Auckland and Christchurch?

An area to discuss scenery addons for virtual NZ

Auckland and Christchurch?

Postby hasegawa » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:42 am

Seen from us in Europe these are the most popular airports in New Zealand. But... in FSX I see nothing in Free- and Payware?
What have You in use for these two airports?
Onlinehasegawa
Sim-holic

Topic author

Re: Auckland and Christchurch?

Postby MichaelBasler » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:40 am

I use ORBX NZNI/SI which has enhanced airports (even smaller ones). Auckland is done pretty well, as far as I can judge, but of course not comparable to the leading Payware designers. Christchurch works and is enhanced as well, but not on par with NZAA.

FlightBeam has been working on NZAA for quite some time now (> 1 year). This will certainly be nothing short of excellent, but don't ask me for a release date.

If I am not mistaken, NZCH is on the list of Godzone, which will certainly be a great product as well, but I am afraid we'll have to wait even longer for this one.

I think there has been some freeware available for NZCH, at least in FSX, but I use Prepar3d4 now and I am pretty sure there's plainly nothing available for me so far.

Kind regards, Michael
MichaelBasler

Postby toprob » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:18 am

Yes, Michael pretty much sums it up.
FSX Deluxe came with NZAA as one of the 45 worldwide 'high detail' airports, which was ok, unless you knew the real airport. I don't think many still use this.
Christchurch was always the domain of Ian Warren, who produced his first version for FS2000. That was the first time I saw what could be accomplished with custom airports, and got me started in sim development. I always encouraged -- pushed, cajoled, nagged -- Ian to redo it for FSX, but it never came about.
In 2009 I had been trying to get access to NZAA, without success, so I decided to look at NZCH instead. It was in the middle of a major upgrade at the time. Access there too was difficult, and with winter coming up I can remember walking outside the boundary fence, taking photos of what I could see through the fences. The aero club was a big help, and things were starting to come together, then I was diagnosed with a heart condition, so I gave up anything stressful for a while:)
However I have recently been contracted to complete a project which includes NZCH, which will happen quite quickly, although the contract doesn't cover getting it to a 'Real New Zealand' standard. The plan is to then bring it to Real NZ standard and release it via my store. This would be part of the 'multi-sim' project funded via Kickstarter, so I aim to release it for at least one other simulator, maybe more. There's a lot of work to do before that will happen, though.
The contract is for a Prepar3d v3 version, otherwise I was considering that the next major project may be x64 only... Prepar3d v4 plus X-plane and/or Aerofly FS2. In case you haven't heard, the future is 64 bits!
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby dbcunnz » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:46 pm

I have been working on photo scenery covering large areas of NZ.
The West Coast and North Otago have been finished although these are photo real they do not have a custom made airports although Oamaru has an airport afcad.

Other work that has been done with the late Ian Warren is Christchurch City and the area north to Leithfield Beach, Wanganui city and Waiouru.

Work in progress Canterbury from Prebbleton south to Pareora just below Timaru and inland to Fairly in the south and Pudding hill in the north, this scenery is in the final stages of finishing the AGN and should be available in a couple of months.

Also started is South Canterbury which will join the Canterbury project with North Otago although this has a lot of agn done it still needs quite a bit more to finish it off.

North Island scenery started is Manawatu covering from Palmerston North to join up with Wanganui city this also has a lot of agn done but still needs quite a bit more finish it off.

With our main agn man gone (Ian Warren may he RIP) we don't have anyone other than Rob, Mike (creator 2003) and myself doing all the slow and time consuming agn work.

Mike is very slowly working on Auckland City which has been set back quite a bit by the lose of our main agn man.
dbcunnz
NZFF Pro

Postby hasegawa » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:52 pm

With a deep heart I heard with this post, that Ian Warren is gone from us. I was a long time not in this forum.... to long. His inspirations about flying in NZ is not forgotten. I owe him much.

O.k. I see the Status and hope, that flying in NZ is not all over. I see, that You work and I guess your work since many years. After the first tests with Aerofly 2 I see the potential flying VFR in NZ with this. NZ has all the potential to give the Flyers the feeling of flying VFR back to us. Yes Aerofly is far away fom beeing ready, but it is for my intentions of flying in Landscape is better than X-Plane... But I dislike the aircraft from Aerofly 2 at the moment. And I miss a Helicopter very badly...

But, let us see, whats comming next. I have the O.K. from the editor in chief to review NZ-scenerys for Aerofly 2 for the german speaking FS-Magazin.
Onlinehasegawa
Sim-holic

Topic author

Postby MichaelBasler » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:46 am

hasegawa wrote:I have the O.K. from the editor in chief to review NZ-scenerys for Aerofly 2 for the german speaking FS-Magazin.

NZ for AeroflyFS2? Never heard about it. Who made it? Payware or Freeware? Doesn't matter I'd buy it anyway :D

Kind regards, Michael
MichaelBasler

Postby hasegawa » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:59 am

It is in the works

http://nzff.org/viewtopic.php?p=8386151 ... 62c1ca8d88

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27423&p=8396279&hilit=Aerofly#p8396279

And we looking forward and have a lot of time. But, I have told about with Mr. Groner last week.
Onlinehasegawa
Sim-holic

Topic author

Postby MichaelBasler » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:12 am

hasegawa wrote:It is in the works

This is the key, thanks. Much looking forward, AeroflyFS2 is a great sim. BTW, it will go out of Eearly Access and be available on DVD as well soon. IPACS also released an airport development SDK a few days ago.

Kind reagrds, Michael
MichaelBasler

Postby hasegawa » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:27 pm

O.k. now I know, what to do and to have a bit patience... Thanks for the informations. Now, in Latvia the winter is not far away and in Germany was the first big storm this year...
The "virtual FBO" is as ever in winter in the Pacific Region with NZ at one of the main entries. A little bit dreaming... i dislike snow and winter.
Onlinehasegawa
Sim-holic

Topic author

Return to Scenery