Moving 'Sim Objects' to another drive

The place to ask for help or solve each others technical issues and discuss hardware

Moving 'Sim Objects' to another drive

Postby Barrington » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:38 pm

I recall someone posting sometime ago, what is required to move just the 'Sim Objects' from one drive to another and still have FSX recognise the change.
My SSD is building up and I may have to implement such change..........
If anyone can provide the instructions (in laymans terms please), or direct me to where i can get them, I would appreciate it.
Many thanks :huh: :huh:
Barrington
Forum Addict

Topic author

Re: Moving 'Sim Objects' to another drive

Postby Ian Warren » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:29 am

Something I can't help you with least not to run, so you want to run the aircraft from another drive ? .... or you simply just want store them? which I have done.
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby toprob » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:12 am

Are you talking about symbolic links? Searching 'fsx symbolic links' gets a few handy results, including this:

http://c-aviation.net/mklink-j-useful-t ... -fs-files/
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby Barrington » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:11 pm

I read somewhere that you can store simobjects (or scenery I think) on a separate drive to the main FSX drive and
with some specific coding, the FSX apparently recognises the selected aircraft as if it was in the main root directory. I think
that's how it works and am sure that somebody did a paper on it on the forum (mind you it may have been another forum).
Maybe someone can direct me to information on how to do this - in laymans language!!!
Barrington
Forum Addict

Topic author

Postby mfraser » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:22 pm

simobjects.cfg etc
Is this what you're talking about? It works the same in FSX as it does in P3D.

I did something similar just this morning..... I don't like AI aircraft cluttering up my simobjects/airplanes folder so I moved them to a separate AI folder. By editing my C:/Program Data/Lockheed Martin/Prepar3d/simobjects.cfg the sim still knows where to find them. I simply made an extra entry at the end of the .cfg:

[Entry.14]
Title=Addon Airplanes
Path=SimObjects\Airplanes\AI
Required=False
Active=True
mfraser
Sim-holic

Postby Ian Warren » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:41 pm

Matt , I'm still getting use to my P3D this week, I'm a luck bugger, I had both Greg and Marty Gift me a copy of P3D3.5 , as an experiment I simply dragged Rob's Ashburton across , I can see this program really has real potential, so many things familiar to FSX but with a pretty interface , I even like rather the change of aircraft is the word 'Vehicles' , sounds senseable.
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Return to Technical Issues