New Zealand and X-Plane 10

An effort to collaborate all freeware New Zealand scenery addons. Discuss the creation and management of the project here.

Re: New Zealand and X-Plane 10

Postby kiwi_the_iwik » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:47 am

Thanks for the info, TG - I'll try to instigate the changes as soon as I can.

Unfortunately I was only working with the information I had in front of me - which was existing X-Plane apt.dat files (a bit outdated) and satellite imagery. And it's a little far from NZAA to get a decent appraisal of the layout, considering I've been living in London for 20 years! ;)

If there are any recent afcad files that you could recommend or point me in the direction of for authenticity, then I'd be more than happy to convert them across - giving an accurate facsimile of the apron layout.

Cheers,

Aaron.

BTW - this was the DHL ground image I'd got my references from, with a B727 and B757 on the tarmac (so I thought this was a regular occurrence):

kiwi_the_iwik

Topic author

Postby towerguy » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:13 pm

I think that photo was a one off when they were changing over from the B727 to the B757 so can see where you might have got confused, no worries.
As to apron layout I'll dig around and see what I can come up with for you. I also have some recent photos that I will try to get resized and uploaded soon.
cheers
Craig
CPU- i7 4790K @4.0Gb Cooler- Noctua NH-D15 M/B- Z97 ProGamer P/S- 750W RAM- 16Gb
Graphics- Nvidia GTX970 16Gb Drives- 2x 120Gb SSD Samsung 850EVO, 1x 2Tb HD, 1x DVD-RW
Sound- on M/B Logitec 5.1 surround sound system OS- Win 10 pro , all wrapped in a black Corsair case Display - Panasonic UHD 4k 50" Flatscreen TV.( 3840x2160 Res)
towerguy
Sim-holic

Postby kiwi_the_iwik » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:40 am

Hi everyone,

I've released NZAA Auckland v1.2 on the X-Plane.org download site - found here:

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/fi ... -auckland/

I've amended the taxiways and added a lot more detail to the tarmac, (and Craig - including the DHL area!), by creating a completely new tarmac alphabet and laying them out as draped polygons to speed up redraw, and avoid strobing. It looks fantastic, and really increases the realism, but I will have to add a photoshopped dirt mask over everything to weather the tarmac a bit more. Then, there's the plan to add animated ground support vehicles as well, to make the place look like it's alive. I'm always going to be tweaking this, but as it stands it's fully operational. So if you're an X-Plane user, please download it and give it a try - it's free!

Craig - I'd like to amend the boundary lights as you'd suggested, so please send me some info over whenever you've time! The aim is to be as authentic as I can.

I've also created some WorldTraffic files using real-world timetables so it will be more realistic flying in and out of Auckland. Now the gates are populated correctly with the right aircraft and airline, and fly on the right routes. However, I've got to do a little more manipulation of the files by having the correct times for the flight arrivals and departures, and as they're only from a sample of one day and therefore not completely true-to-life!

After I've laid out the proper timetable I will publish them for WorldTraffic 2 users (which is an excellent program!). Apparently, WT3 will have the ability to download timetables directly off the net, but until it's released (currently in Beta testing) this will be more than adequate.

So far, the response from the X-Plane community has been fantastic, and I'm very grateful to everyone for their support. Obviously, the next stage is to create a full Auckland skyline to provide the ultimate experience!

Ian - any news or developments with Mike? I'd love to get started on this project soon...

Cheers!

Aaron.

kiwi_the_iwik

Topic author

Postby Ian Warren » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:18 am

kiwi_the_iwik wrote:Ian - any news or developments with Mike? I'd love to get started on this project soon...

Mike got a little busy over the last couple weeks, I sorta not been doing much myself, PC doing silly things , the moment the building are not finished yet but I guess thing may take a little longer in the city department.
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby kiwi_the_iwik » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:55 pm

I'm going to have to start calling this topic - New Zealand and X-Plane 11!

Just took the plunge and bought the official release - along with a nice, juicy GTX1070. And I've never been happier!

All the previous sceneries and aircraft work beautifully, and the computer throws out 1920x1200 at @ 45-60fps with everything on "lush". I don't think that I need to go 4K, as I'm getting old and my eyes aren't as good as they used to be - but the sim will, if I want. Next step is an Oculus Rift or HTC Vive - not decided yet (but I'm thinking of building a small 3DOF motion platform to go along with it).

I've also put together @ 320 real flight plans to the airport (domestic and international), so the place has really come alive now! I've added a few pictures below for you to see how it looks.

Cheers,

Aaron.

kiwi_the_iwik

Topic author

Previous

Return to NZ Scenery Project