Hurray - and about time too!

The place to ask for help or solve each others technical issues and discuss hardware

Hurray - and about time too!

Postby emfrat » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:05 pm

Win7 user fights back and wins :D
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-36640464
MikeW
'Propliner' is actually short for 'Proper airliner, with big rumbly radials'

emfrat
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Re: Hurray - and about time too!

Postby Ian Warren » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:34 pm

Not so strangely , the WIN10 did its the .. I'll decide mode !
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby cowpatz » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:42 pm

Ian when your machine "auto updated to Win 10" did you have "automatically install windows updates" selected as an option in Win 7?
cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Postby Ian Warren » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:58 pm

cowpatz wrote:Ian when your machine "auto updated to Win 10" did you have "automatically install windows updates" selected as an option in Win 7?

Yes I believe it was on, normally I let updates come thru, I'll have to check, the FS PC is doing really silly things at the moment, FSX disappeared again, what I.m doing is going thru it, Just completed a fix install and that was a fail, so its a complete un-install, the Win10 one thing Greg said and is true is get to learn it .
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby cowpatz » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:05 pm

Yeah unfortunately Win 10 came out as a recommended update so it would have just done it's thing.
Very presumptuous of Microsoft.
cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Postby Ian Warren » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:31 pm

I think the biggest thing is require that PC specific for artwork, the editing and all involved , to learn to navigate is extra time consuming and a lotta extra crap ya don't need .. and many off these are connected to app's and games which I don't use.
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby emfrat » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:09 pm

cowpatz wrote:Very presumptuous of Microsoft.

As far as I can see, almost everything MS has done with Win10 is illegal here in Oz. Readers' Digest has been prosecuted and fined several times, for using the same 'double negative' opt in / out method to trick people into accepting terms and payments for stuff they don't want. I don't see why they (MS) cannot be charged with theft (of bandwidth) .

If you take something of mine, with the intention of permanently depriving me of the use of it, that is theft.

I pay for 15GB / 30 days. Microsoft say that accepting Win10 means I agree to let them use as much of my bandwidth as they feel like, without advising me further. In Win7 I can say 'tell me when updates are available and let me decide when to d/load and install them, I'm OK with that - but for W10, MS want to push (= download to my 'poota at their convenience) and then tell me the new stuff is ready to install.
So with 500MB as a daily allowance, I could find that MS, without my informed consent, can chew up 20 MB of bandwidth. For me that means dial-up speed until the monthly renewal. For a lot of other people it means penalty charges for exceeding their bandwidth allowance, and those charges can be as much as AUD$3 / MB. Why has it not been challenged? It is dead-set criminal.
MikeW
'Propliner' is actually short for 'Proper airliner, with big rumbly radials'

emfrat
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby Ian Warren » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:47 pm

Funny you say that Mike, as you know my setup, this PC is still XP because the hardware I have won't wok with anything else , surely you like me are not the only ones with a trusted OS , even then XP was $600NZ off the shelf at now Dead Dickies when first released .. today they dictate what you should use, and worst such workable programs such TS now fail .... I maybe be to able add other others ... course shut it down.

Now the Shut down scenario! won't affect me other than my website but it would be BLOODY funny to see these hand held app's that used regular get shut down , you would get a population walking around in circles for months :huh: .... :wacko: .... and :blink:
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Return to Technical Issues