NZ Photoreal Autogen Project v2.0 released

Read and report on flightsim developers progress of upcoming or completed products

NZ Photoreal Autogen Project v2.0 released

Postby Kelvinr » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:56 pm

Hey all,

I am releasing my, what was once payware, Photoreal Autogen Scenery. This time it's version 2.0!!

Previously this went with Ant Davidsons 5m Photoreal for NZ found here: https://gumroad.com/antdavison

It will work if you have your own Aerial imagery but this hasn't been split into regions, someone could do that if they wish otherwise time permitting I may get around to it.

My Autogen is based on the latest GIS data including Buildings (Commercial, Industrial, and Residential) and Vegetation using Topo50 LINZ data.\

I tried to reach out to Ant some time ago so I could see if he would let me water and blendmask the Aerial imagery as I have a near perfect auto masking tool I coded that will process Tif images that he would have used but didn't get far with it. Anyway, my Autogen is now freeware for all to enjoy including those of you who paid for my initial release some time ago.

I need to advise that this autogen needs aerial imagery to work and covers the entire country. So, it's my way of giving back to the FS community mainly all those who really appreciate New Zealand but of course for anyone to enjoy.

It is quite large, their are 4 files split into 4GB each.

NZ Photoreal Autogen 2.0 - Part 1
https://mega.nz/#!2SB3iabB!r8dlm8vGE4xg ... qAuszVEGyI

NZ Photoreal Autogen 2.0 - Part 2
https://mega.nz/#!iH53WAbI!zHiB_kdTyP_m ... muQzHRGRXU

NZ Photoreal Autogen 2.0 - Part 3
https://mega.nz/#!LOx11QqK!FiKOnFM83b7N ... 4G4TTaSZoA

NZ Photoreal Autogen 2.0 - Part 4
https://mega.nz/#!uboxWSLD!AiTnDSysCX87 ... IljkvnLHtI

Don't hesitate to provide feedback or issues and I'll see about fixing any weird stuff that maybe happening as I have not had the privilege of flying the entire country to see all my work as there's a lot of flying hours to be had and I haven't had the time. I have seen quite a bit of the autogen and looks good as far as I can tell in many places i've seen so....

Some screenshots you've probably already seen but I'll link here as it's relevant to see some of the work on Bing Aerial Imagery which unfortunately I cannot distribute due to copyright issues.

Screenshots
https://imgur.com/a/Hr5keIP

Any feedback or issues can be emailed to me at geosimworks@gmail.com

happy flying!
Kelvin.
Kelvinr
Sim-holic

Topic author

Re: NZ Photoreal Autogen Project v2.0 released

Postby dbcunnz » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:14 pm

Hi Kelvin I would be very interested to see what your autogen looks like flying at about 1500ft or lower as it is at the lower heights that the autogen realy shows up how good it is.
dbcunnz
NZFF Pro

Postby Kelvinr » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:34 pm

Hi Doug,

Noted. Feel free to check out the screenshots via the link in my initial post.

It's completely automated. It is based on GIS data from the Building Outlines Project and Topo data areas by Land Information NZ. Each building footprint is covered to a point (limitation of the data for a few areas but this should be available around December as far as I understand), I detract.

When you say how good it is, if you mean the buildings themselves, they are default autogen objects. If you mean placement, you won't get better placement from automation like this because it's based on the GIS data for the building footprints, each house, commerical and Industrial building available from the data, is where you will see it in real life. I also refined the logic process for the placement to the best way I could trialing different methods.

The same goes with the Vegetation, I made special effort to try and carve roads where roads are within the vegetation as well as cover the vegetation areas right to the line, meaning, shelter belts, forest, etc... will show with as much density and accuracy in placement as possible without causing unnecessary performance issues. I also have the entire country Bing Aerial imagery to verify the placement is as accurate as possible and it is, you'll see by my screenshots. The only fault I have is the vegetation types could be more accurate in terms of correct tree types but I simply have no time for creating and changing GUIDs for the autogen objects and making customs textures to match the real world counterparts.

Anyway, check the screenshots out, i'm sure you'll get a good look down low on some of the shots.

Cheers.
Kelvinr
Sim-holic

Topic author

Postby dbcunnz » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:57 pm

I have looked at the images that you have the link to buy it doesn't really show what the vegetation in the cities and towns is like I found that using the ScenProc tools and LINZ vegetation it did not have the vegetation for the likes of cities, towns and around farm built up areas.

Have you managed to find something to fill in these areas with the vegetation?
dbcunnz
NZFF Pro

Postby Kelvinr » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:31 am

[quote="dbcunnz"]I have looked at the images that you have the link to buy it doesn't really show what the vegetation in the cities and towns is like I found that using the ScenProc tools and LINZ vegetation it did not have the vegetation for the likes of cities, towns and around farm built up areas.

Have you managed to find something to fill in these areas with the vegetation?[/quote]

I have added some custom vegetation on Auckland but that's it. As I said Doug, it's only as good as the data that is available. I would not have time to manually place each tree (actually I wouldn't do that rather create polygons for where they would be.. ) that does not exist but for the most part I think this is the most complete vegetation and building autogen scenery package you'll find and it's free. I've spent a lot of time with the gis data cropping and carving, as well as using historical GIS data where for some reason it was missing.

Download it and try it out in your preferred region of you have the aerial imagery, if you don't like it then no problem, no $ has exchanged but I will take legitimate feedback from those who identify any significant issues but doubt you'll find many.

Cheers
Kelvinr
Sim-holic

Topic author

Postby richbarry » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:35 pm

Hello Kelvin

What is the correct file size for Part 4 ?
I've downloaded it twice, size 3,017,992,021 bytes, joined with HJSplit, but get an error towards the end of the extracting with WinRar

Regards

Richard
richbarry

Postby Kelvinr » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:25 am

[quote="richbarry"]Hello Kelvin

What is the correct file size for Part 4 ?
I've downloaded it twice, size 3,017,992,021 bytes, joined with HJSplit, but get an error towards the end of the extracting with WinRar

Regards

Richard[/quote]

Hi Richard,

I zipped with 7zip so try that as I have had people report in the past that unzipping was an issue. I don't use Winrar. 7zip is free. Let me know how you get on.

Cheers,
Kelvin
Kelvinr
Sim-holic

Topic author

Postby richbarry » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:28 pm

7Zip extracts without errors Kelvin. Thanks for your good work.
richbarry

Postby Kelvinr » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:25 am

[quote="richbarry"]7Zip extracts without errors Kelvin. Thanks for your good work.[/quote]

great, glad it worked.
Kelvinr
Sim-holic

Topic author

Return to Announcements