VLC SI & NI Airfields Installation

Information and support relating to this forthcoming New Zealand Vector Land Class addon.

VLC SI & NI Airfields Installation

Postby Pato » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:20 pm

I have VLC and VLC Libraries installed. When I try to install the Airfields pack, I get the message "unable to find FSX install path " etc. I have FSX on my E drive, so I guess this is the problem.?

How do I proceed from here please.
User avatar
Pato
Forum Addict
 
Topic author
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:41 pm
Posts: 461
Location: Kapiti Coast

Re: VLC SI & NI Airfields Installation

Postby Ian Warren » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:25 pm

Pat , Just plop the "Airfields pack" into the P3D 'addon scenery' folder and activated it as a scenery area ... you should be cooking from there.
Image
User avatar
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro
 
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 5:23 pm
Posts: 41205
Location: AREA 51

Re: VLC SI & NI Airfields Installation

Postby Pato » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:46 pm

Ian Warren wrote:Pat , Just plop the "Airfields pack" into the P3D 'addon scenery' folder and activated it as a scenery area ... you should be cooking from there.
But how do I get to see the "Airfields Pack" to plop it into FSX. When I hit the .exe file it extracts all but I don't get the pack, just the message about the registry.?
User avatar
Pato
Forum Addict
 
Topic author
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:41 pm
Posts: 461
Location: Kapiti Coast

Re: VLC SI & NI Airfields Installation

Postby toprob » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:13 pm

Which sim are you trying to install to?
Image
User avatar
toprob
NZFF Pro
 
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:56 pm
Posts: 5391
Location: Diamond Harbour

Re: VLC SI & NI Airfields Installation

Postby Pato » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:22 pm

toprob wrote:Which sim are you trying to install to?
FSX Steam.
User avatar
Pato
Forum Addict
 
Topic author
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:41 pm
Posts: 461
Location: Kapiti Coast

Re: VLC SI & NI Airfields Installation

Postby toprob » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:31 pm

The installer doesn't specifically support Steam, except for 'clean' installs of FSX-se, without any previous FSX installed. So you will need to either get a migration tool (Estonia Migration) or the Flight1 Registry Fix to point the FSX registry to FSX-se.
Image
User avatar
toprob
NZFF Pro
 
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:56 pm
Posts: 5391
Location: Diamond Harbour

Re: VLC SI & NI Airfields Installation

Postby Pato » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:56 pm

toprob wrote:The installer doesn't specifically support Steam, except for 'clean' installs of FSX-se, without any previous FSX installed. So you will need to either get a migration tool (Estonia Migration) or the Flight1 Registry Fix to point the FSX registry to FSX-se.
FSX-se is a clean install on my "E" drive. I had FSX Gold on my "C" drive but I completely removed that with no trace left. Have these programs been used successfully, otherwise I won't play around with them and just go with other scenery.
User avatar
Pato
Forum Addict
 
Topic author
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:41 pm
Posts: 461
Location: Kapiti Coast

Re: VLC SI & NI Airfields Installation

Postby Ian Warren » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:50 pm

You don't need a a migration tool (Estonia Migration), if understand were everything go's .. its a wham bamm thankyou mamm .
Image
User avatar
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro
 
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 5:23 pm
Posts: 41205
Location: AREA 51

Re: VLC SI & NI Airfields Installation

Postby toprob » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:31 pm

However for auto-installers, you will need some sort of tool if the installer doesn't support your sim, there is no manual install available.

If you want any help or more information on how to do this, let me know.
Image
User avatar
toprob
NZFF Pro
 
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:56 pm
Posts: 5391
Location: Diamond Harbour

Re: VLC SI & NI Airfields Installation

Postby Pato » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:36 pm

Ian Warren wrote:You don't need a a migration tool (Estonia Migration), if understand were everything go's .. its a wham bamm thankyou mamm .
I am willing to be advised where everything goes. Perhaps you could explain in a little more detail.?
User avatar
Pato
Forum Addict
 
Topic author
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:41 pm
Posts: 461
Location: Kapiti Coast

Re: VLC SI & NI Airfields Installation

Postby Pato » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:39 pm

toprob wrote:However for auto-installers, you will need some sort of tool if the installer doesn't support your sim, there is no manual install available.

If you want any help or more information on how to do this, let me know.
I need all the help I can get. I just want to get these programs installed with the least amount of hair-pulling.!!
User avatar
Pato
Forum Addict
 
Topic author
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:41 pm
Posts: 461
Location: Kapiti Coast

Re: VLC SI & NI Airfields Installation

Postby toprob » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:47 pm

Easiest step if it works --go hereand download the FSX Registry Fix tool.

Run it, click on Repair FSX Registry Path, navigate to where your FSX-se fsx.exe is, and select it.

This should create a FSX registry entry which fools installers into directing to FSX-se.

Give it a try. If it doesn't work, let me know.
Image
User avatar
toprob
NZFF Pro
 
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:56 pm
Posts: 5391
Location: Diamond Harbour

Re: VLC SI & NI Airfields Installation

Postby Pato » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:20 pm

toprob wrote:Easiest step if it works --go hereand download the FSX Registry Fix tool.

Run it, click on Repair FSX Registry Path, navigate to where your FSX-se fsx.exe is, and select it.

This should create a FSX registry entry which fools installers into directing to FSX-se.

Give it a try. If it doesn't work, let me know.
Has this worked for others with this problem.? If it doesn't work can it cause other Registry problems.?

I wonder how I was able to install the RealNZ scenery without problems.?
User avatar
Pato
Forum Addict
 
Topic author
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:41 pm
Posts: 461
Location: Kapiti Coast

Re: VLC SI & NI Airfields Installation

Postby toprob » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:56 pm

Good questions. I can say that the FSX Registry Fix simply changes or adds the FSX registry entry, and people have been relying on this tool since FS9. It's your choice whether you risk it. It just makes sense that this should be the quickest and easiest fix if it works. Of course it could scramble your registry and brick your PC, but hey, YOLO!

I don't recall what the difference was between the Airfields installer and Real NZ installers, so I can't explain why it wouldn't work the same. I can check, but it won't be this week, I'm flat-out putting the finishing touches to Dunedin, and I'd need to go through some old archive drives to find the scripts.
Image
User avatar
toprob
NZFF Pro
 
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:56 pm
Posts: 5391
Location: Diamond Harbour

Re: VLC SI & NI Airfields Installation

Postby toprob » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:04 pm

I've just had a thought -- what Real NZ scenery? New ones have multi-installers which recognise a FSX-se-specific install, but the old freeware doesn't, these scripts were written long before Dovetail Games was just a bump on the backside of an embryo dove...
Image
User avatar
toprob
NZFF Pro
 
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:56 pm
Posts: 5391
Location: Diamond Harbour

Re: VLC SI & NI Airfields Installation

Postby Pato » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:43 pm

toprob wrote: Of course it could scramble your registry and brick your PC, but hey, YOLO!

I don't recall what the difference was between the Airfields installer and Real NZ installers, so I can't explain why it wouldn't work the same. I can check, but it won't be this week, I'm flat-out putting the finishing touches to Dunedin, and I'd need to go through some old archive drives to find the scripts.
Don't worry about it. I will give it a miss, as not prepared to upset the Registry. It's not that important. It looks as though I will have problems with other addon scenery, so am wondering if I should just scrub Steam and go back to FSX Gold. Decisions, Decisions.!!
User avatar
Pato
Forum Addict
 
Topic author
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:41 pm
Posts: 461
Location: Kapiti Coast

Re: VLC SI & NI Airfields Installation

Postby Pato » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:46 pm

toprob wrote:I've just had a thought -- what Real NZ scenery? New ones have multi-installers which recognise a FSX-se-specific install, but the old freeware doesn't, these scripts were written long before Dovetail Games was just a bump on the backside of an embryo dove...
They are the RealNZ Wellington, Marlborough and Paraparaumu. So I guess that will be the answer.
User avatar
Pato
Forum Addict
 
Topic author
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:41 pm
Posts: 461
Location: Kapiti Coast

Re: VLC SI & NI Airfields Installation

Postby toprob » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:50 pm

No, none of the freeware has multi-installers, so it must be something else -- I'm think on it for a bit.
Image
User avatar
toprob
NZFF Pro
 
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:56 pm
Posts: 5391
Location: Diamond Harbour

Re: VLC SI & NI Airfields Installation

Postby Pato » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:20 pm

toprob wrote:No, none of the freeware has multi-installers, so it must be something else -- I'm think on it for a bit.
It wasn't freeware, but I guess it is now. Thanks for your help and it sure would be nice if you can work out a solution.
User avatar
Pato
Forum Addict
 
Topic author
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:41 pm
Posts: 461
Location: Kapiti Coast

Re: VLC SI & NI Airfields Installation

Postby toprob » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:00 pm

Is this the North Island or South Island pack? What version, do you know? Is it a dual installer?

Is this the message you get:

Unable to find FSX install path in System Registry. The installer is not able to proceed with the installation. Please refer to the installation manual.


Although all of these use the registry location to find the sim, so really, really, really you should run the fix and just see if it helps. I can't think of anything else, except the migration tool.

If you plan on installing a lot of older stuff into FSX Steam, then you will need to do something about this, as a lot of addons use the FSX registry.

I don't think that there'll be any VLC Airfield updates any time soon.
Image
User avatar
toprob
NZFF Pro
 
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:56 pm
Posts: 5391
Location: Diamond Harbour

Next

Return to Vector Land Class

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest