Micronesian Mystery Flight - Guam, Marshall Islands, Honolulu

Share your simulated flights around NZ here. The place to post your flight reports, flight plan instructions and progress on tours

Micronesian Mystery Flight - Guam, Marshall Islands, Honolulu

Postby deeknow » Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:14 pm

Flew this double-leg pacific route (it's in the same ocean as NZ right? :D) yesterday which is a real world one operated by Asia Pacific Airlines using their B752 freighter. The airline services the Micronesia area in general all the way from Japan (typ. Tokyo Narita) and Hong Kong in the west, through the various Micronesian states all the way to Honolulu and occasionally the US mainland (typ. LAX or Ontario) in the east.

Addon's used include

• the TDS B752f model which is FSX/P3D friendly and works fine in P3Dv5. I lashed that to the CS 757 panel via a custom merge. Repaint by Chris Evans (filename: b757f_asia_pacific.zip at Simviation)
  • freeware Guam (PGUM) Won Pat International from Morten van der Linden (filename: guam_x_v4_final.zip at avsim) which I had to massage a bit with my own AFCAD level and flatten to get it working in P3Dv5 and isn't quite right but a lot better than default
  • the spectacular Amata Kabua International Airport (PKMG) part of the payware Marshal Islands package from Pacific Islands Simulation, originally released for FSX but seems to play nicely in P3D if you're still lurking there as I am
  • FSDreamTeam's Hawaiian Airports Volume 2 which includes Honolulu (PHNL) which you don't get to see much detail for in these shots as is in the dark but well worth getting for P3D
  • AI all courtesy of the AlphaIndia one click installer wotsit and all the clever repainters and modellers who provide their stuff for that
  • GSX for some ground services shots at each stop

We begin parked on the ground in Guam. This airfield is a joint civilian and US military base (on the other side of the airfield) and sees traffic from various Japanese, Korean and US carriers (United these days, formerly Continental before the merger). Didn't quite get the elevations and jetways sorted but its close enough for now. You can see our aircraft for the day at the far end

The TDS external model looks great IMHO and some decent liveries avail for it. There is a CS livery for Asia Pacific but its a PAX variant where in real life they operate a PAX converted freighter so this looks the part

PGUM - PKMJ: Flight time ~ 3:45 with minimal taxi times at each end

Clear conditions pulling out of Guam heading East for the Marshall Islands.

Just before descending to PKMJ passed over an ATR heading in the same direction which you can just make out in the screenshot if you have young eyes, or your specs handy

Turning for the final visual approach to RWY7 at PKMJ, no ILS here. Obviously the odd missed approach here given the short runway as missed procedure has a hold pattern to return to if you need to have another crack

Not much land to be seen here, an atoll which barely rises above the waters edge. Airport just visible now as the wheels go down and flaps on the way out

Gimme more flaps Scotty !!! and a handful of Auto-brake !!

Nervous much, at least it'll be a short taxi (ignore the gauges on this one, was an analysis/replay mode thing and doesn't seem to show the aircraft state)

Parked up on the apron. Probably the widest part of the atoll

The ATR we passed landed behind and taxiing in

Time for a quick dip between legs?

Baggage handlers loading up for our departure

Apparently Pepsi popular here

PKMJ - PHNL : flight time ~ 4:30

Gratuitous dog leg manoeuvre here for the photo op, to intercept the route on to Honolulu

Lovely local network of atolls and reefs, this one next door to the one we departed from.

Sunset, halfway through the second leg. P3D lighting starting to show its age I guess, esp compared to MSFS

Light winds variable direction so landed 4R which made for a super short taxi to the cargo apron

Bunch of heavies from the mainland for company

And that's all folks, leaving the handlers to unload the aircraft and hit the hotel

thanks for tuning in :cheers:
deeknow
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Re: Micronesian Mystery Flight - Guam, Marshall Islands, Honolulu

Postby chopper_nut » Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:08 pm

Very good. Done the United Island hopper a few times and I hate it with a passion. By the time you get to Kwajalein after leaving Guam at 0700, you're ready to start killing the other people on the aeroplane. That Majuro scenery isn't bad but it is quite inaccurate after you've spent a lot of time there
chopper_nut
NZFF Pro

Postby deeknow » Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:26 pm

chopper_nut wrote:Very good. Done the United Island hopper a few times and I hate it with a passion. By the time you get to Kwajalein after leaving Guam at 0700, you're ready to start killing the other people on the aeroplane. That Majuro scenery isn't bad but it is quite inaccurate after you've spent a lot of time there

Haha sounds like fun, yeah will probably do the full hop in the other direction, quite a few legs aye, 8 or so?

I have the PIS Kosrae airport, but haven't been able to find much for Kwajalein/Bucholz, Pohnpei or Chuuk. Lemme know if you come across anything

Sadly noone has updated any of the sceneries through there for a few years, probably not a super popular destination, $$ wise for developers. Have you had a look in MSFS to see if their auto generated stuff is any good?

Woah... it does look painful (as a PAX)

TRIPREPORT | United (ECONOMY) | Honolulu - Majuro - Kwajalein - Kosrae - Pohnpei - Chuuk - Guam
Watch on youtube.com
deeknow
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby chopper_nut » Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:21 pm

Yeah, I've not seen good scenery or even usable scenery for any of the other stops. A friend of mine was on an aeroplane that burst two tires landing in Kosrae... they only had one spare. Every time, I was aware that the Aloha 737 that lost its roof was also doing lots of cycles on rough Island airstrips... I'll watch that video later after the stressful parts of my day are done, may give me flashbacks otherwise
chopper_nut
NZFF Pro

Postby chopper_nut » Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:03 pm

Just watching it now, definitely brings back memories. I hated those flights at the time as I was always going to work and a year away from home, although we also referred to it as the 'Freedom Bird' because it took you home again. At the 11 minute mark, you can see a white 500 parked at Maj, they were the machines I did my last tuna contract on. Chuuk, formally Truk, is an amazing dive spot.
chopper_nut
NZFF Pro

Postby deeknow » Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:25 pm

chopper_nut wrote:At the 11 minute mark, you can see a white 500 parked at Maj, they were the machines I did my last tuna contract on. Chuuk, formally Truk, is an amazing dive spot.

Nice one !!

PS just re-read your post on the PacSim stuff from 2016 ...
viewtopic.php?p=8382233
deeknow
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby Splitpin » Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:03 pm

Love your work deeknow
Splitpin
NZFF Pro

Postby Aharon » Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:55 am

If Splitpin has not commented today on your one year old flight screenshot report, I would have missed that.

Thanks to Splitpin for spotting your flight report.

And GREAT screenshots as well as GREAT flight report!!

Something wrong with your engine fans that are half blue and half black. Maybe you can correct it by copying engine textures from other liveries??

Regards,

Aharon
Aharon

Postby deeknow » Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:45 am

Thanks for the comments guys. Oh yes Aharon I'll look into that, didn't notice it when taking the screenshots :thumbup:
Deans repaints: http://www.deeknow.com/
X570 Mini-ITX m/b - Ryzen5 3600 (6c/12t) - RTX 2060-super - 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 - Win10 - P3Dv5
deeknow
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Return to Flights