiles, which is another huge set. Who knows how Aerofly will work, and what sort of requirements are needed. I'm thinking that 16TB NAS would do the trick. None of this can happen, though, until I have somewhere to put it, and set up a little studio in a spare room somewhere.

If I had a NAS, I could remove the existing stuff off my internal drive, which might free up enough for all the simulators plus installed scenery. Every time I've installed a new sim, the drive bar in Windows Explorer goes red, which is nature's way of telling me to lose something off the drive.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby jpreou » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:42 pm

I see you got linked on AirDailyX here...
http://www.airdailyx.net/fsnewsbreaker/
--
Jeff, ChCh, NZ
jpreou
Sim-holic

Postby toprob » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:36 pm

Yes, a big number of visits to my site from ADX today. although my stats haven't yet updated to show exactly how many. Good response from them, and Flusinews who reach a lot of Europeans. So all in all I'm happy with the ways things are going!
toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby jpreou » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:07 pm

That's great news! I pray it results in gazillions of dollars in pledges ... please remember that your kickstarter campaign means you have to work and not retire early! :P
--
Jeff, ChCh, NZ
jpreou
Sim-holic

Postby Radar88 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:03 am

Another big booster mention on this weeks Frooglesim News 25 June show casing Robin's Kickstarter campaign with the clip Upcoming Real NZ Wellington in Prepar3d

Look out for Froogle's big shout out for Robin's work towards the end of his Frooglesim News from 4:25 - 6:06

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKKtCPgrs9I

This will surely keep things rolling along for Robin's campaign now that the word is getting out there in the flight sim community.
Radar88
Forum Addict

Postby toprob » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:50 am

Thanks for the heads-up, I normally catch up with Froogle's weekend videos later in the week, so much appreciated!
My major goal has changed slightly, now I aim to teach the world how to pronounce 'Wanaka' and 'Tekapo'. I actually started this on the Chch-Queenstown bus a couple of months ago, where I heard various attempts to pronounce 'Wanaka', none even close...
toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby Charl » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:04 pm

TuhKAHpoe... :o
Well let's see if I can educate the world to say KILO meter instead of kuhLOMahtah before you swing that exotic S island stuff...

Kickstarter is idling along nicely, 2/3 done!
Charl
NZFF Pro

Postby Dinga » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:49 pm

All the best toprop >nzflag<
Dinga
Forum Addict

Postby toprob » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:14 pm

Just a reminder that the Kickstarter campaign ends tonight, 10:29 pm!
You can pledge $25 or up for at least one multi-platform scenery product, or just pledge $10 for the sake of ongoing NZ support for the upcoming simulators...
The upper-tier pledges have been very generous, and most of you are from around here, you know who you are!
Visit the Kickstarter page to make a pledge.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby Splitpin » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:26 pm

Rob ... just zapped some coin your way.
I may have messed it up ...can you confirm when you can (pm) that you got it.

Damm good deal, and good luck :rockon:
Splitpin
NZFF Pro

Postby toprob » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:45 pm

PMed, Marty, cheers!!!!
toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby Splitpin » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:14 pm

Thank you Rob ...and if I may apologize for that awful term (zapped you some coin) .... in hindsight, it was hideous. -_-
Splitpin
NZFF Pro

Return to Announcements