Setting up Saitek Flight Yoke and Throttles

The place to ask for help or solve each others technical issues and discuss hardware

Postby jastheace » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:11 pm

Hi Guys, at the request of a member, and some others may find this useful. please find a guide to setting up the saitek flight yoke and throttle.

1. Get FSUIPC for the version of Flight simulator you are using, this is a far better way (and easier so i am told) way of setting up the yoke and throttle.

2. Open FSUIPC and select the axis tab, this will open up the axis tabs. i prefer to use FSUIPC for handling the axis over the Flight sim axis control. personal preference. if you do use FSUIPC for all your axis control from you yoke and throttle (and pedals too) delete all the FS assignements in the controls menu of FS.

axis tab in FSUIPC

3. Once you have the axis tab open in FSUIPC you can then select the axis you want to assign by clicking on the rescan button and then move the Axis you want to assign. then select Send to FSUIPC, or use FS control. i use the FSUIPC option as it allows you to filter it further on in the configuration setup. Then select from the drop down menu want you want to control with that axis, i.e. pulling or pushing the yoke to control the elevators. then continue to set the other axis you want to control with the yoke and throttle.

Setting axis on throttle to control engine 2

You can also set a general axis control, which is what i do, i set the elevator and aerolons, throttle, mixture and prop pitch as default settings, then i set the specific axis assignments for each aircraft (i.e. level-d 767, Boeing 737 etc) to do this make sure you have the aircraft that you want to set up loaded in the sim, then select the aircraft specific check box in the axis tab, this will ask you if you want to save the settings so far, click yes, it will then ask you if you want to apply the settings to this aircraft, i also select yes, as this adds the default (what you have just set up) to the aircraft. you can then go and change the axis settings just for this particular aircraft. i use two throttle quadrants so i set up the spoiler, engine 1, engine 2 and flaps axis.

when you are setting up the flaps and spoilers you MUST, i repeat MUST select the send direct to FSUIPC not the FS axis check box if you do not the flaps and spoilers will not work.

4. To set up the reverse thrust you will need to select the button+switch tab. Then select aircraft specific tick box, as you want to make this specific to the aircraft you are setting up. it will ask you to select the button you wish to program, to set reverse thrust for engine one, pull the lever you set before as engine one throttle control into the red zone on the throttle quadrant, this selects the button in this zone. it will then show the button number that has been selected. on the right hand side of the window under the control to be sent when selected dialog, select 'Throttle 1 decrease" from the drop box. Under that you will see a control to be repeated while held tick box, select that box. then under that in the control sent when button released drop down select "Throttle 1 cut". that is it you have now set the reverse thrust for that engine. now repeat the above for all the engines that require reverse thrust. you can set the reverse thrust for turboprops in exactly the same way

reverse thrust settings

5. Now go to the joystick calibration tab, here you will set the axis limits and calibrate the axis you have set up earlier. Go through the tabs by pressing the arrows, there is a brief description on what controls are controled under each page. to set the min and maximum ranges of the control, press the control all the way in, (you will either get a positive or negative number depending on the axis you are setting) press the "set" button under the matching number (if it is a positive number it will be the set button on the right of the axis, negative is to the left) the middle "set" button is for the middle of the control, or the neutral zone, this should be zero. this is relative easy for the control surfaces, the flaps/spoilers and throttle controls are a little different.

to set the spoilers/flaps (remember how i said you must select FSUIPC for it to work earlier? here is where it comes into play) you must move the lever all the way to the top and select the "set" button on the right, then move the lever all the way to the bottom (don't pull the lever in to the reverse zone) then select the left "set" button. for the flaps/spoilers you will need to select the reverse check button. what this does is reverses the input from the axis, so when the lever is at the top the flaps/spoilers are up, and at the bottom the flaps/spoilers are deployed, fully extended. see below

flaps and spoilers axis settings

6. Now for the Throttles. you need to set the throttle axis as follows, if you don't you can get some weird results. same procedure applies, just slightly different. set the max and min ranges for the throttles as above, but for the middle or neutral zone you need to set this as the lowest setting(which will be the same as the left number). this ensures that there is no reverse thrust zone set on the axis. it gives you more accurate idle position for the throttles and allows you to use the red reveres thrust zone on the throttle quadrant. you can set a reverse zone on the axis, but it is allot more difficult to use in practice. i find this method works much better and allot more reliably. make sure that the exclude THROTTLEnSET check box is unticked, otherwise you cannot set the axis

Throttle settings

i hope this has helped alittle, if you need more clarification or some help, pm me i should be able to help
In the ongoing battle between objects made of aluminum going hundreds of miles per hour and the ground going zero miles per hour, the ground has yet to lose.

jastheace

Topic author

Postby Naki » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:21 pm

Whoo - looks complicated - thanks for posting this - can you use this for the CH yoke as well?
Naki
NZFF Pro

Postby jastheace » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:28 pm

Naki wrote:
QUOTE (Naki @ Aug 5 2008, 11:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Whoo - looks complicated - thanks for posting this - can you use this for the CH yoke as well?

yes, you can use it for pretty much any control device, you just change the axis to suit you control, i find that fsuipc works very well to control the inputs from the stick or yoke. it isn't that complicated, once you have set up one or two a/c it is very easy after that.

Jason
In the ongoing battle between objects made of aluminum going hundreds of miles per hour and the ground going zero miles per hour, the ground has yet to lose.

jastheace

Topic author

Postby Naki » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:31 pm

Okay thanks - I will refer to this for my recently acquired CH yoke - maybe the tech mod can pin this? Sorry one more question -is that the freeware FSUIPC?
Last edited by Naki on Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Naki
NZFF Pro

Postby jastheace » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:35 pm

unfortunately not, you need to buy it to get all the added techie stuff!!!! best money i have spent, must have add on if i may say so

jastheace

Topic author

Postby HardCorePawn » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:16 am

Why are you using 'buttons' for the reverse thrust?? Why not use the axis settings?

For those with CH stuff... you might want to try this:

http://fsuipc.simflight.com/beta/CH_Controls_with_FSUIPC.pdf
"Son, we are about the break the surly bonds of gravity, and punch the face of God." -- Homer Simpson

HardCorePawn

Postby jastheace » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:50 pm

HardCorePawn wrote:
QUOTE (HardCorePawn @ Aug 5 2008, 10:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why are you using 'buttons' for the reverse thrust?? Why not use the axis settings?

For those with CH stuff... you might want to try this:

http://fsuipc.simflight.com/beta/CH_Controls_with_FSUIPC.pdf

it is a little quirk of the throttle quadrant, it has buttons in the bottom (red) zone of the axis, it doesn't read the axis below the idle point, hence you use the buttons for reverse, not ideal, but the throttle quadrant is more real feeling than the ch throttle, thanks for the link to the ch controls set up!!

jastheace

Topic author

Postby Generic » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:48 pm

Great explanatory post on programming the Saitek Yoke - I've set mine up simililarly. Another thing that people with this yoke might want to do is, for the propellor pitch lever, map the detent to "Propeller Pitch decrease" or "Feather Propellor" to feather CSU props. If you've got an extra throttle quadrant, you can program individual engines' feathering and reverse thrust. FSUIPC is well worth the money, just for the added ability to accurately simulate multis but on top of that the tech support is superb - the program's creator himself usually replies to threads within 10mins or so (depending on the time of day).
Generic

Postby Venge » Sat May 29, 2010 4:41 pm

Where do you usually set up trim tab (aileron)?
I have set up my toe breaks on my rudder but seems a bit odd. The brakes not only apply when I am holing them down with my toe but then they seem to default to 'break on' mode after.

Chris
Near Whangarei

Venge
Forum Addict

Postby Ian Warren » Sat May 29, 2010 5:05 pm

Venge wrote:
QUOTE (Venge @ May 29 2010, 05:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Where do you usually set up trim tab (aileron)?

On your new 'Saitek' yoke controller you will have a default elec. trim switch left and on the right , rudder trim , they should work directly on plugging in , no extra app,s required .
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby Venge » Sat May 29, 2010 7:41 pm

Ok, think I have most things sorted. However, i still get Brakes applying and staying on after releasing toe brake application from either side. To get breaks off i have to hold both toe brakes in for some reason.

Chris
Near Whangarei

Venge
Forum Addict

Postby Ian Warren » Sat May 29, 2010 10:36 pm

You should be touch both and they will release , In settings check the Controller type are both have the same setting !
Last edited by Ian Warren on Sat May 29, 2010 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby Adamski » Sun May 30, 2010 4:04 am

Venge wrote:
QUOTE (Venge @ May 29 2010, 07:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok, think I have most things sorted. However, i still get Brakes applying and staying on after releasing toe brake application from either side. To get breaks off i have to hold both toe brakes in for some reason.

I have toe brakes mapped to my CH rudder pedals and - believe me - it's still a total pain. It doesn't matter what combination of settings in Win7, CH, FSX, FSUIPC I try (sensitivity, dead zones, you name it), I still find one or other brake "sticking". Worse - sometimes I think they're on even when the red text indicator isn't showing and I'm wondering why I'm slewing all over the taxiway.

I can see that these axes on my CH pedals often send spikes and - even with dead zones set quite large - this is throwing FSX into a tizz.

FYI, I also sometimes have to hold both down quickly (then release) - or quickly apply/take off the parking brake (hardly realistic!!).
Adamski
NZFF Pro

Postby Venge » Sun May 30, 2010 6:41 am

Ok, been perusing various topics on the rudder problems. Apparently no matter what rudder or program you use to run it, the rudders need to be used with Reversed box checked. I am off to work in the next few minutes so will try this later and see if I have any success.

Hope it is OK to use this thread as the Official NZFF Saitek/FSUICP help and info thread smile.gif
Last edited by Venge on Sun May 30, 2010 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chris
Near Whangarei

Venge
Forum Addict

Postby Ian Warren » Sun May 30, 2010 11:12 am

Weird ! I,m exactly opposite , had CH rudders now for nearly a decade and never had problems , from the very start they were plug in and play , FSUIPC this i brought for FS9 many years ago but never needed to used it for FSX , wonder if they may be the cause of the problems ?
Last edited by Ian Warren on Sun May 30, 2010 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby Chairman » Sun May 30, 2010 2:31 pm

Adamski wrote:
QUOTE (Adamski @ May 30 2010, 04:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have toe brakes mapped to my CH rudder pedals and - believe me - it's still a total pain. It doesn't matter what combination of settings in Win7, CH, FSX, FSUIPC I try (sensitivity, dead zones, you name it), I still find one or other brake "sticking".

I can see that these axes on my CH pedals often send spikes and - even with dead zones set quite large - this is throwing FSX into a tizz.

Firstly, welcome to the Insomniacs Club tongue.gif

Secondly, does your settings cocktail include setting a delta value ? I didn't spot that particular setting (in fsuipc) but after I did *all* the control flutter I was experiencing disappeared - the yokes stopped dancing back and forward, the throttles stopped jiggling around, and I was able to reduce the dead zone in the pedals and joystick to a bare minimum so that they are actually useful for flying eggbeaters again.

Gary
The above post is in the public domain and is guaranteed by the manufacturer to contain no references to anything illegal or discussion of piracy, although this signature may contain traces of nuts.
Chairman
Sim-holic

Postby jastheace » Sun May 30, 2010 2:55 pm

i have just come in from working on the pcb designs for my g1000's and notice this post, it is a quirk of the programming/pots of the saitek rudders that they are reversed, for some reason wether it be they put the wires in backwards or what i am not sure, but yes you do need to have the brakes reversed otherwise that are on when you don't pree the, and off when you stand on them, very strange.

jastheace

Topic author

Postby Adamski » Sun May 30, 2010 10:22 pm

Chairman wrote:
QUOTE (Chairman @ May 30 2010, 02:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Firstly, welcome to the Insomniacs Club tongue.gif

Secondly, does your settings cocktail include setting a delta value ? I didn't spot that particular setting (in fsuipc) but after I did *all* the control flutter I was experiencing disappeared - the yokes stopped dancing back and forward, the throttles stopped jiggling around, and I was able to reduce the dead zone in the pedals and joystick to a bare minimum so that they are actually useful for flying eggbeaters again.

Zzzzzzzzz ...

Yes - I was using delta values (didn't seem to help).

Well ... I think I finally sorted it. I Googled around a bit and found something I hadn't tried before: totally disable the joystick/throttle/rudders in FSX and just do the whole thing through FSUIPC axis setup. Seems to work a treat - much smoother and I can control the toe brakes better. The only problem is that sometimes FSUIPC seems to "forget" the axis assignments.
Adamski
NZFF Pro

Postby Venge » Sun May 30, 2010 10:32 pm

Calibrated the rudder (through FSUIPC) and then just checked the Reverse box and now works a treat. I ended up completely shutting off FSX from 'seeing' my yoke, throttles and rudders and do it all through FSUIPC. I unassigned all axis in FSX and unchecked the Enable Controller boxes in FSX for all the gear as well.
I must say, when I first opened FSUIPC and tried setting things up the first time I felt I was in way over my head. But using this sticky as a guide and example on how things worked in FSUIPC I am starting to see the light.
Huge thanks again to Jastheace for starting this thread and providing a good basis with with to work in FSUIPC, was a life saver for my serenity concerning FSX smile.gif

Chris
Near Whangarei

Venge
Forum Addict

Postby Ian Warren » Sun May 30, 2010 10:43 pm

WICKED ! pleased Chris , I no where to come for my ... um rudder fix's rolleyes.gif
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Next

Return to Technical Issues