The Windows 7 'Add to scenery library' bug

An area to discuss scenery addons for virtual NZ

Postby toprob » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:09 am

Windows 7 introduced a small bug into the process of adding a scenery folder to the Scenery Library in FSX. I think this also might happen in FS2004, but I'm not able to test it. When you select the scenery folder you wish to add and press 'ok', FSX is meant to add that folder to the Scenery Library and return you to the Scenery Library list, but since Windows 7 it opens the folder instead.

This has cropped up from time to time, so I'll pin the solution here permanently.

You just need to change the process a little when you add a scenery folder with Windows 7. Now, when you select the scenery folder and press 'OK', the scenery folder will open. Just click any BLANK area within the scenery folder (just under the listed 'Scenery' and 'Texture' folders). That's all -- you should return to the Scenery Library with your new scenery folder active at the top of the list.

There's a short video of the process here for those who can't get this to work.

This link doesn't seem to work at the moment -- try here, it should be at the bottom of the page.
Last edited by toprob on Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby deeknow » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:12 pm

Yeah this is SO annoying huh, thought I was going crazy when I rebuilt my machine at xmas and ran into this, thanks for pinning it
Deans repaints: http://www.deeknow.com/
X570 Mini-ITX m/b - Ryzen5 3600 (6c/12t) - RTX 2060-super - 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 - Win10 - P3Dv5
deeknow
NZFF Pro

Postby bjocque » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:33 pm

cheers, makes life a bit easier wink.gif
Image Image
bjocque

Re: The Windows 7 'Add to scenery library' bug

Postby BendyFlyer » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:43 pm

This is an update. There is a neat little utility available out there called Scenery Config Editor version 1.1.1 it does all the entry work for you without glitches outside of FSX and then you save it, when you start FSX it merely updates the scenery indexes quickly. Works a treat highly recommended (Windows FSX scenery bug what bug!)
BendyFlyer

Re: The Windows 7 'Add to scenery library' bug

Postby Charl » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:34 pm

Yup and for FS2004 users, there is Scenery Align which I regard as a necessity.
Remember FS9 requires you to add the scenery, then close the sim and then restart it.
This could take half the day on a sim as bloated as mine.
I suspect it will help for WIN7 too.
Charl
NZFF Pro

Return to Scenery