Flysimware C402 Review

Read and write review articles of flight simulator addons and expansions here

Postby ardypilot » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:42 pm

When I use FSX, I usually fly light piston twins. Carendo's Seneca, the MilViz C310 and Real Air's Beech Duke see the most use out of my virtual hanger. This engine configuration preference eventually led to me searching around for a decent Piper Navajo to load into my sim, although nothing has been produced in recent years anywhere close to today's payware standards. This is how I came across Flysimware's Cessna 402C Buisnessliner- considered a rival to the PA31 in the real world with the clean looking simulated version released for both FSX and P3D in Feb this year.

First impressions- the proportions don't quite seem right. Not a fault of the developer, more a reflection on the Cessna design. As with many others from the manufacturer, the C402 originated from a precessing smaller base, in this case the C411 eight seater airframe, and was elongated into a quick change freight/corporate 10 place machine over a 12 year time frame. The external model with the HD repaint still look appealing though. I choose the white and blue N reg scheme to snap some exterior screenshots of on this test flight from NZDN to NZGM, reflecting the mid winter environmental colours over the Southern Alps. Framerates on both outside and in were great in my middle of the range system, although the textures inside the VC don't appear as crisp and refined as the likes of the other payware aircraft I mentioned above.

Two 325hp turbocharged IO-520's carry the aeroplane through the sky, reportedly thought to be underpowered for the size of the aircraft. The cabin doesn't have the ability to pressurize either- a money saving trade off that was meant to make the 402 cheaper to purchase and operate than it's competition.

Takeoff roll at max weight is approximately 670m, and landing distance is 760m, both calculated with nil wind in ISA conditions. Cruise speed at 28"/2600 RPM is 180mph / 157 knots with a range of 1273 miles according to the developer.

I'll let the screenshots to the talking. If you're like me, it's scrolling through snaps like these that make me decide whether or not to shell out for FS addons. Hopefully the following big pictures do the product justice:

All the panel gauges and switches are functional bar the weather radar screen. The Flysimware website states 'future updates might bring this to life'.

Checklists for all phases of flight are included on the FSX kneeboard- something I found handy after flooding the engines and having the righthand prop stop on my first takeoff roll. Turns out the TCIO520 doesn't require fuel pumps on high pressure mode unlike it's smaller siblings, and the flooding failure has been deliberately included by the developer!

The standard Cessna 800 Navomatic autopilot is found on the lower centre console, with the control selectors placed on the lower right of the main panel six pack.

A Garmin G530 GPS receiver is included on the panel, and popped up with the shift+3 key combination. This includes a functioning VNAV page, allowing top of descent calculations on the fly which is neat. However, once popped up, the GPS screen takes up well over half the display on my screen and unlike most sub panels that allow for cursor click and drag rescaling, the Flysimware screen would only allow me to change the width of the GPS but not its height. NAV1 and COM1 are linked to the 530.

I was unable to change the fuel selectors from their preloaded straight up/down setting. The FSW website states: New feature that allows the "fuel valve always on" incase you save a default flight with the valve off.

The front upper quarter viewpoints definitely make the aircraft look its best from spot view.

Although the back quarter is growing on me..

Misc captures over the snow.

The rear cabin internal textures lack in dimensional depth to my eye.

Breaking visual and circling to land at Greymouth.

It would be good to see some kiwi repaints made for this model, with ZK-VAD from Ridge Air a being a fairly simple white scheme.

Check out the official product website for more information here, or head over to SimMarket if you wish to swap $41.30 NZD for the 101MB download.
Last edited by ardypilot on Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Intel Core i5-2400|8GB RAM|ATI Radeon HD 5750 (1GB)|1TB Seagate Barracuda|Windows 7 64 Bit|FSX Gold Edition|24" AOC Widescreen
ardypilot
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby Ian Warren » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:33 pm

I get very Bias these days and check out the scenery first smile.gif Ideal for Greymouth or ripping around this part off the country, I guess I have to go back to my AN2 ... hang on .. I do not have that installed yet ..
Last edited by Ian Warren on Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby Tupolev114 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:41 pm

I would do a repaint for this bird but there is no paint kit and looks like there never will be one, i have asked and looks realy promising when i havent had a reply at all regarding it after a week since the request
Tupolev114

Postby Ian Warren » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:28 pm

Tupolev114 wrote:
QUOTE (Tupolev114 @ Jul 24 2014,9:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would do a repaint for this bird but there is no paint kit and looks like there never will be one

Don't need a paint kit .. I jump in the deep end and hand paint ..
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby deeknow » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:09 pm

Cheers for writing the review Trolly. I too am a sucker for the older twins and would have bought this based on your review, had I not already just bought it on special recently tongue.gif TBH, the screenies FlySimware use to promote the model aren't as flattering as yours.

I bought the 402 as I'd recently been reading about Cape Air who are a big operator of these in Massachusetts. I've also got the FSD Navajo which I reckon is good value for the price, I get quite a few legs in on that as well.
Last edited by deeknow on Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deans repaints: http://www.deeknow.com/
Asus P8Z68 m/b - i5/2500k @4.3GHz - EVGA-GTX560Ti - 8GB DDR3/1600 - Win7 - FSX
deeknow
NZFF Pro

Postby cowpatz » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:24 pm

Nice review Andrew. I fly it occasionally in P3D but I find the sound is all wrong. It is like they have used C172 sounds. The texturing is also somewhat dated. Still reasonable value.
Remember the 50-50-90 rule. Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong!

cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Postby deeknow » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:58 pm

cowpatz wrote:
QUOTE (cowpatz @ Jul 25 2014,5:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I find the sound is all wrong. It is like they have used C172 sounds.

Yeah after seeing the review I took her for a spin and notice the familiar sound set too, but notice they ship their own sound folder, surely not a copy?
deeknow
NZFF Pro

Postby cowpatz » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:43 pm

They seem to be default FSX Baron sounds. I have downloaded a set of IO-520 sounds from AVSIM.
Produced by SkyHigh Audio Simulations. Just back up the original sound folder and replace with this on and give it a try.
fsx_beech_baron_58_sounds.zip
Remember the 50-50-90 rule. Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong!

cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Postby deeknow » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:29 pm

cowpatz wrote:
QUOTE (cowpatz @ Jul 28 2014,7:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have downloaded a set of IO-520 sounds from AVSIM.

Cheers for that. Nice sound-set for a freebie aye, just had a play with it. I've ended up aliasing to the Carenado M20 Mooney which I have installed.
I notice there's also this pay-for IO-550 pack available from Arezone, sounds even better...
http://secure.simmarket.com/arezone-cirrus...ndset-fsx.phtml
Last edited by deeknow on Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deeknow
NZFF Pro

Postby cowpatz » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:23 pm

Revision 1.5 is out now.

Rev 1.5 UPDATES:

All textures were re formated for 60% sharper clearity

New texture weathering for all paint themes

New texture for fuel selector

Updated pilot's head with AO effects

More AO effects added to the interior walls

It does look a lot better externally. A shame they didn't update the sound as it still sounds like a C172 inside.

cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Return to Reviews