Standards

An effort to collaborate all freeware New Zealand scenery addons. Discuss the creation and management of the project here.

Postby Charl » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:28 pm

We probably should have a pinned "Mission Statement" in here, I'll leave that to Christian.

Further, there has to be some commonality in what is being designed for.
Some random thoughts:

"Modern" work should be a snapshot as at January 2008.
"Retro" would be what you make, of course.

For FS9, I'd say work should be compatible with Christian's mesh and topo, no question in my mind about this.
If someone doesn't have these products, Christian will make a special deal for you! I think everyone here would have this though.
I think all Robin's payware projects, and 2008 freeware photoreal, fit this bill.
So the "optimum" scenery will sit on 20m mesh, topo, and/or latest available photoreal.
Something which adds hugely to airport scenery is local texturing of aprons/runways etc.
This heads into payware territory, but if it can be implemented through this group, would be fantastic.

For FSX, what?
Stock install with SP2?

Lastly, where is all the stuff kept?
I assume NZFF can look after it, and Trolly might be able to help here, to create a logical folder structure, to allow for updates, patches, and growth paths.
Charl
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby Alex » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:39 pm

Charl wrote:
QUOTE (Charl @ Jan 10 2008, 01:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lastly, where is all the stuff kept?
I assume NZFF can look after it, and Trolly might be able to help here, to create a logical folder structure, to allow for updates, patches, and growth paths.

Charl, there was a small exchange of thoughts regarding that in this thread. ;)

Alex
Alex
NZFF Pro

Postby Christian » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:37 pm

Charl wrote:
QUOTE (Charl @ Jan 15 2008, 12:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"Retro" would be what you make, of course.

I'd love to do a Golden Ages for NZ one day, but to be honest at this stage I'd rather get this project going without too many standards. I fear if we impose too many standards it's just gong to kill the project off fast. Afterall this is freeware and supposed to be fun (don't get me wrong, as I discussed with Richard, I'm very anal about having each grass blade modelled correctly, but for now I'd rather see something growing together. We can always refine later.
Last edited by Christian on Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Breathtakingly gorgeous FS landscapes for New Zealand.
Visit Sim Pilot Experience now:
http://www.simpilotexperience.com
Follow me on twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/ChristianStock
Christian
Forum Addict

Return to NZ Scenery Project