Curtiss C-46 "Commando"

Discuss aircraft addons and repaints for Flight Simulator here

Curtiss C-46 "Commando"

Postby hasegawa » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:01 am

https://www.justflight.com/product/c46-commando

For this one I have waiting for for a long time. Yes, she was always only the Nr. 2 after the Douglas C-47/C-53 and difficult to fly and and a maintenance nightmare. but... she was the biggest aircraft with two engines of it´s time, had a good range, was fast and can climb out a DC 3. The flights over from Assanm, India to Kunming over the Hump are meanwhile legendary and after the war it was not useless. The last aircraft, that left Saigon before the "Vietcong" in 1975 was there was an"Air America"-Transport with 152 people on board... flying from Saigon to Bangkok.
Today there are only a handful left, flying in Alaska and with the Commemorative Air Force.
hasegawa
Sim-holic

Topic author

Re: Curtiss C-46 "Commando"

Postby deeknow » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:32 pm

Love that machine, will defo pick this up, but prolly wait 6months for a sale :)
deeknow
NZFF Pro

Postby BendyFlyer » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:39 pm

Well this one held out great promise but alas as is the case with rushed to market, bugs galore, well major problems, like the fuel system, lights, autopilot, navradios. So parked until they come out with a service pack. I was sincerely hoping this would be a goodie to continue with Hump flights.
BendyFlyer

Postby cowpatz » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:04 am

That is completely unacceptable and suggests little to no beta testing. Minor bugs sure but not major faults like those you mention.
cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Postby hasegawa » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:31 am

by BendyFlyer

Yes I am sorry and must give You right. After around 20 hours off intensive testing I found the worst thing of this aircraft is that the COG is not correct. It is possible to alter this with repositioning the Pilots. Look at the forum from Just Flight.
That the NAV-Radios in the military version is dead, the fuel tanks are not correct used and autopilot is a joke, I have reported al these things to Just Flight as the seller and they have contacted "Aeroplane Heaven" the developer. In the next "FS-Magazine" (german) is my Review about this aircraft and I hope, that Aeroplane Heaven learnt, that this is Beta. And I am not keen about the monstrous GPS in aircraft, that have never seen it in her useful life, because they where 1990 no longer in use... I have nothing against a hidden GPS... with another switch on the panel... but not like this. With Buffalo Air and Everts Air Cargo it is okay this way, for all the other aircraft not this is my standpoint about the Cockpit of historic aircraft.

I have seen, that the for me very favored "DeHavilland Canada DHC 3 "Otter" is also from them. This in mind, I have not much elan, to test this aircraft after the release.
hasegawa
Sim-holic

Topic author

Postby hasegawa » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:24 am

hasegawa
Sim-holic

Topic author

Return to Aircraft