VLC South Island West Coast Tree Autogen

Information and support relating to this forthcoming New Zealand Vector Land Class addon.

Postby ZK-LGD » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:53 pm

Am having a problem with South Island West Coast tree autogen hammering my FSX performance. For example, I can run Robin's massively autogened SuperCity and Nelson sceneries with Autogen sliders all the way to the right with nary a problem ... but as soon as I attempt to fly anywhere on the West Coast where there is bush (for example Haast), FPS suddenly go up and down like a yo-yo and I experience hideous stutters.

Yes, I know I can reduce the Autogen slider back to Normal (the "highest" setting where I do not experience FPS loss and stutters), but this, of course, comes with the associated loss of 40% of ALL Autogen (both trees and structures). As such, I am seriously contemplating using the TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL= tweak in my FSX.cfg (and yes, I've read most, if not all, the debate(s) between Nick N and Holger Sandmann on the benefits/detriments of such a tweak).

My question is: Does anyone know what the maximum tree density per cell is in VLC? Is it the MS default of 4500? Higher? Lower?

Enquiring minds would really like to know.

TIA.
Regards,
Dorian
ZK-LGD
Sim-holic

Topic author

Postby toprob » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:26 pm

I suspect that the big hitter is the native bush. However VLC only replaces the textures for this class, it still uses the default native landclass properties, which from memory doesn't have a set of agn files, it just crowds the area with trees, so you can't get a good count. You'd just have to experiment, I guess.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby ZK-LGD » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:46 pm

Thanks, Robin.

Results of experimentation (so far) are:

TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=2000 (as per Holger Sandmann's Tongass Fjords X recommendation) which resulted in heavy stuttering, then stepping down, sequentially, to TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=1000 where there is no stuttering and FPS are constant at 24.9/25.

Will consider this a quick and dirty "fix" for this problem; but will comment out the entry before flying elsewhere in NZ, though.
Last edited by ZK-LGD on Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Dorian
ZK-LGD
Sim-holic

Topic author

Return to Vector Land Class