Finally Took Courage To Jump Into Orbx

An area to discuss scenery addons for virtual NZ

Finally Took Courage To Jump Into Orbx

Postby Aharon » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:44 am

Shalom and greetings all my pals,

Finally took courage to jump for FIRST TIME into exclusive fancy club of Orbx world by installing free full version working demo of entire island of Tasmania and buying/installing two Orbx airport sceneries into my FSX.

Let's see how Orbx products and their ground textures do in my coming screenshots!!!

When I was shopping for Orbx airport sceneries WHILE AVOIDING Orbx base packages, I realized from reading other people's problems with airport elevations of their purchased Orbx airport sceneries without buying necessary base packages, I decided to look for any Orbx airport scenery of an airport that was ON GROUND LEVEL instead of on higher elevation or instead of being surrounded by mountains or rivers or lakes that might have caused any elevation problems.

Therefore, I bought for 50 percent off (lousy 12 bucks each) YMML Melbourne and ESSA Arlanda airport sceneries that were on ground level therefore would not present any elevation problem.

So far, the YMML scenery works well!!! Will install ESSA soon. The island of Tasmania along with freeware Orbx YMLT scenery looks good.

Whew!!!!

If everything works well, I might buy more Orbx airport sceneries on sale in future!

I have decided AGAINST buying Orbx New Zealand base packages for north and south islands because I wanted to support local New Zealand software companies including ToProb's Godzone company offering both payware and freeware sceneries and ground textures.

Regards,

Aharon
Aharon
Sim-holic

Topic author

Re: Finally Took Courage To Jump Into Orbx

Postby chopper_nut » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:44 am

Don't forget that you can support Rob and others by using the photo scenery and airports over the top of ORBX and you still get a pretty good representation for the areas without the photo coverage.
chopper_nut
NZFF Pro

Postby Jeffref » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:25 pm

chopper_nut wrote:Don't forget that you can support Rob and others by using the photo scenery and airports over the top of ORBX and you still get a pretty good representation for the areas without the photo coverage.

If you google Weebly FSX you should see Photoreal Italy
Check out the downloads page and towards the bottom there are about 16 files of NZ photo scenery along with several other countries.
Much better than ORBX NZ which has only a few areas of photo scenery
The problem I found with ORBX was that some files caused major issues with weird effects like blue land and green sea when other scenery was added.
The disadvantage with Weebly is the large file size.
Swings and roundabouts.
Jeffref

Postby Aharon » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:59 pm

chopper_nut wrote:Don't forget that you can support Rob and others by using the photo scenery and airports over the top of ORBX and you still get a pretty good representation for the areas without the photo coverage.

Yep the funny thing is that many photoreal sceneries with airports of New Zealand that I got via payware and freeware from ToProb and others look better and have richer green than Orbx!! Hence good thing I made good decision to avoid base packages and concentrate on Orbx airports :D :D :D

Regards,

Aharon
Aharon
Sim-holic

Topic author

Postby Aharon » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:02 pm

Jeffref wrote:The problem I found with ORBX was that some files caused major issues with weird effects like blue land and green sea when other scenery was added.

Jeffref,

Thank God it did not happen to me although installation of Orbx products did make my payware Godzone NZDN disappear as explained on my post in the Godzone Support subfoum of NZFF forums.

Thanks for tip on Webbly FSX!

Regards,

Aharon
Aharon
Sim-holic

Topic author

Postby Aharon » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:09 pm

Jeffref wrote:If you google Weebly FSX you should see Photoreal ItalyCheck out the downloads page and towards the bottom there are about 16 files of NZ photo scenery along with several other countries.

I checked Weebly FSX and could not find NZ sceneries????
Aharon
Sim-holic

Topic author

Postby toprob » Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:50 pm

Yes, the reality is that most of my customers have Orbx NZ, so it really is the 'base' NZ. I wouldn't like to compete with Orbx, that's for sure, but there's plenty of scope for local airports to work with -- and without -- Orbx.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby Jeffref » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:11 pm

Aharon wrote:
Jeffref wrote:If you google Weebly FSX you should see Photoreal ItalyCheck out the downloads page and towards the bottom there are about 16 files of NZ photo scenery along with several other countries.

I checked Weebly FSX and could not find NZ sceneries????

https://italyphotoreal.weebly.com/download.html

Just above the 7 UK files at the bottom of the page
16 Files Called New Zeland
The UK files are quite good
I have not tried the others for Finland Malta, Canada or Ireland (Irland) as I have other alternatives
The links are to One Drive but I have not downloaded them again.
Good luck
Jeffref

Postby Aharon » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:13 am

Jeffref,

Thanks for link for the same website. I took another hard look and found those download links for NZ but unfortunately, those links end with ru as domain and I tend to avoid any website that ends with ru as domain.

Regards,

Aharon
Aharon
Sim-holic

Topic author

Postby Aharon » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:30 am

toprob wrote:Yes, the reality is that most of my customers have Orbx NZ, so it really is the 'base' NZ. .

That surprises me as Orbx NZ is NOT photoreal ground scenery meaning that Orbx NZ would be less green than custom made NZ photoreal ground sceneries by ToProb and other NZ natives. And all the time I thought Orbx NZ is photoreal ground textures!!!! Oh well

Regards,

Aharon
Aharon
Sim-holic

Topic author

Postby Jeffref » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:16 am

Aharon wrote:Jeffref,

Thanks for link for the same website. I took another hard look and found those download links for NZ but unfortunately, those links end with ru as domain and I tend to avoid any website that ends with ru as domain.

Regards,

Aharon

I understand your reluctance.
I used a really old PC (bought 2001) and did a virus scan afterwards that showed no infection. Then I did a full format of Windows just in case. It is not as good as Rob's Godzone but not bad and covers all of NZ. I am in the process of creating some of my own using FSET at 0.5 M resolution but with no fancy water correction. Fiordland looks great...hint Rob!

If you do not have it already I suggest ORBX Base Global which replaces the standard FSX world textures. Along with Vector which adjusts coastlines and corrects elevations it is the only ORBX I still use.
Jeffref

Postby Aharon » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:53 am

Jeffref wrote:If you do not have it already I suggest ORBX Base Global which replaces the standard FSX world textures. Along with Vector which adjusts coastlines and corrects elevations it is the only ORBX I still use.

Thanks for interesting suggestions! At this moment, I think I better test all purchased and freeware Orbx products first to be sure everything goes well before I start buying more Orbx products.

Meanwhile ORBX ESSA scenery installation is successful and everything works well with that scenery!

I think I am off to my first Orbx flight from ORBX YMML through Orbx Tasmania to YMHB!!

Regards,

Aharon
Aharon
Sim-holic

Topic author

Postby Kelvinr » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:11 pm

[quote="Jeffref"][quote="Aharon"]Jeffref,

Regards,

Aharon[/quote]

I understand your reluctance.
I used a really old PC (bought 2001) and did a virus scan afterwards that showed no infection. Then I did a full format of Windows just in case. It is not as good as Rob's Godzone but not bad and covers all of NZ. I am in the process of creating some of my own using FSET at 0.5 M resolution but with no fancy water correction. Fiordland looks great...hint Rob!

If you do not have it already I suggest ORBX Base Global which replaces the standard FSX world textures. Along with Vector which adjusts coastlines and corrects elevations it is the only ORBX I still use.[/quote]

"I am in the process of creating some of my own using FSET at 0.5 M resolution but with no fancy water correction. Fiordland looks great...hint Rob!"

...I have a tool I coded specifically for FSET and it processes automatically rather than the manual method I couldn't bear to go through. It processes the Areaearthinf.txt files and uses the source bmp images for the resample tool to create water and blend masks, it's in pre-beta or I guess some form of beta stage at the moment. Not sure what I'll do with it yet, might go freeware eventually or might so some paid areas but all depends on the market.

Check some of my work out here: https://imgur.com/a/Hr5keIP
Kelvinr
Sim-holic

Postby Jeffref » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:23 pm

Hi Kelvin
I did try your tool but after I dropped my files into the same ones where you had your examples, nothing happened.
I thought possibly that it required something that I did not have on my PC.
I may try again later but I am now hitting space problems on my hard drive again.
Jeffref

Return to Scenery