Off to NZQN...

Share your simulated flights around NZ here. The place to post your flight reports, flight plan instructions and progress on tours

Postby emfrat » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:32 pm

Picked up this Wassmer WA-40 at http://frenchvfr.free.fr/download.php?lng=en
Met Serv said Otago was sunny, so I went to Balclutha, switched on FSrealWXlite and took off for NZQN. Somebody was telling porkies... ohmy.gif

hmm...left hand down a bit...

and again...

that's better, sort of...

And now to replenish the vital fluids biggrin.gif
MikeW
'Propliner' is actually short for 'Proper airliner, with big rumbly radials'

emfrat
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby Ian Warren » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:11 am

Mike , ya have not changed your Signature ole Howy's babe smile.gif , whoops not about that .. about the package in the cargo hold ? now what is that .. a box of wine? unsure.gif
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby emfrat » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:33 pm

Ian Warren wrote:
QUOTE (Ian Warren @ Jul 8 2014,8:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mike , ya have not changed your Signature ole Howy's babe smile.gif , whoops not about that .. about the package in the cargo hold ? now what is that .. a box of wine? unsure.gif

Well it says "Rosé de Provence" and down the bottom "36 Bouteilles" which should be enuff - the grey box is clearly one of those camping fridge/freezers, packed with lots of posh munchables....maybe even some Goose liver paté lol
The Latecoere 631 did a lot more than a half-mile flight, so I will stay with that.
Must say I was impressed with the weather delivered by FSRealWX, even if it didn't match the forecast. Scary stuff.
MikeW

emfrat
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby Kamoflarj » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:27 am

emfrat wrote:
QUOTE (emfrat @ May 4 2014,8:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, as I said elsewhere, the graphics card can only paint the screen with what the CPU is able to feed it.

Some years back, when I was being a friendly support person for an ISP, I got a call from a customer "My computer is acting really weird it is doing "this, and this, and this"
So I asked if he had been using Kazaa, and he had, so I knew what was wrong and told him I could fix it, but it would take a couple of hours at least and I charged $60/hr.
He was OK with that, so I went and cleaned his machine, installed some freeware protection, and left him some printed material to back up my advice about cyberspace safety.
A few weeks later, I got a call from the same bloke. He was having the same problems he rang me about before, which I had fixed, and told him how to avoid, so I asked how come he now had the same trouble.

"Oh yeah, but my stepmother-in-law's ex-boyfriend said I didn't need that stuff so I got him to delete it all."

So I told him I would fix it again, it would still take a couple of hours, but this time I would be charging $100/hr.
He called me a "smart b*****d" and hung up.

There is a moral there, for those who can see it.

emfrat wrote:
QUOTE (emfrat @ Jul 8 2014,9:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well it says "Rosé de Provence" and down the bottom "36 Bouteilles" which should be enuff - the grey box is clearly one of those camping fridge/freezers, packed with lots of posh munchables....maybe even some Goose liver paté lol
The Latecoere 631 did a lot more than a half-mile flight, so I will stay with that.
Must say I was impressed with the weather delivered by FSRealWX, even if it didn't match the forecast. Scary stuff.

You should try opus weather 3.4 very accurate wx report and winds aloft data. (provided you input a good flight plan. This can be created with rebuild. Then import to opus) active sky 2012 is also very good, its more eye candy than opus, because it provides you with better ground and cloud textures, but functionally, is still the same. One thing as2012 does better fun functionally though is it creates variable wind from the metar data. But only varies about 20 degrees from the reported metar, so it won't change runway assignment.
Kamoflarj

Postby emfrat » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:52 pm

Kamoflarj wrote:
QUOTE (Kamoflarj @ Jul 9 2014,8:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You should try opus weather 3.4 very accurate wx report and winds aloft data. (provided you input a good flight plan. This can be created with rebuild. Then import to opus) active sky 2012 is also very good, its more eye candy than opus, because it provides you with better ground and cloud textures, but functionally, is still the same. One thing as2012 does better fun functionally though is it creates variable wind from the metar data. But only varies about 20 degrees from the reported metar, so it won't change runway assignment.

Well, in this case, I think the metar weather was real time (i.e. mid/late afternoon) and the MetServ forecast came from that morning's forecast, so I'm not worried.
FSrWXlite is free, it is a huge improvement on default, and I enjoy the variability it provides. I don't fly in heavy weather unless I want to practice my IFR skills.
I have two FS2004 installs on another machine, one modern, one Classic, and I have REX3 (I think) in one and AS in the other. I set up the weather in them through FSUIPC and the cloud textures etc come from the add-ons. Very nice they look , too.
Sometimes I do full procedurals,. but for viewing the scenery, I get in a nice runabout, take off, and around 6000' decide where I will go, depending on which way I happen to be pointing. smile.gif
BTW, that other machine has only XP3 and the two FS9.1 installations on it.
It's a sim, I fly it for fun, I get good results within the limitations of my kit - and I'm happy with that.

cheers1.gif
MikeW

emfrat
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Return to Flights