Glacier Surfing

Share your simulated flights around NZ here. The place to post your flight reports, flight plan instructions and progress on tours

Postby ardypilot » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:31 pm

All you who are equipped with the brilliant Red Baron NZ mesh, you are in for a treat!

Take yourself to Mount Cook airport (NZMC), and start up a flight in an aircraft with ski gear. (Seems to work with tricycle and float gear planes too, but is rather unrealistic).

Take off, and climb over westwards the peaks and head towards the Tasman coast. Once you reach the sea line, follow it north until you see the Fox Glacier and Franz Josef Glacier on your left hand window.

user posted image

Make sure you are high enough that your altitude is about the same as the top of the glaciers, then head for the tops of the ice slopes and carefully land on the snow. (Make sure your 'crash detection' setting is turned off in the realism settings)

user posted image

Once you touch down on the slope, you will begin sliding backwards, so cut the engine, and use your brakes and rudder to get you facing down the slope rather than up at the sky. You will begin to slide faster and faster, and now all you have to do is try and remain in control! As you hit bumps in your path, you will be shot off into the air, so finish you flight by gliding off out the mountains, and restarting your engines :D

user posted image

Try and see how fast you can go (Shift+Z brings your speed to the top of the screen) before you become airborne again. I managed 105kias today ;)

Other fun glacier activates include trying to make a full stop landing on the sloped glacier, or sliding a chopper down the ice...
ardypilot
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby Charl » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:33 pm

Wussy!
Only helicopters should be allowed to perform this dangerous sport.
Unlike fixed-wing, you cannot glide.
And 10 points deducted for every metre travelled off the ground before the end of the run!
Video must surely follow...
Charl
NZFF Pro

Postby ZK-MAT » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:33 pm

Oh the challenge is set!!! Now to get a slippery helo....

Edit after brief reccy trip:

OK, need co-ords now, found lots of slippery slopes ... not even sure any of these three are the right one! The green lean racing machine is set to slide it's way into oblivion though :)

user posted image

Duh, Edit Two: I see Co-Ords in the screenshots above... after midnight now so tomorrow I'll give it a blast
Last edited by ZK-MAT on Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
ZK-MAT

Postby FlyingKiwi » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:35 am

Haha, looks like fun, might have to try that! :)
FlyingKiwi

Postby Codge » Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:14 pm

Helo's do glide,the yellow Huey from Hovercontrol glides quite nicely.You certainly have to hold the cyclic properly. Just cruise along at 1000ft or so and cut the power and practice your gliding (Autorotation)
2 wrongs don't make a right but 2 Wrights made an aeroplane!
Codge
Forum Addict

Postby Charl » Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:23 pm

Helo's do glide,the yellow Huey from Hovercontrol glides quite nicely

Quite right, I didn't have time to change feet, what I meant to say was:

Only helicopters should be allowed to perform this dangerous sport.
Unlike fixed-wing, where you are launched into the air and inadvertently glide, with a helo you are in charge and can put it straight back on the ground.
And 10 points deducted for every metre travelled off the ground before the end of the run!
Video must surely follow...

And if I were being pedantic, I'd point out that FS9 helos cannot autorotate ;)
Last edited by Charl on Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charl
NZFF Pro

Postby ardypilot » Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:16 pm

Nice screenie ZK-MAT, I don't remember seeing three slopes in a row? What location is that? Are they all glaciers?
ardypilot
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby squirrel350 » Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:30 pm

Im going to have to try this fun new sport I have to agree the yellow huey would be good for this task but dont think I will try it just yet I think I would be the only one to crash at the bottom of the glacier hahahahaha.
squirrel350

Return to Flights