P3D

A forum specifically to discuss the latest and greatest of all flight simulators

P3D

Postby tanken2 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:05 pm

is P3D worth the extra cost , I have FSX with orbx North and South Islands . would P3D and the same orbx setup be that much better ?
tanken2

Topic author

Re: P3D

Postby jpreou » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:10 am

Many people have jumped to P3D and never looked back.

I think whether it is 'better' will depend on your system, your settings, your add-ins, type of flying you do and your expectations ... but as a general sweeping statement, 'Yes', I think most people would agree they feel P3D is 'better'.

Having said that, there is a huge amount of change coming in the flight sim arena over the next 12 months with some major titles ramping up from scratch, or with significant updates so while I'm never really one to say wait and see (because there is *always* something coming) ... in this particular instance, you might want to. Of course, if you have an older system that might need replacing to run a new not-yet-released modern sim, gaze into your crystal ball and see whether that is a factor in your decision making process.

No-one. And I mean *no-one* can really advise you whether to change because, as stated above, it will depend on your system, your settings, your expectations, add-ons, type of flying you do, etc, etc. There is only one person can make that call ... you.
Lockheed Martin do provide a refund policy though, so you can always try it and then return it if it isn't everything you expected.
-- Jeff, Rolleston, NZ
P3Dv4.x and a bunch of add-on stuff... some 'global' products, but otherwise NZ-only
jpreou
Forum Addict

Postby Ian Warren » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:48 am

tanken2 wrote:is P3D worth the extra cost , I have FSX with orbx North and South Islands . would P3D and the same orbx setup be that much better ?

From the very start, the performance will pleased you, course shadow affects and cloud straight outta the box so to speak.
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby toprob » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:39 am

The only thing I'd point out is that it is likely that we'll see version 4 this year -- so you'll need to buy it all over again or stick with v3. So if you have working FSX, it might be better to wait for v4, it shouldn't be too long.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby FunkymonkeyNZ » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:45 pm

Geee Wizzz I haven't commented here in years!

But the release of the Queen has bought me out of retirement :P
In answer to your Question. Yes P3D is hands down far better than what experience ive ever had with FSX. Yes it can be a costly move, especially if you require to re purchase some of your addons again (grumble grumble :mad: looking at you PMDG)
But still your simming experience will be that much more immersive due to the fact the Lockheed have taken advantage of newer tech and everything is very smooth and fluid. Whether you wait for v4 or purchase v3.4 currently thats entirely up to you chap ^_^
FunkymonkeyNZ
Forum Addict

Postby Ian Warren » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:59 pm

Gidday Chris , that is hurt part , all those addons, on the norm years ago I was in , back then I had a real job only very fortunate that two NZFF Amigo's brought me up to speed , Greg and Marty , from what I have seen , the change darn right incredible, easy doubles frame rates , I was very surprised .
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Return to All Flight Simulators