New Zealand scenery Other sims

An area to discuss scenery addons for virtual NZ

New Zealand scenery Other sims

Postby buzzard2008 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:46 am

Heya guys Ive noticed that the subject of NZ scenery for other sims has gone rather quite here and on other forums, is there still something happening in the background or has progress come to a screaming halt ? I fly Xplane by the
way :)
buzzard2008

Topic author

Re: New Zealand scenery Other sims

Postby toprob » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:54 am

Here's my last Kickstarter update, with what I'm up to at the moment. Hopefully this is easily accessible, the Kickstarter website is sometimes slow...

Things are happening here, but it will be quiet for a long time -- all my plans involve major projects, which can take up to a year, rather than smaller releases. Which is why I'd be keen to see someone make some small starts on airports etc, along the lines of what Laurie did for FSX. At least then we'd have some visible progress... I'm mainly talking X-plane here, Aerofly FS2 really needs to wait for a 'base' NZ, although Flightsim World could probably benefit from a few local airports as well.

I haven't really done an official announcement of NZCH yet, but it hasn't been a secret either. I've made too many announcements of projects which didn't eventuate to jump in too quick now:)

X-plane is a real unknown for me still, I mean as far as whether or not there's a market for NZ scenery. The X-plane community is very much like the early FS2000/2/4 times -- certainly not encouraging for a payware developer. Frankly, I just don't fancy dealing with that again:) If I get NZCH to the point where it works as I hope in X-plane, then I can judge whether it is worth including X-plane in future projects.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby buzzard2008 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:37 pm

Thanks heaps for the update Robin, I have Aerofly fs2 also. Please understand I am not having a moan at all here I just love your work and would love to see some of it in other sims :) Im hoping I dont have to purchase p3dv4 to enjoy it thats all :) I just cant go back to fsx, not after experiencing Xplane 11 and Aerofly fs2, they really are miles ahead of it now, I think we can pretty much say goodbye to 32bit now :)
buzzard2008

Topic author

Postby toprob » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:28 pm

buzzard2008 wrote:... I just cant go back to fsx, not after experiencing Xplane 11 and Aerofly fs2, they really are miles ahead of it now, I think we can pretty much say goodbye to 32bit now :)

I did trim my initial reply above, as I do tend to waffle on -- but at some point I'm sure I typed "Prepar3d(/FSX?)". This is my way of giving fair warning that I won't be supporting FSX forever:)
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby Ratbo » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:12 pm

Hi Robin,

CHCH will be a good test for us X-Plane users on what support you will get - I was happy to contribute to your kickstarter even if nothing was made for X-Plane (my only Sim) because it's great to see high quality NZ scenery being produced. I've tried converting a few of the freeware FSX NZ sceneries with reasonable results that give me the real terminal and hangar buildings (I hate generic buildings when I land at an airport) but I'm not very talented so they don't have the same polish as the originals. If Nelson and Dunedin were converted I know they would be instant purchases for me.

The OrbX CEO also mentioned on their forums that the first airport + cityscape they released for X-Plane had similar or may even have exceeded the sales from the other platforms so that is a positive sign that quality airports are in demand for X-Plane.

Regards
Ratbo

Return to Scenery