"NEW" HJG DC-10 Project - "RELEASED"

Read and report on flightsim developers progress of upcoming or completed products

"NEW" HJG DC-10 Project - "RELEASED"

Postby aerofoto » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:48 pm

"HJG Website Update - 3 Years In The Making"

It's been 4 years since HJG first launched its DC-10 inventory. Within a year of that original release though it was already rethinking this entire project .... given the fidelity gap which then existed between its L-1011 and DC-10 panels.

Upgrading the original DC-10 panel releases was considered essential in order to parallel the quality of both projects. HJG is therefore now pleased to announce release of its "NEW" DC-10 project.

This revision represents some 3 years (2 years and 11 months to be precise) of study, consultation, compilation, testing, and adjusting .... assisted by significant R/W support and driven by the dedication and efforts of George CARTY, Mike MONCE, and Benoit PLAMONDON .... aka "the HJG in-house development team".

This project isn't just a panel revision only. In fact it's "an entirely new project" composed of each of the following components.

12 new panels (featuring both standard and tape engine instrumentation) .... each of which are also now "aircraft type specific as follows ....

- DC-10-10 V2.0
- DC-10-10CF/F V2.0
- DC-10-15 V2.0
- DC-10-30 V2.0
- DC-10-30 (tape) V2.0
- DC-10-30CF/F V2.0
- DC-10-30CF/F (tape) V2.0
- DC-10-40 (Northwest) V2.0
- DC-10-40D (Japan Air Lines) V2.0
- DC-10-40F (HGW) V2.0
- DC-10-40F (LGW) V2.0
- DC-10-40I (Japan Air Lines) V2.0

PLEASE NOTE: These "NEW" panels are now both "FS2004 and FSX compatible" and composed of all the following features ....

- New captain and F/O view main panel view options with improved gauges.
- Aircraft/Engine type calibrated engine gauges.
- Dynamic weight and flap detent calibrated V-REF chart (with auto-updating T/O and landing data).
- Multi-functional AP MCP with both VS and IAS pitch modes, VOR/INS/GPS navigation, and auto approach, and fully automatic dual AP controlled auto-flare/autoland capability.
- Dual AT with Thrust Rating Computer interactivity.
- WX radar with colour display.
- Operating windshield wipers.
- FE panel with functional APU, electrical, hydraulics, pneumatics, and fuel system (with both transfer and dumping capability .... and external vapor effects).
- APU and GPU assisted engine startup scenarios.
- New overhead panel with ground support communications.
- New center pedestal panel .... with a new spoiler lever arming and auto-deployment function.
- New panel/gauge night lighting/illumination.
- T/O V-Speed call outs.
- FPDA GPWS altitude call-outs and other alerts.
- FPDA gear wind effect (FS2004 only)
- Both the ability to perform partial or complete cold & dark panel configuration and engine startup options .... as well as default pre-configured/ready to go option (for those whom do, and don't, like systems complexity respectively).

11 "NEW" DC-10 aircraft base packs ....

-DC-10-10 V3.0
- DC-10-10CF/F V3.0
- DC-10-15 V3.0
- DC-10-30 V3.0
- DC-10-30CF/F V3.0
- DC-10-30ER V3.0
- DC-10-40 (Northwest) V3.0
- DC-10-40D (Japan Air Lines) V3.0
- DC-10-40F (HGW) V3.0
- DC-10-40F (LGW) V3.0
- DC-10-40I (Japan Air Lines) V3.0

.... each of are supported by the following features ....

- New FDE (essential for various elements of these new panels to be able to function).
- Some minor 3D model editing.

And 6 "NEW" (UI) DC-10 sound packs have also now been released .... recompiled in accordance with the new base pack/FDE parameters and as separate "FS2004" and "FSX" specific audio files as follows ....

- GE CF6-6 turbofan.
- GE CF6-50 turbofan.
- P&W JT9D turbofan.

For further information concerning this "NEW" DC-10 project release please refer to HJG's following website announcement ....

http://tonymadgehjg.proboards.com/threa ... llTo=62725

Work continues to advance in regard to a number of other new HJG projects and revisions slotted for future release.

Mark R.CRANSTON
HJG
aerofoto

Topic author

Re: "NEW" HJG DC-10 Project - "RELEASED"

Postby Splitpin » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:57 pm

Thanks for the heads up Mark ...catch up soon :thumbup:
Splitpin
NZFF Pro

Postby aerofoto » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:31 am

FYI ....

We have today updated our DC-10-10, DC-10-10CF, DC-10-15, and DC-10-40 (NWO/NWA version only) Aircraft Base Packs with new "V3.1" files .... to correct some "very minor" Model related display issues which became evident post release.

PLEASE NOTE: None of these very minor issues affected the performance or functionality of any of these new DC-10 simulations.

We have also today released an updated "V2.1" DC-10 Panels Gauges/Core Files package for our new DC-10 Panels .... this update simply enables the T/O V-Speed Call-Outs to work "in FSX" also.

For further information/clarification regarding these updates please refer to the following HJG forum announcemrnt of today ....

http://tonymadgehjg.proboards.com/threa ... llTo=63046

Mark C
HJG
BOG/CO
&
AKL/NZ
aerofoto

Topic author

Postby cowpatz » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:15 pm

P3D compatibility?
cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Postby deeknow » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:05 pm

Fantastic Mark !!! thanks to the team. Looks great, and I'm an old school 2D fan so doubly pleased :)
deeknow
NZFF Pro

Postby aerofoto » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:45 am

HJG´s FS2004 and FSX (only) "COWPATZ" .... we´re not P3D at all I´m afraid :(

Thanks "DEEKNOW" .... HJG´s got quite a number of new textures to be released this month .... amog which is (hopefully) my set of some 16X historic AIR NZ DC-8-52 and -54F textures (to replace our now very old and inaccurate versions). You can read all about these "HERE"....

"KIWI MSGIC (Air NZ DC-8´s) - The Final Story"
http://tonymadgehjg.proboards.com/threa ... inal-story

The "full/complete" AIR NZ DC-8-52 texture inventory numbers some 30+ texture files. HJG will only host the basic 16X of these though .... and I´m hoping to get the VA interested in both these, and the rest, along with our custom DC-8 panels and soundpacks too .... and which we´ll be happy to provide support for on behalf of the VA if they´re interested ;)

If anyones´s interested .... here´s the link to my other AIR NZ DC-8 history (also at HJG) .... just bear in mind that most of the images represented within the following feature are our early soon to be replaced versions and not the new yet to be released versions evient in my other above AIR NZ DC-8 feature ....

"AIR NZ DC-8 DIGEST"
http://tonymadgehjg.proboards.com/threa ... dc8-digest

HJG currently host 5X variations of AIR NZ DC-10-30 livery coverijng each of the minor changes applied to these airtcraft between 1973 and 83. Again the full set of AIR NZ DC-10-30 liveries is much greater than what HJG currently offer (kike is the case with the DC-8´s .... I did full DC-10 fleet representation) .... and which was also extended to cover each of the major post sale liveries of these aircraft as may be viewed "HERE" within my following AIR NZ Dc-10 history ....

"AIR NZ DC-10 DIGEST"
http://tonymadgehjg.proboards.com/threa ... c10-digest

.... all of which I´d similarly like to get the VA interested in as well along with our new custom DC-10 panels and soundpacks .... along with an HJG provided support deal too ;)

All continuing to go to plan .... further HJG website updates are planned for this month .... along with a few "surprises" intended for December/Christmas release also.

Mark C
HJG
BOG/CO
&
AKL/NZ
Last edited by aerofoto on Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
aerofoto

Topic author

Postby cowpatz » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:17 am

aerofoto wrote:HJG´s FS2004 and FSX (only) "COWPATZ" .... we´re not P3D at all I´m afraid :(

Possibly something worth considering as it is all P3D, X-plane or AF2 going forward.
cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Postby aerofoto » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:20 am

Possibly something worth considering as it is all P3D, X-plane or AF2 going forward

There´s probably nothing we´d like to be able to do more "COWPATZ", but (and like is also our case in regard to requests for VC panels too), for us/HJG it´s something that´s easier said than done.

This´s the reality which restricts or otherwize confronts us/HJG in regard to such community hopes ....

Although long established (18 years service to the FS community this year and which has seen HJG progress from FS2000 .... to FS2002 .... and to its current FS2004 and FSX platforms) .... and despite being quite highly regard too, by some, HJG´s really "just a small group" composed of a 4-man development team (gauges, sounds, physics experts and a historian/technical adviser/co-odinator) along with a few texture artists too.

It´s as much as we can all do to hold HJG together and develop for the FS platforms we currently represent .... FS2004 and FSX.

One of the reasons why HJG´s simulations are probably quite highly regarded is because of the effort we apply into the way we try to represent everything .... by not just representing an aircraft type, but rather, representing each of the sub types of any aircraft type we represent .... and which then feature all of the appropriate technical, panel/gauge, audio, and flight dynanics cutomization necessary (typically aided by real world AOM data) .... in so far as certain FS limitations allow all this to be implemented. Doing things this way results in both a lot of performance, visual, and other sensory variation .... as should be the case, but, which often isn´t evident in regard to a lot of other freeware and commercial simulations available today. One of the prime reasons why this´s all been possible for HJG, to date, is because our development team "know and understand well" the aircraft types we represent .... and seek to try´n represent them as authentically as practical. This variation .... "panel/gauge-wise in particular" .... is one of the reasons why it´s not so practical for us to provide much covetted VC type panels .... simply because in order to do this "properly" we´d need to develop a different/separate VC panel configuration for every aircraft type 2D panel so far represented by us .... and which "isn´t so easy".

A move toward either P3D or X-PLANE requires skills an energy resources which HJG doesn´t currently possess.

It´s one thing for people to want (and HJG "IS" appreciative of peoples hopes of course), but, it´s often an entire different thing again for groups and individuals (lik us) to "be able to deliver" accordingly.

I´ve been representing HJG now for 18 years (since 2000) .... and whilst its´been fun and enjoyment (as well as being shear bloody frustrating too sometimes), the thing I miss most, as a developer/team leader, is not being able to sit down and enjoy what we´ve produced .... outside the realms of development and pre-release testing :( :) No sooner have we finished one project .... then .... we´re into the next one ;)

Although I see my own retirement from HJG looming .... there´s still a few more classic aircraft type projects I´d like to be able to introduce to the HJG flightline before my time´s up, and which are being worked on at this moment, but, I, personally, won´t be among any future generation of HJG team members that might eventually progress the group towards P3D .... if it ever does move in that direction in the future. That´s all for someone else, but, not me :)

Not what some people want to read .... maybe .... BUT .... that´s the way it "IS" .... and whilst we´re also well aware that both FS2004 and FSX do have a finite longevity too ;) :)

Mark C
HJG
BOG/CO
&
AKL/NZ
aerofoto

Topic author

Postby cowpatz » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:19 am

Thanks for the comprehensive reply Mark. I have enjoyed many an aircraft from HJG back when I was using FS2004. I am a 2D panel man so the lack of a VC wasn't so much of an issue for me.
I can see as time progresses that there will be a real lack of quality freeware developed. Just look at what was produced for FS2004 then FSX and now P3D. Check out the AVSIM library and there is practically zero P3D freeware available.
The CBFS group seem to be at the same crossroad as HJG.
The quality and features of currently produced payware is just so good, that apart from the odd exception, freeware developers simply cannot compete. They probably lack (or don't want to learn) the current required modeling skills, time or the resources required to produce similar aircraft....the bar is very high.
It is a shame but hopefully tool kits will be developed to make it easier but only time will tell with that.
As long as you enjoy it then, as with most things in life, keep doing what you're doing and when you no longer do then it's probably time to stop.
cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Postby aerofoto » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:59 am

It´s not that I don´t enjoy it (because I do obviously) .... it´s just that I wish I could "actually enjoy it" :)

What I mean is ....

I wish I could spend time to enjoy it all "like an end user".

BUT .... the show must go on.

There are other projects to move and get out .... and it´s primarily my responsibility to ensure these do all progress .... and any issues that do arise (and they do .... and have) are dealt with as smartly as we can.

As I hinted above .... enjoying the development side of it all is one thing .... BUT .... I sometimes miss being able to take (relaxed) time to "just enjoy it all properly" ;)

I remember reading somewhere .... years ago .... that the more one gets into playing with the inner workings of FS then the more time one tends to spend tinkering/modifying the program as opposed to actually flying it for ones own personal enjoyment .... and speaking of myself (my own HJG develpment experience of the past 18 years) I must say I´m inclined toward agreeing with that .... although I can´t think of a better way to waste time either :)

Fiddling with FS engineering sure beats the hell out of stamp collecting :D

Mark C
BOG/CO
&
AKL/NZ
aerofoto

Topic author

Return to Announcements