FSCaptain 1.04.04

Read and write review articles of flight simulator addons and expansions here

Postby gojozoom » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:47 am

Hi guys,

A couple of days ago I purchased FSCaptain, so I thought I'd put a quick review together. I've been using FSPassengers for years, but its focus on earning money and micromanaging everything wasn't the sort of thing I was looking for (I know you can disable these features, but that's like buying a car then removing its interior....). It was rather a stop-gap for me. Now FSCaptain is something different. It provides continuous work load in the cockpit the same way you'd expect in real world. Also this add-on isn't focused on the "big tubes"- that's a biggie for me as I fly mid-size turboprops mainly. It's beautifully integrated into FSX with a professional-looking gauge (similar to an FMC) that's easy to use and has no performance hit. It took some fiddling to set up the load map for 3rd party aircraft, but they made it as easy as possible (well-explained in the manual). I've spent about 20 minutes, and I had a real-world airline set up (based on Air2There at Paraparaumu) with its schedule and fleet.

Basically it's the real-world-like features that make it so different:

- Continuous interaction with the airline dispatch, crew and passengers: You can request weather, runway and gate information from dispatch, you even get weather warnings filed by other pilots. You can request diversions and make announcements like "Dear passengers, we're getting hold up on our approach due to another plane on the runway, expect 10 mins delay" which will count in your final flight score.

- The background sounds are fantastic and flawless. Your FO keeps you updated about pretty much everything that you need to know, you can signal the flight attendants by using the non-smoking switch (as they often do in real world), the in-flight service is fully automated based on your settings. You need to keep your dispatch up-to-date by sending top-of-climb, top-of-descend and position reports.

- Basically EVERYTHING is fully customizable to the last bit: Airline policies, aircraft setups, score system, random failures (hundreds of them)

- Due to the clever score system you're flights are challenging and rewarding in the same time, allowing you to proceed further in your career based on your settings.

- You -the captain- only need to focus on getting there safely in time, and comply with your airline policies. You don't need to worry about the financial background or reputation of your company, ticket/oil/seat prices, and other boring stuff.... (boring for me anyways). Let the exec's do their jobs, and let us do ours: FLY.

- You get a huge help with your flight planning from dispatch. They'll calculate your fuel, payload info, ETA, and a bunch of other things. You can -of course- adjust these numbers, but I found that if you provide precise information in your aircraft profile, their calculations are pretty much spot on.

- There are multiple ways to set up a flight: From a pre-loaded schedule (you can import schedules from AI packages!), randomized charter flights (based on limitiations that you set up), or just ad-hoc (setting up a flight in 3 minutes). Up to you.

- It has full VA integration capability

- Support-wise: The manual is fantastic (all 4 of them), a tutorial is included too. I didn't find any bugs so far smile.gif

SUMMARY:

FSCaptain keeps me entertained for the whole flight, and provides me with a very realistic sense of being a captain, while backing me up with every information I need to get there safely.

Love it!
5 STARS!

Dan
gojozoom
Sim-holic

Topic author

Postby Barrington » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:13 pm

gojozoom wrote:
QUOTE (gojozoom @ Jan 15 2013,10:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi guys,

A couple of days ago I purchased FSCaptain, so I thought I'd put a quick review together. I've been using FSPassengers for years, but its focus on earning money and micromanaging everything wasn't the sort of thing I was looking for (I know you can disable these features, but that's like buying a car then removing its interior....). It was rather a stop-gap for me. Now FSCaptain is something different. It provides continuous work load in the cockpit the same way you'd expect in real world. Also this add-on isn't focused on the "big tubes"- that's a biggie for me as I fly mid-size turboprops mainly. It's beautifully integrated into FSX with a professional-looking gauge (similar to an FMC) that's easy to use and has no performance hit. It took some fiddling to set up the load map for 3rd party aircraft, but they made it as easy as possible (well-explained in the manual). I've spent about 20 minutes, and I had a real-world airline set up (based on Air2There at Paraparaumu) with its schedule and fleet.

Basically it's the real-world-like features that make it so different:

- Continuous interaction with the airline dispatch, crew and passengers: You can request weather, runway and gate information from dispatch, you even get weather warnings filed by other pilots. You can request diversions and make announcements like "Dear passengers, we're getting hold up on our approach due to another plane on the runway, expect 10 mins delay" which will count in your final flight score.

- The background sounds are fantastic and flawless. Your FO keeps you updated about pretty much everything that you need to know, you can signal the flight attendants by using the non-smoking switch (as they often do in real world), the in-flight service is fully automated based on your settings. You need to keep your dispatch up-to-date by sending top-of-climb, top-of-descend and position reports.

- Basically EVERYTHING is fully customizable to the last bit: Airline policies, aircraft setups, score system, random failures (hundreds of them)

- Due to the clever score system you're flights are challenging and rewarding in the same time, allowing you to proceed further in your career based on your settings.

- You -the captain- only need to focus on getting there safely in time, and comply with your airline policies. You don't need to worry about the financial background or reputation of your company, ticket/oil/seat prices, and other boring stuff.... (boring for me anyways). Let the exec's do their jobs, and let us do ours: FLY.

- You get a huge help with your flight planning from dispatch. They'll calculate your fuel, payload info, ETA, and a bunch of other things. You can -of course- adjust these numbers, but I found that if you provide precise information in your aircraft profile, their calculations are pretty much spot on.

- There are multiple ways to set up a flight: From a pre-loaded schedule (you can import schedules from AI packages!), randomized charter flights (based on limitiations that you set up), or just ad-hoc (setting up a flight in 3 minutes). Up to you.

- It has full VA integration capability

- Support-wise: The manual is fantastic (all 4 of them), a tutorial is included too. I didn't find any bugs so far smile.gif

SUMMARY:

FSCaptain keeps me entertained for the whole flight, and provides me with a very realistic sense of being a captain, while backing me up with every information I need to get there safely.

Love it!
5 STARS!

Dan

Sounds great Dan,
Who distributes and at what price?
Is it a download or boxed?
Many thanks
Cheers
Barrington
Barrington
Forum Addict

Postby gojozoom » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:37 pm

Hi there,

It's on sale on Simmarket at the moment (until 15/01) for $33 NZD.

Dan
Last edited by gojozoom on Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gojozoom
Sim-holic

Topic author

Return to Reviews