DirectX 11 GPU plus Prepar3D

A forum specifically to discuss the latest and greatest of all flight simulators

Postby toprob » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:58 pm

Since Prepar3D v2 requires DirectX 11 to run at all, this could be the main limiting factor when looking at P3D.
This poll is really just to figure out what percentage of members actually have a Graphics card (GPU) which supports DirectX 11, but it does go a bit further.
I had hoped to include a chart of DX11-capable GPUs, for those who don't know what they have, but since I couldn't find a nice chart which covers both Nvidia and ATI/AMD, if you don't know, just ask here and no doubt someone will help you.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby Ian Warren » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:18 pm

Good two year old card will give you the info , I recall the old GXT295 was DX11 - the first of the type with the option , below the the specs for the GTX480 .

GPU Engine Specs:
CUDA Cores 448
Graphics Clock (MHz) 607 MHz
Processor Clock (MHz) 1215 MHz
Texture Fill Rate (billion/sec) 34.0
Memory Specs:
Memory Clock (MHz) 1674
Standard Memory Config 1280 MB DDR3/GDDR5
Memory Interface Width 320-bit
Memory Bandwidth (GB/sec) 133.9
Feature Support:
NVIDIA SLI®-ready* 2-way/3-Way
NVIDIA 3D Vision Ready yes
NVIDIA 3D Vision Surround Ready*** yes
NVIDIA PureVideo® Technology** HD
NVIDIA PhysXâ„¢-ready yes
NVIDIA CUDAâ„¢ Technology yes
Microsoft DirectX 11
OpenGL 3.2
Bus Support PCI-E 2.0 x 16
Certified for Windows 7 yes
Display Support:
Maximum Digital Resolution 2560x1600
Maximum VGA Resolution 2048x1536
Standard Display Connectors Two Dual Link DVI
Mini HDMI
Multi Monitor yes
HDCP yes
HDMI* yes
Audio Input for HDMI Internal
Standard Graphics Card Dimensions:
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby Charl » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:57 pm

I voted, but actually my vote should be discounted because I am not in that market at all.
My GTS250 I think does not even do DX10, but I went and looked, and found by gum it does 3D, just requires glasses!
Take that, P3D.
Charl
NZFF Pro

Postby Mynameisnemo » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:54 am

As far as I know the Asus GT640 2GB is a DirectX 11 card, not really in a position to try Prepar3D though at the moment but maybe once I've upgraded the motherboard/processor/ram I'll give it a go!
Dell Hell Optiplex 390, Intel I3-2100 Dual Core Processor, 8GB DDR3, 2x 2TB WD Hard drives, 1x 1TB Seagate Hard Drive, 1x 500GB Seagate Hard Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 4GB Ti SC Graphics Card, 650w Corsair PSU.
Mynameisnemo
Forum Addict

Postby toprob » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:02 am

Charl wrote:
QUOTE (Charl @ Dec 10 2013,8:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I voted, but actually my vote should be discounted because I am not in that market at all.
My GTS250 I think does not even do DX10, but I went and looked, and found by gum it does 3D, just requires glasses!
Take that, P3D.

...which makes your vote just as valuable, it isn't much use knowing how many are using or looking at P3D unless we know how many are not interested. The trouble is it is tricky to get people to vote if they are not interested in the subject. I wouldn't expect a meaningful result from a handful of votes, so everyone really needs to vote, even if they are perfectly happy with their current sim, no matter how ancient...
toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby Ian Warren » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:53 am

I'm open to all new Simulator and just recent old due the amount of people still contact with FS9/2004 issue , gawd struggle trying to repeat some of your screens Charl on machine that was new four years back , DX9/DX10 , add the Win7 try and take a screenie using the snippet tool it creates 'Jiggy Jaggys' ... I have Xplane installed now .. that requires a few months sorting out the assignments and control .. SOooo Alien to me , Ill wait till i start bringing in an incoming .... THEN WATCH OUT ! .... I may need a bigger place as well laugh.gif

I no i have plenty of room on the PC to put P3D on so may make that my Chrissy prezz to show what this system can do with it .
Last edited by Ian Warren on Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby ASHLEE » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:38 pm

toprob wrote:
QUOTE (toprob @ Dec 13 2013,11:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...which makes your vote just as valuable, it isn't much use knowing how many are using or looking at P3D unless we know how many are not interested. The trouble is it is tricky to get people to vote if they are not interested in the subject. I wouldn't expect a meaningful result from a handful of votes, so everyone really needs to vote, even if they are perfectly happy with their current sim, no matter how ancient...

Finally i am going to have to say goodbye to FSX after many (5)months of trying to find the reason why my stabble FSX on Vista32 has been corrupted. i have resorted to trying to install FSX on a new drive with Win7 64bit and all the web tricks to get it to run, but to no avail getting crashes at all the different stages of install from basic install to progressing to SP1 and SP2 with no addons. Have now given up and as i have two Saphire Hd 6970 DX11 2g Cards in SLI mode running in a dual boot dual core system. Now my only hope to further my in flight training is to try Prepar3D v2 and go for the professional package. Boy! i hope it works and that i can get all my VLC data linked in and i can continue with my mountain flight training in the beautiful SI. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Ashlee
ASHLEE

Postby toprob » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:18 pm

After a week it is still too tricky to figure out the results here -- I've decided to use the 'John Key' method of reading poll results, as this way makes the most sense to me. The JK method involves assuming that those who didn't vote are not at all interested in the question, and therefore support the status quo. Take the recent referendum, for example. 67.2% of respondents did not support the Government selling up to 49% of the listed assets. 43.9 percent of eligible voters actually voted. Therefore 67.2% X 43.9% = 29.5% voted against the asset sales, which means that 70.5% of voters support the government. Fair enough.

For this poll, we'll assume at least 500 members still active, 12 are interested in P3D, so about 482 support the status quo. That takes some of the pressure off developers who need to decide whether to support P3D. I'll leave the poll open for the moment, so please answer the question even if you have no interest in P3D.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby Ian Warren » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:48 pm

Maybe best to hand out cups of tea and see if ya can get Banks .Com affair going unsure.gif
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby dbcunnz » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:07 pm

Ian Warren wrote:
QUOTE (Ian Warren @ Dec 18 2013,2:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe best to hand out cups of tea and see if ya can get Banks .Com affair going unsure.gif

And some Peter Done leaky biscuits clapping.gif
OnlineUser avatar
dbcunnz
NZFF Pro

Postby Ian Warren » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:24 pm

Better still .. idea.gif what about getting the other JK to buy the active members a copy of P3D .. seems to thro a lot to a fooseball player.
Last edited by Ian Warren on Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Return to All Flight Simulators