Let's talk about NZ in Aerofly FS2...

An area to discuss scenery addons for virtual NZ

Let's talk about NZ in Aerofly FS2...

Postby toprob » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:03 pm

This is just musing at the moment, but I do have some ideas on how this could work, with a lot of help. It's a bit of a confusing jumble in my head at the moment, but I'll try and make sense of it. At the moment I'm committed to the 'multi-sim' project which began with the Kickstarter funding, and FS2 is certainly the top contender as far as I'm concerned. I originally said I'd work towards a complete NZ photoscenery base, and I had begun this, with a bit of help, including IPACS themselves. However I did tell IPACS that if there was any sign of Orbx working in NZ, I'd drop out, as I'm too... well, one person... to compete with that. Now, Orbx have kind of announced a True Earth NZ, so I've basically dropped that idea.

Still, there's still plenty I could be doing, and I do plan to work on NZCH for Aerofly in the short term. At the moment, this would probably include the same area of photoscenery which the Prepar3d version has -- a slice of central Canty, bordered by the Ashley and the Rakaia rivers, through to the foothills. That's assuming that Orbx don't rush into NZ, otherwise it'll just be NZCH.

SO...
there's no reason why a group of people couldn't work on some Aerofly projects, separate from Godzone/Real NZ, but with me contributing. I'm not talking about making any/much money from this, more of a freeware venture, but there's no reason why anyone couldn't work on some payware stuff either.
My initial idea at the moment is Wellington. I've already used this area as a kind of 'test' area, although much of what I've done I hope to redo taking into account what I've learnt from my mistakes. This may or may not include NZWN, there's no reason why it shouldn't, depending on the commitment from the 'team'. Otherwise I'd be keen to do a payware NZWN if necessary. Those who want to get involved might have their own ideas of which area to do, and to what extent, hence this thread to get some ideas.
This idea kind of crystalized this week after Charl's iron-clad promise of a contribution (subject to one infinitesimal condition:) and it suddenly struck me that I could at least share some of my 'test' projects, to get the ball rolling. So I'd already decided to offer Charl a look at Wellington, anyway, so it makes sense to bring this whole thing up for discussion.
I have previously shared the scenery with a couple of developers who were keen to help, but have since dropped out. If anyone is interested, let me know. I have been planning on redoing the Wellington photoscenery, but at the moment I'm a bit busy, so it may be the test version only in the meantime.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Re: Let's talk about NZ in Aerofly FS2...

Postby MichaelBasler » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:51 am

toprob wrote: Now, Orbx have kind of announced a True Earth NZ, so I've basically dropped that idea.

Rob, do you have a quote for this? While I follow the ORBX forums I must have missed it.

In one way this would be a fine playground for you to implement your airports, or perhaps even city scapes. I would buy a new version of your now obsolete Supercity Auckland immediately.

Kind regards, Michael
MichaelBasler

Postby toprob » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:43 am

Here's John's post on the Orbx forum.

Auckland has always been in the back of my mind, but there have been a couple of developers who have mentioned to me that they are working on a photoscenery. Time does seem to be getting on, though, and I don't know if any progress has been made. Back in the Supercity days, the aerial imagery we had available was 2.4 m/px, which was not great -- the default FSX was 1.2m/px, so going to photoscenery actually lowered the resolution. These days, we have imagery up to 7cm/px, and a lot better quality than the old days, without cloud cover etc. So Auckland would be one great project!

By the way, I am hoping to have a Aerofly FS2 'test' Coromandel (imagery, mesh, some cultivation) ready shortly, if anyone is interested in trying this out, let me know.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby MichaelBasler » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:00 am

toprob wrote:Here's John's post on the Orbx forum.

Auckland has always been in the back of my mind, but there have been a couple of developers who have mentioned to me that they are working on a photoscenery. Time does seem to be getting on, though, and I don't know if any progress has been made. Back in the Supercity days, the aerial imagery we had available was 2.4 m/px, which was not great -- the default FSX was 1.2m/px, so going to photoscenery actually lowered the resolution. These days, we have imagery up to 7cm/px, and a lot better quality than the old days, without cloud cover etc. So Auckland would be one great project!

By the way, I am hoping to have a Aerofly FS2 'test' Coromandel (imagery, mesh, some cultivation) ready shortly, if anyone is interested in trying this out, let me know.

Thanks a lot, I missed the little note indeed. I would take it with a grain of salt, though, as JV quite often changes its mind, even with projects much further into development.

While Supercity Auckland was gread I agree the clubfoot was ground imagery resolution, even at its time.

I have a working AeroflyFS2 Installation so I could try Coromandel. I am not familiar with RW Coromandel, so I could only test if it works technically and if I find glitches, though.

Kind regards, Michael
MichaelBasler

Postby toprob » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:22 am

MichaelBasler wrote:I would take it with a grain of salt, though, as JV quite often changes its mind, even with projects much further into development.

Cheers, Michael. The trouble is I can't take the risk, I wouldn't attempt to compete with Orbx. If there's even a small chance of a TrueEarth NZ, I'd rather put my time into other things.
The Coromandel scenery isn't really a current project, it is just an early experiment, which could just as easily be shared with those who are keen to see at least some NZ scenery in Aerofly. It does have its faults, the imagery is simply the stuff I colour-corrected for Prepar3d, but it should have really been re-colour-corrected for Aerofly. That's one reason why I've changed my mind about offering Wellington first, the Coromandel is a bit less funny-coloured...
toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Return to Scenery