Bimbo question: Can I set up a real skinny profile in W7 for flight-simming?

The place to ask for help or solve each others technical issues and discuss hardware

Bimbo question: Can I set up a real skinny profile in W7 for flight-simming?

Postby Gonebush » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:50 pm

OK, I'm an Apple user. Forgive what might be a Klutz question.

I run FSX and X-Plane 11 on a Windows 7 PC. It is, or was, a custom-built simming machine with high-end GPU and CPU. It was dedicated to sim software. Each sim ran from its own partition. Over time I've added other software so that I can download add-ons etc.

FSX began to run slower and slower. I got fed up looking for fixes on the Interweb. I spent more time searching and fiddling than time on FSX. So I switched to X-Plane 11. For a while I had glorious frame rates. But alas, things are slowing down on X-Plane too. Boot-up from cold takes ages now.

I checked Task Manager and discovered an ocean of processes hogging memory and grunt. I haven't a clue what most do because - typically of Windows - the process names are all indecipherable.

I would dearly love to set up a flight-simming profile so that I don't have to manually shut down these unnecessary processes every time I want to fly. Can that be done easily in Windows 7?

Thanks
Last edited by Gonebush on Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gonebush

Topic author

Re: Bimbo question: Can I set up a real skinny profile in W7 for flight-simming?

Postby emfrat » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:17 pm

This page has a couple of links which may help:

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/ ... hp?t=12499

I used Ken's original program in my FS9 on XP3, and it worked very well. When I moved to FSX on Win7, it was less successful, but the main problem was my underpowered machine struggling to load hundreds of aircraft, masses of AI traffic, and huge scenery files. Later on when I got a new machine, FSX ran sweetly, without the staggers, so I didn't reinstall Ken's program.

Cheers
MikeW
'Propliner' is actually short for 'Proper airliner, with big rumbly radials'

emfrat
NZFF Pro

Re: Bimbo question: Can I set up a real skinny profile in W7 for flight-simming?

Postby jpreou » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:10 am

You can go some way by creating a batch file to stop services and shutdown unwanted processes. I do, but to be frank, it doesn't make a huge amount of difference. My 'slow down' is in the loading time for P3Dv4 even though I have mostly everything in the scenery library unticked except NZ stuff. Even just NZ, there is an awful lot of scenery and other files to parse. Once it is loaded and I am flying then it is ok.
-- Jeff, Rolleston, NZ
P3Dv4.x and a bunch of add-on stuff... some 'global' products, but otherwise NZ-only
jpreou
Forum Addict

Return to Technical Issues