News from ORBX

Read and report on flightsim developers progress of upcoming or completed products

News from ORBX

Postby emfrat » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:11 am

Some of you know why I don't like ORBX scenery, but since they seem to be changing their ways, I may need to review my policy. This report on Flightsim.com explains why.

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/content. ... ons-Assets

ATB, MikeW
MikeW
'Propliner' is actually short for 'Proper airliner, with big rumbly radials'

emfrat
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Re: News from ORBX

Postby chopper_nut » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:15 am

ORBX have toyed with the idea of XP before and then gone away. Now they're back apparently. I don't know, I'll believe it when I see it. I would like them to release everything they've done for XP. A 'complete' NZ, even if it is slightly flawed, would be good. Can't see that happening though.
chopper_nut

Re: News from ORBX

Postby toprob » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:22 pm

Everybody comes around to Orbx eventually, even me:) For someone who doesn't buy scenery, I own a few NZ-based Orbx products, everything except Milford, I think... (Since I only fly in NZ, I don't have a need for most of the beautiful airports being released these days, and I also don't like to look too closely at others' work -- just in case it destroys my confidence:)

Orbx has become the 'Apple' of flightsim scenery, moving from designing a product which people want to showing people what they really want next. For a while a lot of folk in a lot of markets went after that ideal market position, and Orbx is one of the few who accomplished it.

Who am I to complain with their market direction? Here's how it works so well:
Orbx -- 'Hey, the future of photoscenery is past, dead! Here's the way of the future really, Orbx landclass-based Regions!'
Fans -- 'Yeah, I hate photoscenery, always have, always will. Orbx is the only way!'
Orbx -- 'We're now working on Aerofly FS2, which is mainly photoscenery, so we may as well release everything for all the sims!'
Fans -- 'Wonderful, thanks for that,I've always maintained that photoscenery is the future!'

As I said, I'm a fan of their business, and they make great scenery. However what they try not to do is to release 'base' scenery which others can build on. So they can be a pain in the 'region' for other developers... So a NZ region using any method for any other sim would be a loooooong shot. But as has been pointed out here, they do change their direction enough to make anything possible.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Return to Announcements