A little 'simplified' guidance on computer upgrade please.

The place to ask for help or solve each others technical issues and discuss hardware

Postby IslandBoy77 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:56 pm

Rotordude wrote:
QUOTE (Rotordude @ Oct 13 2010, 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Those are awesome shots, I would hate to choose because I cant.

I was not going to continue, but since you asked.

Like I said, I asked a question "don't you think some of your remarks are a tad condescending?" you have answered that you dont feel you have, so all's good end of subject smile.gif

i must say thank you on that matter, I always thought my ASUS mobo with Intel CPU's and EVGA NVIDIA gfx card were awesome, apparently not dry.gif Is the Auzentech Prelude ok? I hope so

Yep, we'll call it quits there - interesting how we each take different things from a conversation! biggrin.gif

I haven't come across Auzentech - where did you learn about them / decide to purchase? Were you primarily interested in price or performance with the purchase? I'd be interested to know in case I come across Auzentech from any of my suppliers in the future.

I chose to share my dislike for the Asus brand as coming from someone who has had to go 'in to bat' over warranty support for a few customers with Asus gear and found their service / attitude woeful, and I have also found all the Asus boards I sold in the past did have squealing capacitors. People are welcome to buy Asus or not, I just won't sell them and thought others might like to know some 'inside info'. It's entirely possible that Asus has finally got around to fixing the noisy capacitors in the last year, but given how many years they've been that way, I wouldn't be holding my breath on that one.

I think we've all come to agree that if a person is happy with their rig, it's all good. I find it hard to get across an assessment to a genuine question without other people feeling like I might be having at them indirectly - not sure how I can phrase things differently, as I want to convey what I consider to be 'best option' for questions like the one from Pete. Partly I'm trying to have at the 'guru mentality' that I've seen many here express - in that Intel / nVidia is god in simming. There often seems to be almost a disregard / dissing for / of AMD / ATI overall, and I firmly believe that the disregard is misplaced and out of line with reality, both in theoretical terms and in real terms. I'd be doing the questionees a dis-service, I believe, if I didn't offer a more cost-effective solution: which is what AMD / ATI does.

Ah well - such is the makeup of turn-based conversations! laugh.gif
Last edited by IslandBoy77 on Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IslandBoy77

Postby Pete1800ftmin » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:38 pm

Hi there......hello......itsme.....Pete.Im still here. smile.gif
No seriously guys please dont argue!!!.
That was a very interesting discussion to read.
I just thought I was going to wander into Harvey Norman and pick somthing up!!!
Never thought about a build.
I still feel stuck though.See I dont understand what the whole build thing is really all about.
Perhaps I should just go with a good model from a shop.I want to PM you again Pete but I cant cause it only lets you have one go every 24hrs.Id be interested in having a little chat about what you could do for me regarding a build.
Pete.
Pete1800ftmin

Topic author

Postby Rotordude » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:44 pm

Islandboy, Yeah had an Auzentech card now for 18 months, brilliant X-fi based unit better than the creative it replaced. A little bit more outlay with the Texas Instruments 627SM opamp fitted but worth it if you are a bit of a audiophile it brings back that nice analog warmth that music used to have.

Pete1800ftmin wrote:
QUOTE (Pete1800ftmin @ Oct 13 2010, 10:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi there......hello......itsme.....Pete.Im still here. smile.gif
No seriously guys please dont argue!!!.

No arguements here Pete, just a debate that's ended amicably smile.gif

Building is always the best option, you control what goes into the end product.
Last edited by Rotordude on Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards always
Pete
Rotordude
Sim-holic

Postby Pete1800ftmin » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:06 pm

Rotordude wrote:
QUOTE (Rotordude @ Oct 13 2010, 10:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Islandboy, Yeah had an Auzentech card now for 18 months, brilliant X-fi based unit better than the creative it replaced. A little bit more outlay with the Texas Instruments 627SM opamp fitted but worth it if you are a bit of a audiophile it brings back that nice analog warmth that music used to have.

No arguements here Pete, just a debate that's ended amicably smile.gif

Building is always the best option, you control what goes into the end product.

Good on ya for that.No I sensed it was amicable.Thankyou both for your input.It has been a most enjoyable evening reading your posts.
Regards from Pete.
Pete1800ftmin

Topic author

Postby Ian Warren » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:18 pm

Superb Screens cool.gif Its what its about , the U2 over VLC , yip that Albatross tho , Hmm , yip have it hangered , maybe a walk to Skysim and check out my fave the Hawk winkyy.gif Im just pleased people are upgrading , a few dollars and you have the world .
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Issues