Maybe the time is right

An area to discuss scenery addons for virtual NZ

Maybe the time is right

Postby toprob » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:52 am

In 2009, I had begun working on NZCH, but that never worked out -- too much stress trying to get access, and by June I was diagnosed with a bad ticker...
Every time I thought about starting on NZCH since, I've had nothing but bad memories, of bad health and bad earthquakes, so it wasn't going to happen. But sometimes the time is right, and this might be that time!
Note that this is not any sort of official announcement, which means it shouldn't turn up as a 'news item' on any other site. So the screenshots stay here, please...
It is a bit strange working on the 'new' Christchurch, I don't know how I'll deal with the unfinished city, it might just be a lot of cranes. One thing I have decided, it will include the complete Cathedral as it was, on the understanding that it will eventually end up repaired.
This will be a 'Real NZ' release, hopefully, so of course it'll include a chunk of photoscenery:

Funny to think that Wigram used to be down there, now bulldozed and turned into a housing development. (Not immediately down there, way off to the left.)
toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Re: Maybe the time is right

Postby cowpatz » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:15 pm

Looking very good as usual Rob.
cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Postby NZ255 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:49 pm

Sweet! Is this a collaboration? Did I read you were working with someone on the airport?

Is the autogen being largely... automated these days? Would save a shed lot of time
NZ255
NZFF Pro

Postby toprob » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:14 pm

I did mention another collaborative project, for Aerofly FS2, but this one is just me. Although it is partly funded under the venerable Windowlight 'queue-jumper' scheme -- that is, initially funded via contract to give it priority, and then released as 'Real NZ'.

The Aerofly project is still moving forward, although the lack of SDK tools means that a lot of the work needs to be done by IPACS -- so there's plenty of waiting going on, as you can imagine, they are quite busy!

You are right about the autogen -- much of it is processed through Scenproc from LINZ data -- the major vegetation areas, for instance, covering native bush, pine plantations etc. Plus there's the building outlines, which cover a lot of the country now (not all) and can be turned into autogen buildings via Scenproc. This morning I also 'planted' over a million trees in shelterbelts, takes about 5 minutes for Scenproc, although hours for me to work out the script:)

But the main focus is always going to be the airport -- I won't go too much into what I'm trying to achieve, but the goal is to make it 'VR-capable', which means that there will be a lot of detail up close. Initially I was expecting to get reasonable access to take photos, but that seems less likely now. So the photography will need to be supplied, generally not the way I work, but I have high expectations!

Plenty of unknowns still, but feel free to ask any questions, except 'when?'

And yeah, I am aiming for a multi-sim version at some stage, a brand-new NZCH would be a great addition to X-plane and FS2!
toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby deeknow » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:33 pm

Yuss !!! Brilliant stuff, well overdue. God-speed :)
deeknow
NZFF Pro

Postby Charl » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:37 am

NZCH: forever home of The Wingman.
VR-capable eh? Tantalising...
I have high expectations!

I read somewhere that ORBX is pushing on with an AFS2 version of PNW, and IPACS is developing in tandem with that effort.
SDK progress is likely to be good I suspect. (Hope?)
Charl
NZFF Pro

Postby MurrayH » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:38 am

Yes - this time is definitely right.
MurrayH

Postby toprob » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:37 pm

Charl wrote:NZCH: forever home of The Wingman.

That's always in the back of my mind, I spend a lot of time imagining the arguments we'd have over how it should be done -- last week I made the decision to remove Wigram from the sim, and I actually had a conversation with Ian in my head:) I'm pretty confident that he would have pushed to have it retained, he hated that housing development.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby Fozzer » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:05 pm

Hello Chums... :D ...!

...maybe to do with "scenery", in a different sort of way....

I have wonderful memories in my head of my English scenery going way back into the 1930's and in the following 1940's and 1950's before the scenery was torn up for major roads, housing developments, city centres, commercial premises, etc!

My various Motorcycle travels now explore those magical places from times long ago, which I fondly remember, but are now lost forever...

...and I am now one of the few left, who still remember it like it used to be, in the; "Olden Days"!

...there's a worrying thought for all we Old Timers!... :( ...!

I quite liked the Olden Days in my motorcycle rides around the countryside!

...lots of tyre punctures due to boot studs and horse hoof nails...and puncture outfits...Wonderful memories.... :bow: ...!

....and now back into the modern world!.... :unsure: ....!

Paul..... Reminiscing!.....(while it's still legal!) .... :lol: ...!
Fozzer

Postby MichaelBasler » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:27 am

Wow, Robin, that's a great project for sure. :) I'll certainly go promoting it when it's done.

Kind regards, Michael
MichaelBasler

Postby ZK-LGD » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:28 pm

Woo Hoo! :clap:
Regards,
Dorian
ZK-LGD
Sim-holic

Return to Scenery