Moving scenery/sim objects to a different drive!

The place to ask for help or solve each others technical issues and discuss hardware

Moving scenery/sim objects to a different drive!

Postby Barrington » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:11 am

:huh: Hi,
I ahve FSX on an SSD drive which is filling up rather quickly.
Can someone please guide or direct me as to what is required to move the above files onto another drive
and have FSX still recognise them?
I understand this is quite common when the need for space is paramount,
Also it would be really appreciated if whoever can help can explain in layman's language as opposed to IT techos............
Appreciate any help on this subject if someone can :rolleyes:
Barrington
Barrington
Forum Addict

Topic author

Re: Moving scenery/sim objects to a different drive!

Postby Mynameisnemo » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:52 am

Hi,

Not going to be doing my usual job in work and being over technical, so tried to do it as basic as possible.

First step, create a folder on the drive you want the scenery to be copied too. (right click, new > new folder)
Second step, slect the scenery you want to copy and press ctrl + c together to copy the scenery to the "virtual clipboard", or right click and copy
Third step, go to the folder you have just created and press ctrl + V together to paste the scenery, or right click and paste.
Fourth step, open the sim and go to the addon scenery, click add new (not at the sim computer at the moment) and then navigate to the folder where the scenery has been placed and then add from there.

Hopefully this will help.
Mynameisnemo
Forum Addict

Postby toprob » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:57 am

The best and safest way is always going to be uninstall/reinstall FSX, choosing a different install folder.

If you don't want to reinstall, then you can use symbolic links to shift specific scenery to a different drive. This lets you shift (or install) scenery to your new drive and have it still appear on the old drive, freeing up the space there. There's a good bit of info for FSX here.

You can also try as Nemo suggested, but bear in mind that this will break any support for updates or uninstallers, as they may not be able to find the shifted scenery.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby Barrington » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:25 pm

Many thanks for the input Nemo and Toprob.
I'll do some more reading up etc before attempting any change :clap:
Barrington
Forum Addict

Topic author

Return to Technical Issues