Terra Flora by turbulent designs

Read and report on flightsim developers progress of upcoming or completed products

Terra Flora by turbulent designs

Postby cowpatz » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:59 am

This looks interesting. New trees designed by Russ White and along with some reworked and optimised autogen.
Of course I doubt that NZ's unique treescape will be modeled :(
Interesting to see how the winter textures would work in NZ.

Terra Flora
cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Re: Terra Flora by turbulent designs

Postby toprob » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:12 pm

Yes, I'm really keen to try this out, looks like it might work great in NZ, so a good alternative to FTX Trees.
But I am a sucker for nice trees...
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby Fozzer » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:51 pm

Ta for the heads-up, Chaps!

I am an enthusiastic Tree-Hugger.... :drool: .... and also someone who constantly spends a lot of time on the ground, and skipping over the tree tops at a very low altitude in my various small GA Aeroplanes (Cessna 150), and Gyrocopters (Bensen B8), so these new trees for my FSX Autogen look like a good purchase!...£20.

I need fir trees in cold places, and palm tree in hot places, and a bit of deciduous stuff in between. (I always prefer hot places!).... :rolleyes: ...!

For years I have been using "Gerrish Grey's Tree Set" for my FS 2004 and FSX!

I'll be keeping my eye on/up these new trees .... :wink2: ...!

Paul....Its Tree-Time! .... :groupwave: ...!
Fozzer

Postby toprob » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:42 am

Finally bought this, now that it is at v1.2, but at $40 it was a bit of an expense. Luckily I'm crazy about trees, so I decided to spend more than I normally would on an addon...
Very impressed with the new textures, the trees seem 'fuller', and a lot less repetitive than FTX. However my sim does use a lot of my own trees, so sometimes I have to look hard to see non-Godzone trees. I was hoping that the 'native bush' textures would be able to replace my Godzone textures, but I still prefer mine -- even though I'm not very artistic when it comes to trees:) The new textures are more saturated in colour, making them brighter, and some people have complained about that, but I don't mind it -- they blend better with my own trees than FTX.
A couple of grumbles -- the installation is a bit of a 'black art', so I would certainly recommend reading the manual first. I think they've fixed some of the original install issues, as in installing bits and pieces that are not required, but it still is an unusual install process. However the attitude of 'don't worry, we take care of everything!' is laid on a bit thick.
Some of the local bush textures have the old issue with mipmap wraparound -- giving a tiny slice of the tree truck at the very top, resulting in a black cross over some of the trees.
But the most annoying thing -- the installer automatically installs to all the sims! You can't just choose which you want to install it to. And you can't switch it off from a single sim without uninstalling, apparently. Now I have three active sims, and I do like to have each set up differently, so it was never my intention to install these trees to anything but P3Dv4. I will complain about this, in the hope that they update to a system which allows me to choose what it is installed to.
These trees are still on probation, I need to live with them for a while to make sure that they don't annoy me too much.
If you already have FTX Trees, then these are not such a great improvement, but if you use default trees, you really should grab one of the two available upgrades, and TerraFlora is a good choice!
toprob
NZFF Pro

Return to Announcements