MS Flight Sim in 2020

Read and report on flightsim developers progress of upcoming or completed products

Re: MS Flight Sim in 2020

Postby chopper_nut » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:28 pm

cowpatz wrote:I guess it is all about the rendering and they should have a pretty good idea by now as to how this performs.
I sure feel sorry for Flt sim developers as the hand brake must have been applied to 3rd party sales whilst waiting for more information on the new sim.
It's sure put me off buying...especially complex aircraft add ons.

Looking at some of the FS news shows, it doesn't appear to have made too much of a dent in what people are doing. XP developers at least aren't slowing down and I think that although MS will bring helicopters to FS2020 (they WILL be doing this) XP is still where helicopters are king. Don't see everybody stopping addon development for a year just to see what MS come out with.
chopper_nut
NZFF Pro

Postby Radar88 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:01 am

FSElite have done a 35 minute podcast while attending a Microsoft XBox event Press day last Thursday for the x019 being held in London this weekend.

You can listen to the interesting YouTube podcast commentary, that gives a further insight into the new Simulator here Microsoft Flight Simulator - Hands-On Discussion and see the new pre-alpha November 4K footage done around Europe that includes various destinations. Locations seen include Southampton (GB), Venice (Italy), Copenhagen (Denmark) and beyond.
Radar88

Postby toprob » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:47 am

(just had to do a quick test post on my tablet, as my phone gave an error after painstakingly posting here this morning.)
I've just watched the abridged IGN video of the cities, as I'm on mobile data all week, but I didn't think I could be any more impressed by this SIm, until I saw that level of detail. Seeing Florence, Naples and the Venice canals up close gave me a much better understanding of the cities than all the photos, movies and travel brochures that I've ever seen in my life. Will save me a fortune in air fares...
Can't wait to get home and cast the new coverage to my big screen.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby Radar88 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:41 pm

toprob wrote:(just had to do a quick test post on my tablet, as m y phone gave an error after painstakingly posting here this morning.)
I've just watched the abridged IGN video of the cities, as I'm on mobile data all week, but I didn't think I could be any more impressed by this SIm, until I saw that level of detail. Seeing Florence, Naples and the Venice canals up close gave me a much better understanding of the cities than all the photos, movies and travel brochures that I've ever seen in my life. Will save me a fortune in air fares...
Can't wait to get home and cast the new coverage to my big screen.

The interesting takeaway from the abridged IGN video of the cities Microsoft Flight Simulator: 9 Beautiful Cities in 4K60 - X019. Is the capture of real time 4K Pre-Alpha sim flight footage sound, taken directly from the seen flights both External and of particular between 12:30 - 12:40 the Cessna 172 Internal cockpit sound of the rain hitting the outside cockpit windscreen and air-frame with the engine hum droning in background.

IGN have also release their Developer Interview You Can Probably See Your House in Flight Simulator - IGN Live X019 from the London Xbox event, along with new cinamatic Trailer footage featuring new aircraft flying with the previous theatrical sound track background Microsoft Flight Simulator - Official Gameplay Trailer | X019.

While well known You-Tube Flight Sim content creator Jeff Favignano has done a 35 minute commentary with an in depth breakdown of the latest Microsoft Flight Simulator gameplay trailer! You can watch the latest Trailer re-runs and listen to his positive thoughts on the attention to Flight Sim details here Microsoft Flight Simulator Gameplay Trailer Breakdown.

FSElite have also done a latest Developer Interview at the X019 London Xbox event with more questions and elaboration of information on the new Microsoft Flight Simulator. This should assist answer some previous postings commentary questions, you can see and hear here Microsoft Flight Simulator Developer Interview [X019]. Take note of the background Xbox exhibit booth area for Microsoft Flight Simulator.
Last edited by Radar88 on Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Radar88

Postby cowpatz » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:14 pm

Some quite stunning visuyals in the 9 cities video. Interesting how some places seem to have quite noticeable "autogen popping or late texturing" and others not.
cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Postby Radar88 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:27 pm

cowpatz wrote:Some quite stunning visuyals in the 9 cities video. Interesting how some places seem to have quite noticeable "autogen popping or late texturing" and others not.

Agree and yes it's a known fact from previous seen flight sim community commentary, that it's not perfect and that's why the caveat is shown at the bottom in the footage.

"Microsoft Flight Simulator is a Work in Progress. Pre-Alpha Footage. Nov 2019"
Radar88

Postby MichaelBasler » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:34 pm

AVSIM has a thread running on regions we want to see in further clips. I included NZ into my wish list, we'll see if they consider it.

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/565237-feedback-new-discovery-episodes-wishlist/?tab=comments#comment-4122224

Kind regards, Michael
MichaelBasler

Postby jpreou » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:11 am

toprob wrote:Seeing Florence, Naples and the Venice canals up close gave me a much better understanding of the cities than all the photos, movies and travel brochures that I've ever seen in my life. Will save me a fortune in air fares...

Ha! reminds me of a conversation with my wife. She'd like to travel (and did extensively as a child with her family, whereas I never have). Sha says "I'd love to go to 'such-and-such-place'". My response; "that's what Google Earth is for!" ... and she says "It's not the same as being there" ... and I said "you're right, it doesn't costs me tens of thousands of dollars!" :)

No ... I'm not a traveller ... (obviously) ... I'm a 'do-er' .... I like to "do stuff" not "see stuff" ... if the doing happens to take place where there is some 'seeing' then that is ok, but most of the stuff I want to do I can do right here where I am!

Back on topic; I'm out of flight sim right now (although still buying Rob's stuff ... I'm now building a small collection of his work that is not installed!) .. but this MS2020 does indeed look good. I'm into my paragliding right now, but when I come back to sim it will likely require a new PC and almost definitely I'll do VR this time. .... anyone want some Saitek gear, or Desktop Aviator stuff?
-- Jeff, Rolleston, NZ
P3Dv4.x and a bunch of add-on stuff... some 'global' products, but otherwise NZ-only
jpreou
Forum Addict

Topic author

Postby Charl » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:59 pm

SDK UPDATE
The team is making good progress on the SDK development. While still in the early stages, the plan is to provide an initial version of the SDK to the 3rd party developer community before the end of the year. Our goal has been to involve 3rd parties early in the development process, and to give them the ability to influence our priorities and how we author the SDK.

Oohh!
Jus' sayin'... >nzflag<
Charl
NZFF Pro

Postby NZ255 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:00 pm

I hope everyone will get it, not just the subset of devs they’re talking to
NZ255
NZFF Pro

Postby MichaelBasler » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:44 pm

In yesterday's (Nov 21st) announcement it's clearly stated it will be fully available to everyone

https://www.flightsimulator.com/

Kind regards, Michael
MichaelBasler

Postby toprob » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:02 am

Yes, for a single paragraph on the SDK, they did manage to get the important stuff into it:

These same tools will be provided to the community in effort to ensure the tools we use to create content, tools that undergo constant testing in our production environment, are shared with all our creators.

I still haven't had time to catch up on the last two weeks, but this new-fangled sim is still looking promising.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby Radar88 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:49 am

For those who did not manage to catch the X-Plane 11 Live Q&A November update earlier in the week, Live from Austin Meyer's house where the X-Plane Development Team congregated around Austin Meyer's couch to discuss X-Plane development. If your interested in the X-Plane developers thoughts on Microsoft Flight Simulator coming in 2020, you can catch the abridge topic on what they said about MSFS2020 in the Reaction Review YT channel by Irishman Gripper Sim with his latest commentary thoughts on the renaissance of Flight Sims over the next 12 months and the links between X-Box and MSFS2020 with X-Plane here Flight Simulator 2020 | Will it really matter? | New Golden age for flight sims?
Radar88

Postby toprob » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:30 pm

Interesting info on X-plane, Austin certainly talks like a simmer, and his reaction is very similar to mine -- wow, can only move the genre forward, but I know I'm wondering how I can survive in the meantime, and he's probably worrying a little more than he let on too.

Some misinformation in that commentary, common on YouTube, which annoys me but is understandable if you are not 110% immersed in this new sim. He's right about Topgun though, it will be in MS's best interests to have an aircraft ready:) I'm amazed at the movie skills these days, making Tom Cruise look that young must take a huge effort and expense!
The MSFS montage the youtuber used certainly does a powerful job of selling the new sim, I must admit.

Aside from that video, I have been catching up on the last couple of weeks, and it does seem that recent video peeks have become a little less carefully curated -- they are becoming less afraid of showing a few warts, as the reaction so far has been overwhelmingly positive. So we've seen some 'computery' graphics, and coupled with the obvious difference between the 'full' graphics experience and those areas where the data is less featured (such as NZ) I'm beginning to get a picture of what we might expect here in NZ. Bring in on!
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby Radar88 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:02 am

If you've not seen the latest in the Microsoft Flight Simulator Discovery series here's the latest

Feature Discovery Series Episode 3: Aerodynamics

Feature Discovery Series Episode 4: Cockpits

Irishman Gripper Sim from Reaction Review YT channel has done a few more interestingly humorous commentary breakdown of the latest in the Microsoft Flight Simulator Discovery series.

What does a Flight Instructor think? | Aerodynamics | Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

What does pilot think of Microsoft’s 2020 simulator Cockpits? | Is this real?

While Jeff Favignano has also done a similar serious flight simmer, in depth breakdown commentary look with a slow down and pausing to analyze each of the cockpit scenes.

Microsoft Flight Simulator Feature Discovery Series Breakdown #2

Oh and also a recent UploadVR news website article reports that VR Now ‘Very High’ On Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 Priorities
Radar88

Previous

Return to Announcements