Why does my plane keep banking to the left

The place to ask for help or solve each others technical issues and discuss hardware

Why does my plane keep banking to the left

Postby Aviator 1 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:08 pm

Hey everyone, Does anyone know why in flight sim the airplane during flight always wants to bank left, if i left the plane flying on a straight heading off autopilot and left the plane to carry on that course the plane will actually starting doing circles. I have tried trims and everything. The same thing happens if its a single engine or a 777. This is really annoying. any advice how to solve it ?
Aviator 1
Sim-holic

Topic author

Re: Why does my plane keep banking to the left

Postby chopper_nut » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:11 pm

I presume that you've calibrated your controllers?
chopper_nut
NZFF Pro

Postby scaber » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:27 pm

More fuel in the left wing tank - or maybe you're using all your fuel from the right tank?
|---------- Virtual Tour and Panoramic Photography ---------|
|-------------------- greg mckenzie, Christchurch -------------------|
scaber

Postby Aviator 1 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:15 pm

I found out the issue, it has to do with the realism settings you need to turn them right down and it stops the issue. I did find after about 2 months of not using P3D that the rudder pedal to the right keep moving on its own even with zero wind which happens on all aircraft. I have gone though the setting and checked everything and the only hardware plugged in asides from mouse and keyboard its not conflicting with other devices so i am a bit stumped. Looking forward to the new Microsoft flight sim,
Aviator 1
Sim-holic

Topic author

Postby Adamski » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:40 pm

Which rudder pedals are you using? Also - (the predictable question) have you calibrated the rudder in Windows (as well as whatever else you've done in P3D)?

Final question(s): do you have FSUIPC? Is there a way you can actually see any uncommanded input on-screen for the rudder.

I'm intrigued, because I've had similar problems - but maybe not quite as severe as yours. I always put it down to torque because, as you say, it happens in zero wind as well.

I've owned a succession of Saitek rudder pedals and I have to say they're pretty chronically made - and the software is even worse. It's all I can afford though, so I've had to live with the odd mis-calibration and spiking (even from new).

One thought. Check your left/right brake toe brakes calibration as well. It's just possible that one of them could be being partially applied.

Adam.

EDIT: I just realised we're talking about *banking* not yawing (!!). Please disregard the "toe brakes" stuff!
Adamski
NZFF Pro

Postby Fozzer » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:22 am

The same thing happens to me every time I nail my left foot to the floor.

Paul.... :wink2: ... :wink2: ...!
Fozzer
NZFF Pro

Postby Olderndirt » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:48 am

Most planes in RL fly a little bit crooked - this is where you as the pilot come in. Take a look at it in 'chase' camera view and watch for inadvertent control movements then watch your correction.
Olderndirt

Postby Aviator 1 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:55 pm

I have calibrated everything including updated drivers but appears to be a Saitek thing. Its nothing to do with torque of the engines or with wind. I have setup the sim with zero wind and the rudder is moving to the right just backwards and forwards, it then stops momentarily then repeats its self. Its impossible to steer on the ground and of course fly because its yawing all the time.

i have not got it setup yet but unsure if the problem will go away with the honey comb flight yoke and pedals.
Aviator 1
Sim-holic

Topic author

Postby Sonnyj » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:36 pm

Hi Aviator,
Could be a potentiometer problem. Sometimes they have a bad or worn sector. Do you have FSUIPC? or can you get a multimeter onto the 'pot' contacts to check the resistance.
Sonnyj
Sim-holic

Postby emfrat » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:04 pm

If the rudder is moving right, something is telling it to do that, and in any case that should not cause a bank to the left. Make sure all the Windows default keyboard assignments are inactive. You might have a stuck key sending a false signal.
In my FS9.1 and my FSX I had CH Yoke, Quad, and Pedals mapped in FSUIPC and once I realised I had to eliminate all other inputs it all worked. Disable Joystick, clear all Windows assignments was the remedy -BUT- I know nothing about P3D.
Hope this helps
MikeW
'Propliner' is actually short for 'Proper airliner, with big rumbly radials'

emfrat
NZFF Pro

Postby Aviator 1 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:03 pm

I will test the connectors but in control panel everything appears to be functioning normally as they should. The one thing that has me stumped is everything was working fine before, nothing was changed in settings and i decided to reset the settings and reconfigure including dial right down the realism settings which was the cause of one of my issues where the brakes were locked hard all the time and aircraft would always pull to the right.

Its not a banking issue but yawing to the right, I would have thought it could be a pot issue because its not locked hard over its moving back and fourth on its own receiving a false signal. Maybe time for a new joystick to try. Anyone have a joystick they wish to sell ?
Aviator 1
Sim-holic

Topic author

Postby Adamski » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:05 pm

Whereabouts are you (physically)? I have various old sticks in various condition(s) that may not be a total solution but could at least indicate whether the problem lies in your current stick/rudder setup. I'm in Auckland.

Adam.
Adamski
NZFF Pro

Postby Aviator 1 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:38 am

Hey Adam, thanks for the offer I am near Wellington, Ill try PB Tech
Aviator 1
Sim-holic

Topic author

Postby Adamski » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:21 am

Aviator 1 wrote:Hey Adam, thanks for the offer I am near Wellington, Ill try PB Tech

What's your current setup?

I don't think PB Tech has much in the way of FS gear these days. There's always [new] stuff on Trademe, but it's never cheap.

Adam.
Adamski
NZFF Pro

Postby toprob » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:24 am

Be patient -- this may sort itself out by September, with a corresponding move to the right....
OnlineUser avatar
toprob
NZFF Pro

Return to Technical Issues