VLC SI & NI Airfields Installation

Information and support relating to this forthcoming New Zealand Vector Land Class addon.

Re: VLC SI & NI Airfields Installation

Postby Ian Warren » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:13 pm

I have been fortunate to by-pass FSX Steam , really I have know idea for a fix, I would have thought a manual install would have done it , I'd maybe bite the bullet and go P3D , I was shocked with the performance increased, but even then I'm still in a learning process, A lot is similar and many areas easier.
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby Pato » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:37 pm

Ian Warren wrote:I have been fortunate to by-pass FSX Steam , really I have know idea for a fix, I would have thought a manual install would have done it , I'd maybe bite the bullet and go P3D , I was shocked with the performance increased, but even then I'm still in a learning process, A lot is similar and many areas easier.
There may not be a problem. Perhaps Robin may get time to comment. As I said, I am just curious as to the difference between Radar88 and my Registry entries. At least this has given me the confidence to become a bit more Registry savvy.
Pato
Forum Addict

Topic author

Postby toprob » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:53 pm

Can't really know what is going on from here, it's a pity I can't access your registry:) Would make life a lot easier....
It is quite normal to have two entirely different registry entries for FSX:se on different systems. (More, if you count the slight difference between X86 and X64 systems).
Either you'll have a Steam install which emulates FSX (most common for 'clean' systems) or you'll have a separate Steam install which knows that it isn't FSX, and keeps everything separate.
Not really too sure which you have, I suspect it might be a slightly messed-up one or the other. There are a couple of ways to tell without trying to decipher the registry. One is to run FSX:se, access the Scenery Library, click ok or whatever to exit, forcing a library rebuild. Then exit FSX.
Now search your entire system for the last saved scenery.cfg. This would mean opening up File Explorer, going to the root of each drive, clicking in the search box so that the search tools appear across the top, drop down 'date modified' and select 'today'. Then type scenery.cfg into the search box and wait for it to finish the search. At least one of the results should be the one you just saved, you can tell by putting the cursor over it and viewing the date modified, if it is not visible onscreen already. find out where it is located (right-click, open file location) and let me know where it is.
(EDIT) actually, type scenery.cfg in the search box first, and then select 'today', otherwise it can get fiddly.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby Pato » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:30 pm

Hi Robin, It shows up in C:\Program Data\Microsoft\FSX although I have Steam install on my E:\ drive. Nothing shows up on the E:\ drive.
Pato
Forum Addict

Topic author

Postby toprob » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:34 pm

Yes, Program Data is almost always going to be on your system drive, and doesn't relate to the actual FSX install.
But it does look like you have a FSX:se install which emulates a boxed FSX install.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby Pato » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:47 pm

toprob wrote:Yes, Program Data is almost always going to be on your system drive, and doesn't relate to the actual FSX install.
But it does look like you have a FSX:se install which emulates a boxed FSX install.
In that case I hope I can install VLC NI and SI Airfields this time.
Also, before the clean out when I installed RealNZ Wellington, Marlborough and Paraparaumu they were installed into the usual MS Games on my C:\ drive, I am hoping that when
I reinstall them they will install on my E:\ where Steam FSX is installed.?
Pato
Forum Addict

Topic author

Postby toprob » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:04 pm

Just bear in mind that no matter what your simulator is called, most of the VLC, Real NZ and Godzone installers only support FSX and maybe Prepar3d v2, and will only look for the normal FSX(or P3D2) registry entry, so it really depends on whether or not this exists. I think you've said that it doesn't? Can't remember, but if this is the case, then it isn't going to work still, until you fix the registry... which kind of brings us full circle.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby toprob » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:28 pm

Just to clarify something which might not be clear to everyone -- my installers (which may include VLC-related installers) ONLY look at the registry entry for the location of your simulator. They will in fact install to any location which the registry points to, whether or not you have a simulator installed there. The secret is to have a registry entry which actually points to your simulator!
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby Pato » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:05 pm

That gives me something to think about. I presume I will also have difficulty installing the NI and SI Airfields.?
Pato
Forum Addict

Topic author

Postby toprob » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:30 pm

Yes, I did the SI airfields installer, from memory, but I would think that Tim used the same script for NI.
Another way you can look at it -- since you don't actually need a proper sim installed to install my scenery, you just need a valid registry entry, it should be easy to fix -- with the Flight1 registry fixer, but I think you said that didn't work for you. The Flight1 registry fixer doesn't know about FSX:se, but it does know how to create a registry entry which my scenery can use to install to any location which is included in the registry.
So, just to remind you of the process:
run the Flight1 registry fix, select FSX, navigate to FSX.exe in the FSE:se installation folder, and bob's ya uncle.
Given what I've said -- that my installers don't need a proper simulator installation, just a proper registry entry -- you shouldn't really be able to go wrong.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby Pato » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:58 pm

Before I ran the Flight1 registry fix again, I decided to have another go at installing VLC, VLC Libraries, and the NI and SI airfields and all installed ok and into my E:\Games\Steam\Steam

\SteamApps\FSX, so the cleanup I did prior to these installations appears to have worked. In the process I have become more familiar with the Registry. Thanks for your help.
Pato
Forum Addict

Topic author

Postby Ian Warren » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:11 pm

That is Great News Pat, it is surprising how the PC simply spits the dummy someday's, next it thinks to itself and lets you in ... SORTED! :)
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby Pato » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:40 pm

Ian Warren wrote:That is Great News Pat, it is surprising how the PC simply spits the dummy someday's, next it thinks to itself and lets you in ... SORTED! :)
I still have a slight problem using
the Config Tool. I put in my options and then hit APPLY, but it just stays GREEN, and on EXIT the changes have not been applied. Just a small hiccup!!.

Also, see a list of VLC SI Airfields but not NI Airfields, Do you know what NI Airfields are included.?
Pato
Forum Addict

Topic author

Postby Ian Warren » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:02 pm

Good thing it is running now, course it was designed 'DONKS' back so a great result B-)
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby Pato » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:17 pm

Ian Warren wrote:Good thing it is running now, course it was designed 'DONKS' back so a great result B-)
Care to comment on the Config Tool and NI Airfields, although if it is that old your probably can't remember it.?
Pato
Forum Addict

Topic author

Postby Ian Warren » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:18 pm

Pat, can't say much in that area, I'm only returning to VLC myself and really have not spent the much time in FSX/P3D yet , still installing after a PC 'Funky Chicken'.
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby Pato » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:32 pm

OK Ian, all understood.
Pato
Forum Addict

Topic author

Postby toprob » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:32 pm

[quote="Pato]I still have a slight problem using
the Config Tool. I put in my options and then hit APPLY, but it just stays GREEN, and on EXIT the changes have not been applied. Just a small hiccup!!.

Also, see a list of VLC SI Airfields but not NI Airfields, Do you know what NI Airfields are included.?[/quote]

Glad you're making progress. The airfields in each pack are listed on the VectorlandClass website.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby Pato » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:06 am

I get as much enjoyment trying to sort out my problems as I do flying, and believe me I get plenty of problems. Can you suggest how I might fix the config program.?
Pato
Forum Addict

Topic author

Postby toprob » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:28 am

Pato wrote:I get as much enjoyment trying to sort out my problems as I do flying, and believe me I get plenty of problems. Can you suggest how I might fix the config program.?

Assume you are talking about the VLC configuration tool? Maybe post your VLCconfig log file here, plus your VLCconfig.config.xml file so I can make sure it is pointing to the right place.
toprob
NZFF Pro

PreviousNext

Return to Vector Land Class