Autogen tool

An area to discuss scenery addons for virtual NZ

Autogen tool

Postby Barrington » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:51 pm

:o Can anyone shed any light on an application called Scenery Design.org???
I seem to have picked it from somewhere, installed it and cant get rid of it.
When you start either FSX or P3Dv4 it shows a dialog box called 'Autegen Configurator Merger' and one then has to restart either sim again for it to take some effect - otherwise some of your
Autogen files may affect the running of the Sim.
have tried a number of time - removed the file from the directory when located through roaming but it still does it
IWould really apreciate some feedback on this and possibly how to get rid of it!!!!! :unsure:
Barrington
Forum Addict

Topic author

Re: Autogen tool

Postby toprob » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:43 am

The Autogen Configuration Merger tool is required for all current and future Real NZ/Godzone releases, and it is installed by the VLC Libraries installer. You may have installed it with Real NZ Dunedin or the new Nelson for P3Dv4. Other developers make use of it as well. I use it because Orbx, via FTX Central mainly, simply resets the autogen configuration descriptions every time it is run, with no regard to any other developer's descriptions. So basically it tried to disable my scenery whenever you run FTX Central.

The tool puts my descriptions back. Some people may never see the message when their sim starts, while those who run FTX Central a lot will see it a lot. If you see it every time, then there may be a problem with it -- sorry about that. Hopefully easily fixed, if you wish, just let me know if you want to try. The version included with the VLC Libraries is a beta, but there is a 'final' version available now. I don't know if it would fix this, but worth a try. It would also be interesting to know if the tool actually works, even if it runs every time....

The tool is run via the exe.xml file for your simulator, so you could delete the entry there to stop it running. However this may remove autogen vegetation from scenery which uses it! For Godzone, this may be about 60% of the trees missing.

The tool is a bit of a nuisance, as it runs via exe.xml, so when the simulator runs, it has already read the autogen descriptions and the new edits won't appear until you restart the sim. Hence the warning that you'd need to restart the sim to see the new autogen. I get around this by running FTX Central via a batch file which calls the tool when FTX Central closes. Note that FTX Central resets the autogen even if you simply LOOK at it, you don't need to make any changes...
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby Barrington » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:25 pm

Hi Rob,
Many thanks for the explanation.
I would like to try the final version so would I get it from the 'Godzone' website?
Once installed, i will report back to you on the results
Cheers
Barrington
Forum Addict

Topic author

Postby toprob » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:24 pm

I haven't had a chance to look at integrating the final version, so it isn't on my site. There is some things to sort out first, especially for those who installed the beta for P3Dv4 -- the final version shifts the tool to add-on.xml, so I'm not sure if you can simply replace it, as the current version uses exe.xml. Let me think about it for a while...
toprob
NZFF Pro

Return to Scenery