CPU upgrade

The place to ask for help or solve each others technical issues and discuss hardware

CPU upgrade

Postby jpreou » Tue May 12, 2020 8:42 am

Here are my specs...

Corsair H80i water cooler, Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz, Kingston HyperX Predator 4x8GB DDR4 3200MHz, Asus Prime Z370-P II, Gigabyte GTX1080 8GB, EVGA SupeNova 750WG3 80+ Gold PSU, Samsung 128GB 840 Pro SSD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 3TB SATA3, LG GH24NSB0 24x DVD writer black, Cooler Master N600 case, Logitech LS21 speakers, Win10 Home

I've been keeping an eye on CPU availability and this board can take an i9-9900K / KF
If make that upgrade (and nothing else) I'll be buying some more time with this rig; the KF is down to $869 now.
In another year or so I'd probably update the graphics card too, but I found from past experience that if you miss upgrading the CPU and they no longer become available to purchase, you could end up replacing the CPU, mainboard and memory all at once! (that's exactly what happened last time; I didn't keep an eye on 'max-CPU' availability.

... welcome comments on whether this CPU upgrade is worthwhile a) generally, an b) from a flight sim perspective (currently P3D 4.5, *might* end up going v5 once all add-ons updated, *probably* end up MS2020 though that is currently speculation)

Cheers ... Jeff
-- Jeff, Rolleston, NZ
P3Dv4.x and a bunch of add-on stuff... some 'global' products, but otherwise NZ-only
jpreou
Forum Addict

Topic author

Re: CPU upgrade

Postby Adamski » Tue May 12, 2020 2:54 pm

jpreou wrote:b) from a flight sim perspective (currently P3D 4.5, *might* end up going v5 once all add-ons updated, *probably* end up MS2020 though that is currently speculation).

Jeff - I wouldn't bother with P3Dv5. To be honest, I think LM have seriously lost the plot. The only thing that keeps me running v5 at all these days is the sense that I need to justify all the money spent on add-ons for it over the years. I'm not re-buying v5 updates to existing v4.5 aircraft - just enjoying the ones that update for free (A2A etc.). After an [often frustrating] session in P3Dv5, each time I fire up XP11, it's like a breath of fresh air.

However you improve your hardware, P3Dv4.5 will run better - and I'd hold out for MS2020.

Adam.
Adamski
NZFF Pro

Postby jpreou » Tue May 12, 2020 3:48 pm

Cheers Adam. Just trying to get a handle on whether to upgrade on a $900 buy now, or just wait a couple years and go for a new PC.
Either way, this PC will be kept for the kids and in-house multiplayer so I don't want it getting too far behind and a *total* mismatch in performance!
I might need to do both and have the argument with the other-half in 18 months time ("why do you need a computer? didn't you just upgrade the last one? didn't you tell me it would last another 2 or 3 years? why do you need to spend more money again") ... and so it goes! :)
-- Jeff, Rolleston, NZ
P3Dv4.x and a bunch of add-on stuff... some 'global' products, but otherwise NZ-only
jpreou
Forum Addict

Topic author

Postby cowpatz » Tue May 12, 2020 7:48 pm

As is usually the case the next generation of Intel CPUs, due soon, will have a different socket and hence require a Mobo that has the 1200 socket. So effectively the 9900 will be the last of the line. I’d hold off for now. I’m enjoying 4.5 at the moment.....going well.
ORBX, Godzone, ASKy, tomato shade and some good flying add ons really help.
cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Postby Dash8captain » Wed May 13, 2020 12:25 am

Adam - to be honest I don't agree with your Analysis of V5

To me its everything i could of wished for, hugely improves frame rates ( I get 40-50fps in the cockpit of the pmdg 747)

The visuals are amazing, yes truesky is beta and definitely needs improvements but its nearly there!

I am 96% happy with V5, just waiting for a few more addons to be compatible

Regarding MFS2020 I'm a bit skeptical to be honest, from alpha testers I have heard that the eye candy videos/screens aren't what the video teasers make it out to be ...

In saying that, I'm keeping an open mind about it, but wont have the space to have both V5 and MFS2020 so if MFS2020 wants to be a replacement it better be good!
Dash8captain

Postby jpreou » Wed May 13, 2020 8:26 am

For me, v5 will likely come down to cost. I will probably upgrade the CPU because, as I said, this PC will become the family gaming PC when I replace it, so upgrading it will keep it closer in spec to whatever I buy later. f course, v5 itself is a cost, and if I end up having to fork for add-ons then the answer will likely be 'no' given how little simming I do, and the fact that v4.5 is running just fine, and the fact that MS2020 is on the horizon.
What I do want to try over the next couple of weeks is multiplayer in P3D but I haven't found much info on 'public' servers, other than FSCloud (installed, not yet run).
Thanks for all your input.
-- Jeff, Rolleston, NZ
jpreou
Forum Addict

Topic author

Postby deeknow » Wed May 13, 2020 8:53 am

Marginal gains Jeff for a big outlay, I dont think the i9 is going to make a lot of difference. I would personally hold off until your in a position to replace the m/b and CPU with either the next gen Intel or an AMD ryzen setup. I'm currently on an i5-2600K overclocked and have just ordered parts for a new AMD rig.
deeknow
NZFF Pro

Postby jpreou » Wed May 13, 2020 9:48 am

That's what I'm being told from several avenues (marginal gains) ... at least as far as pure flight sim is concerned.
Of course, keeping the PC 'alive' for longer term family gaming brings another dimension.
It will be expensive having TWO capable systems in the house. Damn you multiplayer gaming and your vociferous appetite for power!!! :)
Thinking cap on...
-- Jeff, Rolleston, NZ
jpreou
Forum Addict

Topic author

Postby cowpatz » Wed May 13, 2020 10:47 am

Your rig should run V5. Are you overclocking?
The GPU might be limiting but apparently the coming 2004 windows 10 update helps a great deal with the posted VRAM issues.
cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Postby cowpatz » Wed May 13, 2020 10:50 am

deeknow wrote:I'm currently on an i5-2600K overclocked and have just ordered parts for a new AMD rig.

I'm really keen to see how this AMD rig performs. There is an issue with AMD GPUs at the moment so might pay to go Nvidia or wait for a fix.
cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Postby jpreou » Wed May 13, 2020 11:27 am

I think I o/c'd by maybe .1 or .2 GHz --- not much as I had never done it before and I was being cautious.
v4.5 runs fine --- I don't go for 'max' sliders, favoring performance over max eye-candy (though I don't like them too low either!)

I only upgraded to the 1080 about 18 months ago when I wanted to trial VR (see other posts in these forums from that time; hired Vive Pro but it wasn't for me).

Otherwise, I have no complaints about the current rig and settings. My determination will now be on whether to spend the $$$ to keep the rig 'fresh' for family gaming rather than any consideration for flight sim.

When MS2020 comes out, is stabilised, supports VR *and* has all the relevant NZ scenery and add-ons or built-in functionality (real weather, clouds, atc, aircraft, etc) --- then I'll review my options for a new rig purchase.

Thanks all.
-- Jeff, Rolleston, NZ
jpreou
Forum Addict

Topic author

Postby deeknow » Wed May 13, 2020 2:51 pm

cowpatz wrote:
deeknow wrote:I'm currently on an i5-2600K overclocked and have just ordered parts for a new AMD rig.

I'm really keen to see how this AMD rig performs. There is an issue with AMD GPUs at the moment so might pay to go Nvidia or wait for a fix.

Actually I wen't for a 2060 Super in the end w the AMD CPU. But I believe the AMD GPU driver issues have been sorted, when was the most recent report you saw that said there were still issues, would be interested to know
deeknow
NZFF Pro

Postby cowpatz » Wed May 13, 2020 7:22 pm

I was reading through the AVSIM forums a few days ago and it was mentioned there. LM have approached AMD for a fix. I guess once AMD has checked that Goat simulator is working ok they may look at P3D :D
cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Return to Technical Issues