Rain stopped play

Share your simulated flights around NZ here. The place to post your flight reports, flight plan instructions and progress on tours

Rain stopped play

Postby emfrat » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:35 pm

Yesty, MetService was offering slow-moving heavy rainstorms all down the Canterbury Plains, so I thought I would see what FSRealWX Lite would make of it. Left Alexandra, won through to Shag Point, then headed up the coast for Ashburton - but I only made it as far as Timaru :givein:

MikeW
'Propliner' is actually short for 'Proper airliner, with big rumbly radials'

emfrat
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Re: Rain stopped play

Postby Ian Warren » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:21 pm

:D Bloody nice here in Christchurch yesterday, and equal today, I'm 'Rapidely' thinking the 'Real World Weather' is really not up to scratch , I don't believe all weather stations get fully utilized by FSX , they only use three stations based on the FSX released .. BUGGER!
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby NZ255 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:51 pm

Ian Warren wrote::D Bloody nice here in Christchurch yesterday, and equal today, I'm 'Rapidely' thinking the 'Real World Weather' is really not up to scratch , I don't believe all weather stations get fully utilized by FSX , they only use three stations based on the FSX released .. BUGGER!

If you use active sky, enable use VATSIM weather. Then make a basic flight plan (otherwise it won't use VATSIM wx)
The VATNZ guys get the real ATIS from Airways 17 reporting airports and use that as the weather. Great improvement over the 3 stations, AA, CH and WN.

http://www.vatnz.net/wx/
NZ255
NZFF Pro

Postby emfrat » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:16 pm

Ian Warren wrote::D Bloody nice here in Christchurch yesterday, and equal today, I'm 'Rapidely' thinking the 'Real World Weather' is really not up to scratch , I don't believe all weather stations get fully utilized by FSX , they only use three stations based on the FSX released .. BUGGER!

MetService had a warning out, for slow-moving t'storms with heavy rain, affecting the whole coast of the Canterbury Bight. I thought RealWX Lite made a fair job of it, for a freebie. A few minutes ago I started a flight at CH, and when I asked WXLite for some weather, it downloaded Metars from 19 stations.
MikeW

emfrat
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby Ian Warren » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:16 pm

NZ255 wrote:

If you use active sky, enable use VATSIM weather. Then make a basic flight plan (otherwise it won't use VATSIM wx)
The VATNZ guys get the real ATIS from Airways 17 reporting airports and use that as the weather. Great improvement over the 3 stations, AA, CH and WN.

http://www.vatnz.net/wx/

Thanx Nick .. I still have to join one of the VATSIM fights if only to be kicked .. nah seriously , really wanta give this a shot , outta touch with radio chat but guess that's OK .. be the nerdy pilot , ... Ive seen this operate at a few venues , I should click in for starters even only for the weather .
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby Ian Warren » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:20 pm

emfrat wrote:

MetService had a warning out, for slow-moving t'storms with heavy rain, affecting the whole coast of the Canterbury Bight. I thought RealWX Lite made a fair job of it, for a freebie. A few minutes ago I started a flight at CH, and when I asked WXLite for some weather, it downloaded Metars from 19 stations.

Currently we have a light convergence from the South with possible rain within the later evening but other than that we should sparkle ...... THAT'S ITS ..IM GO TO BE A WEATHER MAN or person
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby NZ255 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:37 pm

Ian Warren wrote:Thanx Nick .. I still have to join one of the VATSIM fights if only to be kicked .. nah seriously , really wanta give this a shot , outta touch with radio chat but guess that's OK .. be the nerdy pilot , ... Ive seen this operate at a few venues , I should click in for starters even only for the weather .

You don't even have to be on VATSIM to get the weather via ActiveSky. I believe only Active Sky can get vatsim weather as they have some kind of partnership.

It's worth a look though, I've been meaning to make a video of a Wednesday weekly flight as a sort of tutorial. There are lots for overseas but NZ's a bit different. Aren't you more of a VFR man yourself? :D
NZ255
NZFF Pro

Postby emfrat » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:52 pm

FSREalWXLite gives me a choice of loading VATSIM or NOAA.
MikeW

emfrat
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby NZ255 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:23 pm

emfrat wrote:FSREalWXLite gives me a choice of loading VATSIM or NOAA.

Cool, I don't there's a downside to the vatsim weather, esp in NZ as it's far more accurate at the reporting (17) airports. And even goes as far as getting the local weather for areas that don't have an Airways control tower (who publish the weather) from other sources and injecting them in. Read the manual of the program because you might have to make a flight plan to get the vatsim weather (at least in active sky you do)
NZ255
NZFF Pro

Postby emfrat » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:02 pm

Hello Nick - it doesn't come with a manual :o . This link will give you an idea of what it can do:
http://forums.bostonvirtualatc.com/view ... =34&t=4297

I am running it on Win7x64, FSX SP2+Acc. It's free, it does impact FPS but not disastrously, so I only use it after consulting MetService and the Earth_null Wind map.
The NOAA Metars option is apparently for flying offline...not sure I follow that; it is either live weather or it isn't.
ATB
MikeW

emfrat
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Return to Flights