VLC causing stuttering and eventual OOM in P3D

Information and support relating to this forthcoming New Zealand Vector Land Class addon.

Postby cowpatz » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:13 pm

I'm not sure why this is an issue as I can't recall it being a problem before but then again I have not seriously got into P3D until now..
P3D 2.4
Daylight flight NZAA to NZTG.
No weather.
No AI.
No airport addons.
Aircraft used: Carenado A36, Majestic Q400, iFly 737
Mid range sliders for trial.

Flight progresses fine at first with FPS around 60 to 70 (unlocked) but then the stutters start and progressively get worse. The FPS starts to fluctuate wildly. Ends up either being a slide show in single FPS or causes an OOM. Even when the FPS is over 20 the stutters are still bad where usually P3D is still quite fluid.
Uncheck VLC and all is fine with rock solid 30fps locked.
The only recent change is installing the Chathams island VLC. However unchecking that in scenery library makes no difference.
Any suggestions?

I did get this error on several reinstall attempts.

Computer specs:
4770K OC to 4.4
16 GB ram
Titan graphics
P3D on SSD
Last edited by cowpatz on Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remember the 50-50-90 rule. Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong!

cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby cowpatz » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:19 pm

Is VLC still supported? The contact tab on the webpage no longer works and no reply to a sent email.
Remember the 50-50-90 rule. Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong!

cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby toprob » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:34 pm

I haven't seen Tim here for a while, he might be away?
I'm not really aware of any issues like this, although the reinstall problem might be easily fixed. I recall one installer might have gone out without the P3D config file? I'll track down the info.
If you can get the VLC Config tool working, it would be worthwhile turning off the lights -- although you said this was a daytime problem, the lights are the only thing I can think of that hits P3D hard.

Here's the info on the correct P3D config XML file.
Last edited by toprob on Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby cowpatz » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:26 pm

The last install of VLC I didn't get the dialogue box message. I'm a bit confused because the config file in question resides in the VectorLandClass folder which is in the P3D root. The dialogue box suggests it should be in the Scenery\World\Scenery.
The config tool seems to work...at least there is no indications that it isn't. But my system starts to slow after 15 min with VLC active and that is on a brand new default P3D install with only one aircraft add on and just VLC.

cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby toprob » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:45 pm

cowpatz wrote:
QUOTE (cowpatz @ Nov 19 2014,8:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The last install of VLC I didn't get the dialogue box message. I'm a bit confused because the config file in question resides in the VectorLandClass folder which is in the P3D root. The dialogue box suggests it should be in the Scenery\World\Scenery.
The config tool seems to work...at least there is no indications that it isn't. But my system starts to slow after 15 min with VLC active and that is on a brand new default P3D install with only one aircraft add on and just VLC.

Did you make sure the lights were set to 'no lights' in the config tool?

Sounds like a tool like Process Explorer (sysinternals.com) might be worthwhile, just to see if you can figure out what's choking.

Just a quick thought -- what are your autogen settings? VLC does tend to lay down a lot of bush, certainly a lot more than default, and common sense would suggest that there are probably a lot of trees out East Cape way...
Maybe pull the autogen vegetation back a bit?
Just to clarify, you do have the latest P3D2.whatever it is at the moment?
Last edited by toprob on Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby cowpatz » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:07 am

Thanks for your help Rob.
My VLC settings are as follows:
Major Roads only
Minor streams OFF
Main lights ONLY (would this be an issue anyway on a daylight flight?)
Shelterbelts ON
All checkboxes checked except for AI shipping.

The P3D version is 2.4 and is freshly loaded with a default cfg and my Nvidia control panel is set with the default P3D profile.

The sim settings are sliders set to mid range
Clear skies and no AI.

With those settings I shouldn't even see a CPU or GPU temp rise when running:)

cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby cowpatz » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:05 pm

Well after many proving flights it seems that the lights are in fact the issue....even in the daytime.
Ops normal with them off.

cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Return to Vector Land Class