FREIGHT SOUTH : The Story of a Lifelong Dream

Share your simulated flights around NZ here. The place to post your flight reports, flight plan instructions and progress on tours

Postby ScottyB » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:32 pm

FREIGHT SOUTH

The Story of a Lifelong Dream

The phone rang loudly as I sipped a strong coffee over the Nelson Mail on a cold, crisp morning at my Kaiteriteri home. My usual Sunday morning ritual was going to take a turn for the better, one that would change my life, as the morning sun shimmered across Tasman Bay, reflecting off something bright above Nelson.

After a few minutes on the phone to the bank I was soon informed that my loan and approval to open a air freight company had been approved - a dream come true. This was years in the making; I had worked long and hard to get here, to one day run my own aviation business. The time had come: Freight South had been officially opened.

I have big plans for my company: being based out of Nelson will mean that we are very central to the entire New Zealand freight market. However initially being a small company only starting out we will only be able to run one, maybe two, smaller aircraft. Along with that I can only afford to hire one other pilot to operate alongside myself. There are a few candidates out there, namely a couple of family friends who are young, relatively inexperienced pilots with only their CPL/MEIR's. Although this may not sound like much, it will be enough to begin with as I will assign my fellow pilot, whoever it may be, to straightforward daytime runs into the easier airports.

The first thing is to purchase an aircraft, and maybe two if we can afford it and are willing to take the risk. I have my eye set on a Cessna 206 Stationair that has been sitting in a hangar in Te Anau for the past four years. Owned privately and always maintained, it seems that it may be a viable option to begin with. A bit on the 206:

The Cessna 206 Stationair is a single engine, general aviation aircraft with fixed landing gear used in commercial air service and also for personal use. The 206 as originally developed from the popular retractable-gear Cessna 210.
The line's combination of a powerful engine, rugged construction and a large cabin has made these aircraft popular bush and cargo planes. Cessna describes the 206 as "the sport-utility vehicle of the air." These airplanes are also used for aerial photography, skydiving and other utility purposes. They can also be equipped with floats, amphibious floats and skis. Alternatively, they can be fitted with luxury appointments for use as a personal air transport.
Between the start of production in 1962 and 2006 the total Cessna 205, 206 and 207 production has been 8509 aircraft so far - Source Wiki

In terms of a second aircraft, I am looking at a second hand Cessna 172 that has been used for A.T.O's in Wanaka for the past decade - again, this one has been well maintauined but is a wee bit rugged in terms of cosmetics. This should be fine with a bit of a touch up, for my colleague to operate (when I find one).

So once we purchase our aircraft and get the fine print such as insurance organised, we will be set to go! Our hangar space in Nelson is going to be perfect to operate from: convenient, well serviced airport, and close to the pub on Friday nights!

Last edited by ScottyB on Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScottyB
Sim-holic

Topic author

Postby Ian Warren » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:09 pm

Good story , could i be one off your pilots , course you need a company livery , a paint .. I don't have a GA but for a Manfred Jahn transport the DC-3, when established maybe add a Connie smile.gif
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby Dean » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:25 pm

Nice story! Waiting for Chapter 2 now smile.gif
Dean Bielanowski
Manager - PC Aviator Australia
The Flight Simulation Company!
Retailing Sim DVD Software, Downloads, Hardware and Accessories
Online Store: http://www.pcaviator.com.au/store
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dean
Sim-holic

Postby ScottyB » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:00 pm

FREIGHT SOUTH

The Story of a Lifelong Dream

It was my first day on the job. My newly purchased Cesssna 206 Stationair sat proudly in the Canterbury sun. I'm sure it will last me a long time, but it will certainly be limited to smaller cargo and shorter runs. Oh, the dreams of expanding already! I'm excited!

So far, so good. Freight South is ready for its first day in operation. I was flown down last night to Pudding Hill by a family friends son, where the 206 was going to be for a couple of days up from Te Anau. Boy was I impressed. It was in great nick, both cosmetically and mechanically, and I didn't even need more that 10 minutes for a decision: this would be Freight South's first aircraft.

I had received an earlier phone call by Sounds Air asking that if I was to purchase the 206, could I pick up some Pilatus parts from Mount Cook airport. I duly agreed and after completing the handover details, I fired up the 206 and got airborne into a howling nor-westerly. This was going to be a bit of a test for me and the aircraft alike, traversing the Southern Alps into Mount Cook.

The flight was stunning, and once I got out of the lenticulars it was surprisingly smooth. The morning sun was rising behind me, lighting up the barren Mackenzie Basin and dramatising the turquoise blue of Lake Pukaki and Tekapo. However once I got closer to the Main Divide, angry westerly clouds were rolling into the headwaters of the alps, causing some severe down draughts. This made for a challenging descent into Mount Cook. After piercing a gap in the cloud, I touched down and taxied to the cargo ramp and proceeded to load up the Cessna - this was an incredible feeling; my first cargo run was about to commence.

After a quick cuppa, the 206 spun up once more and I took off into a 23 knot Westerly which was fortunately starting to decrease. I climbed rapidly up to 9,500ft via the Tasman Valley and proceeded north up the spine of the Southern Alps. With almost a full load of heavy parts I couldn't carry much more fuel that the bare minimum required; so throughout the flight I was very nervous. Fuel alarms stayed ringing loudly as a descended past Stoke, and with the airfield I sight I began to get the feeling that I was almost home. With what must have been only a couple of litres of Avgas left, I touched down with a greaser onto runway 02. Fortunately the westerly had blown out and the wind was cam upon arrival.

I was greeted back at the Freight South office by friends and family spraying champagne over the 206 and myself as I shutdown: Freight South is up and running!

Last edited by ScottyB on Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScottyB
Sim-holic

Topic author

Postby nzav8tor » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:14 pm

Oh if it were that easy! It's sound so much fun when there are no audits, manuals and or competition!
nzav8tor
Forum Addict

Postby Ian Warren » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:27 am

nzav8tor wrote:
QUOTE (nzav8tor @ Aug 9 2013,10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh if it were that easy! It's sound so much fun when there are no audits, manuals and or competition!

I think FREIGHT SOUTH needs a paint and a Kiwi rego as well . ZK-SFS would suit
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby ScottyB » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:28 am

Only thing is, I can't repaint sad.gif Anyone want to whip up a quick one? Please!!

smile.gif
ScottyB
Sim-holic

Topic author

Postby Ian Warren » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:52 am

I don't have a Carenado aircraft to paint but this gives a budding paint to become creative who has the model ..... I was giving Miles and Ben at CAC stick about GAist biggrin.gif (Dino's words) planes laugh.gif
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby AlisterC » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:11 pm

Really great Scotty! Keep it up smile.gif Will enjoy following you here.
AlisterC
NZFF Pro

Postby Splitpin » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:06 am

whathesaid.gif thumbup1.gif
OnlineUser avatar
Splitpin
NZFF Pro

Re: FREIGHT SOUTH : The Story of a Lifelong Dream

Postby NBL5370 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:19 pm

Just wondering what has happened to Freight South. Are you guys still flying or what?
NBL5370

Postby kiwibarguy » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:56 am

There are some nice shots there Scotty B. :rockon:
kiwibarguy
Sim-holic

Postby Ian Warren » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:06 pm

kiwibarguy wrote:There are some nice shots there Scotty B. :rockon:

Crikey Paul, long time away, ya gotta ta quit spending to much time in those bars :)
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby ScottyB » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:30 pm

kiwibarguy wrote:There are some nice shots there Scotty B. :rockon:

Cheers mate! Pity this was on FSX. It was looking great and performing great (90% of the time), but the other 10% was far too agonising. I.e crashes, error reports etc. I couldn't handle it anymore and ended up making a system and platform jump to P3D. I'd never look back now!
ScottyB
Sim-holic

Topic author

Return to Flights