USA ski trip aircraft pics - KLAX and KDEN

A separate section for photographers to upload and comment on everything from amateur plane spotting images to professional air to air shots.

USA ski trip aircraft pics - KLAX and KDEN

Postby deeknow » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:44 pm

Hey all. Back in Feb (2019) my family and I had a ski trip to Colorado and along the way of course I grabbed a few snaps of aircraft. Didn't take many sadly but I thought these may be of interest. The US is a tricky place to take pics as you certainly don't want to look shifty, and it is a lot easier passenger side but then you get all the pesky reflections etc. Anyway, it was a ski trip not a photo shoot.

Enjoy... (oh and click on the pics to see some larger resolution copies, and if you're a flickr user hit me up with your account so I can sub to you)

Singapore Airlines Airbus A380 at the big boys terminal at Auckland

Our ride to LA, AAL 787-900 - flightaware details

Static display of an A12 (predecessor to the SR71) in Los Angeles as we took a touristy bus ride around town

Some of the GA on the ground at Steamboat Springs where we were skiing. Had a chat w the airport manager who was busying himself shovelling snow from around the buildings, this wee airport gets a lot of small private jets and turbo props, was pretty quiet on the day I visited tho

Embraer ERJ/175 - our flight to Denver, nice wee aircraft and pretty roomy despite outside appearances - flightaware details

If you click through to this pick and choose the larger size when you get to flickr you can make out the snow plows clearing the white stuff off the runways in Denver. The airport had gotten a decent dump over the preceding week or so, made the wife rather nervous to see as we were landing :)

Loads of Frontier, American and United airlines machines moving about on the tarmac. Some pretty decent views from inside the checked in terminals but its not a great spotting airport to be honest

And last but not least, no photo shoot is complete without a gratuitous shot of the Queen of the skies right?
deeknow
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Re: USA ski trip aircraft pics - KLAX and KDEN

Postby Aharon » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:11 am

Amazing photos!!! What in the heck is that nuclear plant shaped building in the second photo from bottom photo?

Regards,

Aharon
Aharon

Postby chopper_nut » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:46 am

The US is kind of a difficult place to take photos alright. I found at Boulder City in AZ that I talked to one of the fixed wing guys first (they were operating Twotters over the Grand Canyon) and he was dead against letting be go out on the ramp... I walked down to the office for the helicopter pilots and five minutes later I was out wandering around with one of them filling my camera with photos of their nice gear... At McCarren in Vegas, no way in hell were they going to let me take photos of anything for some strange reason.... Santa Barbera, they specifically detailed somebody off to take me around taking photos of their gear... I guess it depends on where you are and who you strike.
chopper_nut
NZFF Pro

Postby deeknow » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:08 pm

chopper_nut wrote:I walked down to the office for the helicopter pilots and five minutes later I was out wandering around with one of them filling my camera with photos of their nice gear.

Haha, yeah well it probably helps that you speak the lingo, and have actual experience, not just some nutter like me :)
deeknow
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby deeknow » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:10 pm

Aharon wrote:Amazing photos!!! What in the heck is that nuclear plant shaped building in the second photo from bottom photo?

Thanks mate. Yeah not sure, I was wondering what that was too, a cooling tower for their on-site generators? air-conditioning systems? underground secret military base (this is KDEN afterall :lol: :@)
deeknow
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby chopper_nut » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:34 pm

deeknow wrote:
chopper_nut wrote:I walked down to the office for the helicopter pilots and five minutes later I was out wandering around with one of them filling my camera with photos of their nice gear.

Haha, yeah well it probably helps that you speak the lingo, and have actual experience, not just some nutter like me :)

Possibly but I found that once you were in anywhere and they realised that you're a bit of an enthusiast, doors really open up for you.
chopper_nut
NZFF Pro

Postby Aharon » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:33 am

deeknow wrote:Thanks mate. Yeah not sure, I was wondering what that was too, a cooling tower for their on-site generators? air-conditioning systems? underground secret military base (this is KDEN afterall :lol: :@)

Thanks for answer. My favorite photo out of all photos you show in this thread is the snowy one that you said made your wife nervous. I wish I have that snowy condition in my FSX!!!!

Regards,

Aharon
Aharon

Postby Splitpin » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:20 am

Great post deeknow , thanks for sharing dude.
Splitpin
NZFF Pro

Return to New Zealand Aviation Photography