Recorder Module Tutorial

Share your simulated flights around NZ here. The place to post your flight reports, flight plan instructions and progress on tours

Postby Charl » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:30 pm

Trolly you have your sim settings well-nigh perfect.
#3 is almost photographic, and the last one has exceptional tonal grading.
Very good sequence.
To be honest, track offsets don't mean much now we've learned how to set things up.
You'd still have to fly the original.
Perhaps one could upload a few tasters here?
Looking at the Strike Eagle trio, the frc file would be maybe 600-700kB.
Charl
NZFF Pro

Postby Naki » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:24 pm

Wow nice pics guys - wish I had time to work this out - maybe later this year (Im moving house in three weeks and No 3 child is also due at the same time!! :wacko: )
Naki
NZFF Pro

Postby victor_alpha_charlie » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:49 pm

Naki wrote:
QUOTE (Naki @ Mar 9 2008, 10:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow nice pics guys - wish I had time to work this out - maybe later this year (Im moving house in three weeks and No 3 child is also due at the same time!! :wacko: )

It's not actually very hard at all- although I'm not moving house and I'm 89% sure I don't have a third kid on the way :P
victor_alpha_charlie
NZFF Pro

Postby Ian Warren » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:24 pm

Naki wrote:
QUOTE (Naki @ Mar 9 2008, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Congrads Paul and Salena :) Close to a formation of 5 .............. Movin house .... YUK ! but with your book collection , I might just head north and give you a hand ....... :unsure: ...umm not sure i'd be any Help .... so many books (to read) :rolleyes: , hey chap ... anything yo find on the RNZAF Sunderlands send it my way :thumbup: ....................... figured since ya moving :)
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby Naki » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:29 pm

victor_alpha_charlie wrote:
QUOTE (victor_alpha_charlie @ Mar 9 2008, 10:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's not actually very hard at all- although I'm not moving house and I'm 89% sure I don't have a third kid on the way :P

89% sure??

Ian Warren wrote:
QUOTE (Ian Warren @ Mar 9 2008, 11:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Congrads Paul and Salena :) Close to a formation of 5 .............. Movin house .... YUK ! but with your book collection , I might just head north and give you a hand ....... :unsure: ...umm not sure i'd be any Help .... so many books (to read) :rolleyes: , hey chap ... anything yo find on the RNZAF Sunderlands send it my way :thumbup: ....................... figured since ya moving :)

Sorry hijacking the thread a bit - thanks for the congrads Ian - yes formation of 5 moving from one suburb of TGA to another - lower mortgage, smaller house , bigger family... and a new car to carry the kids!! Sunderland - mmm not sure if I have too much - I will look out for you but you probably have more than me - most books and mags already packed - wife had heart attack when she saw 8 boxes of magazines ready to go!
Naki
NZFF Pro

Postby victor_alpha_charlie » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:37 pm

Naki wrote:
QUOTE (Naki @ Mar 10 2008, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
89% sure??

There's always a chance :lol: :ph43r:

Naki wrote:
QUOTE (Naki @ Mar 10 2008, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
most books and mags already packed - wife had heart attack when she saw 8 boxes of magazines ready to go!

Aircraft magazines? :P Whatever they are you should be allowed to keep em! :D
Last edited by victor_alpha_charlie on Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
victor_alpha_charlie
NZFF Pro

Postby Adamski » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:11 am

Thanks for all the info, guys. I gave it a whirl with FSX ... editing the .txt file as suggested at the top of this thread. I found the values a bit hit and miss at first, but a bit of trial & error got me some results! Used the best one (I think) for the March screencomp ... so here are a few I had some fun with! Definitely a lot easier than trying to physically fly with the recordings. The time delay is good - introducing random wobbles etc.

Last edited by Adamski on Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage Image
Adamski
NZFF Pro

Postby Ian Warren » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:18 am

Ok Adam , how did you choose ! .. throw 'spit balls' at your screenie collection biggrin.gif
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby Adamski » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:30 am

Ian Warren wrote:
QUOTE (Ian Warren @ Mar 20 2009, 02:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok Adam , how did you choose ! .. throw 'spit balls' at your screenie collection biggrin.gif

Hehe ... I think I recorded the tracks in about an hour ... then spent 6 hours deciding!! Recording a flight then doing screengrabs from the replay is so much easier than flying/pausing etc.

Added one more to the set above (the top one - which I didn't think would crop well, but I liked it) ... then I found this solitary Lanc ... which I oh so nearly entered ... but it didn't have a Spit in it laugh.gif

Hmm ... the more I look at this one ... damn ... I like the top one now! H-E-L-P!
Last edited by Adamski on Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage Image
Adamski
NZFF Pro

Postby leow5263 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:06 pm

This looks awesome
Last edited by leow5263 on Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leow5263
Forum Addict

Postby Charl » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:29 pm

Time has marched on...so has RM.
The latest v2.1 beta is so easy to use, and adds a brilliant feature:
you can select which aircraft is yours during replay.
For the first time, you can be the #2 in the pack, and make yourself airsick trying to hang on to the leader...

I'd link you to adamski's post describing the update, but can't locate it, so here's a transcript:

Minimal instructions for setting up a formation with FS-Recorder

1) Grab and install the latest FSRecorder from www.fs-recorder.net.
2) Check the FAQs and the Forum (lots of good info there).

This is without changing any default options at all:

3) Select your aircraft (maybe turn off all FS AI if you want decent framerates) and place yourself ready for take off (or wherever).
4) Go to the FSRecorder Menu and select "Record".
5) Leave all top panel options OFF/unticked
6) In the lower left panel (RH one is irrelevant for this) - select all the options/animations you want to record (default is OK). All your added aircraft in the formation will use this data.
7) Hit OK. You'll be prompted for a filename when you stop recording.
8) Fly your flight, making sure you have plenty of "straight and level" sections for when messing about in outside views when playing back for screenshots etc.
9) STOP the recording and save.

When replaying your recording, you can over-ride what happens to your aircraft (only). Any "cloned" aircraft will use whatever's been recorded initially by your own (flown) aircraft.

10) Go to "Advanced Play" and load the track you just recorded.
11) Select your aircraft then clone it a few times, not forgetting to set one of them with "Set user aircraft".
12) Leave the offset for your own aircraft at zero, then set the offsets for your clones. These are relative to either the first aircraft in the list or your own user aircraft - not sure which. 15ft is good value. Experiment as required. If you want a bit of vertically separation, enter that. It'll look daft when taking off but will be OK in the air.
13) Select your clones in turn, setting different aircraft/models as required. On my version, the legend (ie. the base aircraft) in the top panel doesn't change, but the crop-downs will show what's what when you select them.
14) You can choose to override any of the recorded inputs by UNselecting the various tickboxes. Your aircraft will still follow the recorded track, but you can change the animations (eg. gear, flaps, lights, etc.).
15) Your clones will do what your original recorded aircraft did. UNticking their boxes will stop any of those animations playing back - though the aircraft will still drop gear as required.
16) Leave the three "Rotate with offsets" boxes UNticked. Ticking any of them will make your wingmen stick like glue in that axis.
17) Play your advanced track - and snap away!

FSRecorder is an awesomely flexible utility. You can record/over-record add multiple tracks, you name it ... but this is only to get a quick and easy formation going!
Last edited by Charl on Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charl
NZFF Pro

Postby Charl » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:13 pm

I'm cross-posting this, although it's done in FS9 it has general application:

I had some previous tries at getting some gliders to fly around my favourite GA airport, but never found it too convincing.

Now comes Recorder Module 2, so I thought I'd share this.

1. Save a startup flight, and fly the tow-plane halfway round the circuit, recording Track1.
2. Save the flight
3. Carry on and land, recording Track 2
4. Load the saved flight, change to the glider, fly around a bit and land, recording Track 3

Now assemble the final RM tracks:
5. In Advanced Play, insert Track 1
6. Copy the plane and insert as glider, 10m astern and delayed 2s
7. Insert Track 2, delayed by as long as it took to finish Flight 1 (mine was 147s)
8. Insert Track 3, delayed by (in my case) 147+2 s
9. Save the file
10. In "Settings" tell RM to start this file whenever you load the startup flight.

Here's a clip of the result:

You can insert several of these files, perhaps changing aircraft and creating several unique glider AI circuits.
And, you can select a user plane and experience the flight
Charl
NZFF Pro

Postby Alfashark » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:59 pm

Nicely done! With the height you had as you turned on to finals, I was expecting a competition finish... But then the wheel popped out laugh.gif
ImageImage
Alfashark
Sim-holic

Postby deeknow » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:50 pm

Charl, this rocks mate, love the concept, and awesome editing/choreography.. you should be working on the Hobbit smile.gif
Deans repaints: http://www.deeknow.com/
Asus P8Z68 m/b - i5/2500k @4.3GHz - EVGA-GTX560Ti - 8GB DDR3/1600 - Win7 - FSX
deeknow
NZFF Pro

Postby Charl » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:44 pm

Cheers guys, it really is a blast to do this stuff.
I ended up replicating the circuit file every 90 seconds, and it looks like rush hour.
But as Steve points out, first you have to fly the aircraft...
Charl
NZFF Pro

Previous

Return to Flights