VLC SI & NI Airfields Installation

Information and support relating to this forthcoming New Zealand Vector Land Class addon.

Re: VLC SI & NI Airfields Installation

Postby Pato » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:59 am

Thanks for your interest in my problem and the help provided. I went to the VLC site and downloaded both the NI and SI Pack. I don't know what version they are. Not sure how I tell if they are

dual-installer.? Do you think the problem would be solved if I uninstalled FSX Steam and started over again, or am I likely to end up with the same situation.? Any suggestions as to why I may have

ended up with this problem.?
Pato
Forum Addict

Topic author

Postby Ian Warren » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:36 am

I've got to see what pops up in FSX , got a little busy yesterday, I'm sure if your FSX Steam is working , it should not be a problem .
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby toprob » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:38 am

I think we've covered this before, at least I have in one thread recently. This isn't really a 'problem', it is just the way the FSX Steam installer works. It is actually a very clever process, it looks for any signs of an old FSX install, and if it doesn't find one, it uses all the FSX locations to emulate a FSX install. So a lot of installers will just see it as FSX.
However if it finds any sign of FSX, it creates a whole new registry entry and locations which older -- pre-FSX-se -- installers can't see because they don't know about.
This is a feature, not a problem, and you should deal with it as such. Uninstalling FSX se may or may not work, but in your case I can't really see what the problem is -- if it was my system, I'd have a look at the registry, and see exactly what is what, but I can't do that with your system. Which is why I offered some solutions from simple to more complex, which really do a similar thing, instead of looking at the registry, just 'fixing' it for you, or in the case of the Migration tool, opening up a whole new world of any addons into any compatible sim, even if they weren't designed for them.

By the way, the airfield packs on the website are dual installers, designed to install to FSX and Prepar3d v2. So they don't support FSX-se or Prepar3d v3 without some sort of migration tool or registry fix.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby Pato » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:47 am

Thanks again. All understood.
Pato
Forum Addict

Topic author

Postby Pato » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:20 am

toprob wrote:Is this the North Island or South Island pack? What version, do you know? Is it a dual installer?

Is this the message you get:

Unable to find FSX install path in System Registry. The installer is not able to proceed with the installation. Please refer to the installation manual.

Although all of these use the registry location to find the sim, so really, really, really you should run the fix and just see if it helps. I can't think of anything else, except the migration tool.

If you plan on installing a lot of older stuff into FSX Steam, then you will need to do something about this, as a lot of addons use the FSX registry.

I don't think that there'll be any VLC Airfield updates any time soon.
Tried the Registry fix and got "E:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\successfully added to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0\SetupPath!" But unfortunately it didn't help.

Also just noticed, that when I installed the RealNZWellington, Marlborough and Paraparaumu it installed them in the usual C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator\

but I had removed any trace of FSX on my C:\ So not quite sure what is going on and how to tackle it. I am also puzzled as to why VLC, VLC_DTM, and VLC_Libraries, installed correctly into FSX Steam.

Would appreciate further help, if, and when, you get time. Or anyone else who may have a clue.?
Pato
Forum Addict

Topic author

Postby Radar88 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:15 pm

Hi Pato

When I upgraded to Windows 10 last year, I decided to do a full rebuild and reinstall my FSX Deluxe Edition CD Box version along with the Acceleration Expansion pack CD then afterwards I discovered Jordan King's You Tube Channel Clips Top 10 Reasons that FSX Steam Edition is better than the Old Boxed FSX editions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UpQgUBKDKM

and also Jordan King's

FSX Steam Edition - *FSX Steam Edition 101 and Settings Guide!*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=2056&v=xgt9BLYc5rY

The FSX Steam Edition is essentially the same as the Old Boxed FSX Gold editions with the major difference in that the FSX Steam Edition uses a more updated modern program compiler to compile the older 32bit Microsoft created FSX Program Code.

In using the Steam FSX version it makes FSX life easier rather than having to go in and make tweak adjustments to the CD boxed installation FSX.cfg file settings.

This sealed the deal for the Steam sale promotiomal purchase of Steam FSX-SE

During the installation process, I found that their were issues with having multiple main FSX directories that co-existed as I had initially installed unknowingly.

C:\ Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\FSX

C:\ Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steamapps\common\FSX

The PC Registry was screwed as when trying to run 3rd party Add on scenery, aircraft installers, the installers would be unable to determine where the correct main FSX directory path is located, to be able to run and install either the scenery or aircraft etc into the relevant folders within the main FSX directory.

To resolve I first uninstalled everything to do with the Microsoft Games FSX Program version and also the Steaam FSX Program version.

I then Rebooted and restarted the PC and check via Windows Explorer everything to ensure their were no references to the FSX directory paths.

This means checking the C:\ Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games

Also check and potentially look to remove reference to

C:\Users\Your name\Appdata\local\FSX
C:\Users\Your name\Appdata\Roaming\FSX

C:\This PC\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files

Then go through and do a registry clean up, I used the TweakFS FSX Registry Utility.

http://www.tweakfs.com/store/free_tools.php

Download the file FSX Registry Utility for the fsx_reg_utility.zip

Here's a reference guide How to remove the old FSX before installing FSX-SE

http://fsrijnmond.airworld.nl/FSX%20Ste ... FSX-SE.pdf

Install or run as the administrator of your PC to do a clean up of the specific FSX Registry setting keys.

Once this is done Reboot restart your PC.

I recommend doing this after a registry clean to ensure a fresh clean registry upon reboot start up.

If you are familiar with the Registry Editor Regedit and know how to exercise with caution care when using. I would open the regedit and go to the Edit drop down menu and select Find and type FSX in the Find What: field box and click the Find Next button.

This will look and search for any FSX entries within the Registry.

If you cannot find any FSX details then the Registry Cleaner has done it's job correctly.

If you do find anything related like HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0

Particularly after knowing that FSX has already being uninstalled and is confirmed not showing under C:\ Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games

I would recommend then to exercise with caution manually delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0 from the registry editor.

Provided that it is your intention to not have the Microsoft Games CD Gold Boxed version of FSX installed at all.

Once you are satistified that the Registry is clean of anything to do with FSX.

Again I would recommend a restart reboot to be safe.

Then go ahead and do a fresh re-install of the Steam version of FSX.

I myself choose to re-install the Steam version of FSX on a separate 1TB SDD.

With the Drive Path looking like F: Steam\Steamapps\common\FSX

With my Registry search finding HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\DovetailGames\FSX

Yours should be similar please note you do not want the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0 as this relates to your previously installed FSX Gold Edition boxed CD installation.

Once I had this all tidy then I recomence the long task of re-installing all my old Add on's previously installed etc inculding Orbx and VLC from backup installation files.

I also have an old payware RealNZ Across the Strait CD that contains RealNZ Wellington, Marlborough and Paraparaumu purchased a long time ago from Robin's GodZone store.

I have only bothered installing RealNZ Marlborough from the CD as I have all his Godzone Photoscenery Subscription Scenery which has superseded the older CD Across the Strait versions of RealNZ Wellington and Paraparaumu. Likewise I've not also bothered with the older CD version's of RealNZ Tauranga and Rotorua as it's now covered in the newer updated Godzone Photoscenery Subscription Scenery.

I've found with the older CD installers that Robin has used. I need to manually type or use browse to the main FSX directory location path to change the installation path to point in my case to F: Steam\Steamapps\common\FSX

This method has also worked for me on his other older products that I have installed successfully RealNZNelson and RealNZSupercity

VLC stuff.

VLC uses an older installer which does not allow you to manually change or browse to the installation path, it seems to use the PC Registry key to determine the location of where you have the Main FSX directory installed.

Hence if you wish to use and install the now old VLC it is important to ensure that the Registry is clean and tidy from any previously installed or re-installed multiple times of FSX. If doing constantly an uninstall followed by a re-install of the FSX program. Then it pays to ensure that the Registry is made clean every time for a fresh re-installation. Be it on the same drive or on a different new drive path location.

This means that provided that you have no other FSX directory location registered in the Registry, assuming in your case you have created a Folder called Games on a separate drive and installed Steam with the correct location for FSX now being E:\Games\Steam\Steamapps\common\FSX

The older VLC installers should automatically detect the main FSX directory and output it's folder directory and file extracts to the correct location paths within the main FSX directory.

Here are some screen shot examples hopefully this helps a little in understanding.

Radar88

Postby Pato » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:36 pm

I really appreciate you taking the time to give such an extensive explanation. I have had a quick look through your comments but will have to really study them in detail.

I note several references to editing the Registry and I don't think I have enough confidence to do this. I will have to give that careful thought.!! If I am not able to add scenery etc to

FSX Steam then I don't think there is much point carrying on with it.
Pato
Forum Addict

Topic author

Postby Pato » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:07 pm

I have digested your comments and will probably follow your suggestions. I am a bit puzzled on one point. I previously had FSX Gold on my "C" drive which I uninstalled using Revo Uninstaller,

and afterwards, could find no reference to it. Later I installed RealNZMarlborough, Paraparaumu. and Wellington into FSX SE. I now find that they are installed into the usual MS Games folder on my "C"

drive, but when I look in the Registry (carefully) I can find no reference to FSX. There is probably a logical explanation for this but I am curious as to why this would be.?
Pato
Forum Addict

Topic author

Postby dbcunnz » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:54 pm

If you are running windows 64 bit
Go to Start Run regedit then check the following
HKEY_CURRENY_USER/Software/Microsoft/Microsoft games/Flight simulator
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/WOW6432Node/Microsoft/Microsoft games/Flight simulator

If there is only Flight simulator under the Microsoft Games in the registry files delete the Microsoft Games if you have other Microsoft Games in there then just delete the Flight simulator.

You will need to delete both those entries if they are still there that should take out any reference to FSX
you might also have a look in C:\Program Files(86)\Common Files\Microsoft Games and delete that if it is still in there or delete Flight simulator if you have other Microsoft games in there.

I hope that helps
dbcunnz
NZFF Pro

Postby toprob » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:41 pm

Pato wrote:I have digested your comments and will probably follow your suggestions. I am a bit puzzled on one point. I previously had FSX Gold on my "C" drive which I uninstalled using Revo Uninstaller,

and afterwards, could find no reference to it. Later I installed RealNZMarlborough, Paraparaumu. and Wellington into FSX SE. I now find that they are installed into the usual MS Games folder on my "C"

drive, but when I look in the Registry (carefully) I can find no reference to FSX. There is probably a logical explanation for this but I am curious as to why this would be.?

Sorry, I did mean to chip in here, but it's been a busy week.

I'm surprised that the registry fix didn't help, as the VLC Airfields installer is pretty basic, it just looks for the registry entry which the fixer fixes. So if it still can't find it, then it may not be fixed? Weird, it too is a simple little tool which only has to do one simple little job.

Anyway, it would be interesting to see exactly what your registry entry was for FSX. If you want to get to the bottom of this, then you could send me the registry key for FSX, and we'll see what is in it. This is non-invasive, as it doesn't change the registry, but it does mean viewing the registry, so if you are willing to give it a go, let me know.

The FSX registry doesn't mention 'FSX', as Doug points out it is 'Flight Simulator' then the version as a separate entry.

The normal registry entry is:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>Microsoft>Microsoft Games>Flight Simulator>10.0

or for 64bit:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>Software>WOW6432Node>Microsoft/Microsoft games>Flight simulator

Simplest way is to find this key, right click on the 'microsoft' entry, and export it, giving it a name in the process. The resulting file (a .reg file, but on systems with hidden known extensions, it won't show up as such, so you need to remember where you saved it.)
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby Pato » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:19 am

toprob wrote:

Anyway, it would be interesting to see exactly what your registry entry was for FSX. If you want to get to the bottom of this, then you could send me the registry key for FSX, and we'll see what is in it. This is non-invasive, as it doesn't change the registry, but it does mean viewing the registry, so if you are willing to give it a go, let me know.

I have been trying to familiarise myself with the Registry and am willing to have a go. How do I proceed please.?
Pato
Forum Addict

Topic author

Postby Pato » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:34 pm

Radar88 wrote:Hi Pato

When I upgraded to Windows 10 last year, I decided to do a full rebuild and reinstall my FSX Deluxe Edition CD Box version along with the Acceleration Expansion pack CD then afterwards I discovered Jordan King's You Tube Channel Clips Top 10 Reasons that FSX Steam Edition is better than the Old Boxed FSX editions

If you are familiar with the Registry Editor Regedit and know how to exercise with caution care when using. I would open the regedit and go to the Edit drop down menu and select Find and type FSX in the Find What: field box and click the Find Next button.

This will look and search for any FSX entries within the Registry.

I have finally got around to deleting everything. I did a "FIND" in regedit and notice that this appears:

"Install Source REG SD E:\Games\Steam\Steamapps\common\FSX\SDK\core utilitiesKit\SimConnect SDK\lib" Should I delete this or leave it?

I assume that if I leave it, then when I download FSX SE again it will just install back into this entry.?
Pato
Forum Addict

Topic author

Postby Ian Warren » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:42 pm

I would simply delete it, when you re-install everything else it will re-build a new file.
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby toprob » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:42 pm

No, that's the Simconnect SDK.
I'm not sure that you get to choose where to install FSX Steam (never tried it), but I suspect that you do. But like all the sims, it isn't obvious during the installation, so you need to look out for it. From memory, with fSX, and Prepar3d, I think it's something like 'custom install' or similar wording.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby toprob » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:51 pm

Oops, I just realised that I was meant to step you through some stuff, but I got side-tracked by the Real NZ Dunedin release. Sorry about that.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby Pato » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:18 pm

toprob wrote:Oops, I just realised that I was meant to step you through some stuff, but I got side-tracked by the Real NZ Dunedin release. Sorry about that.
Now I am a bit confused. I don't delete it.?
Don't worry about the other stuff I guessed that you were busy and no doubt I will eventually benefit in the long run.
Pato
Forum Addict

Topic author

Postby Pato » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:21 pm

Ian Warren wrote:I would simply delete it, when you re-install everything else it will re-build a new file.
That is what I thought, but my registry knowledge isn't sufficient to assume that was the case.
Pato
Forum Addict

Topic author

Postby toprob » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:37 pm

What I said was, it won't have a bearing on where FSX Steam is installed.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby Pato » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:35 pm

toprob wrote:What I said was, it won't have a bearing on where FSX Steam is installed.
Thanks for your help.
Pato
Forum Addict

Topic author

Postby Pato » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:44 pm

[quote="Radar88"]Hi Pato

With the Drive Path looking like F: Steam\Steamapps\common\FSX

With my Registry search finding HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\DovetailGames\FSX

Yours should be similar please note you do not want the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0 as this relates to your previously installed FSX Gold Edition boxed CD installation.

/quote]I am finding my way around the Registry and am curious as to why my Registry search is different to yours, mine appears as:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\WOW6432Node. I do not see \DovetailGames\FSX and I do not see any way of expanding this entry. Previously, before

my clean out, when I tried to load VLC NI Airfields and VLC SI Airfields, I got the following message: "Unable to find FSX or Prepar3D path in System Registry. The installer is not

able to proceed with the installation. Please refer to the installation manual". Am I likely to have the same problem.?
Pato
Forum Addict

Topic author

PreviousNext

Return to Vector Land Class