AFS2 update for non-Steam folk

A single forum dedicated to all other non Microsoft flight simulation games

AFS2 update for non-Steam folk

Postby emfrat » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:16 pm

I installed it yesty, big download but all OK. Various issues, but these were predicted, because some changes to the file structures have been made, to enable faster scenery loading, and options for aircraft status. So I will be typing my fingers to the elbow over the weekend so that my friends who have been beta-testing my NZ scenery won't have to. I just installed a 2TB SSD to put the User/Documents/ side of AFS2 on.
Changes affect 3rd party aircraft and liveries, but the 'official' AFS2 aircraft are modified by the updater, so you can copy the necessary options.tmc from (say) the new EC135 to each of your 3rd party planes and individual liveries, and edit the basic files for the other aircraft. You just copy/paste what was in the Description field in the old repaint.tmr file - usually the registration
Scenery-wise, there are changes to the file structure - instead of a places folder, there is an airports one, and a new naming standard for add-on airfields. Fortunately it is easy to see what the installer has changed, because it only affects the default IPACS stuff in C:\Program Files\AFS2 and does not change things in the User/Documents/ tree.

It's getting better all the time :thumbup:
Mike
Last edited by emfrat on Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeW
'Propliner' is actually short for 'Proper airliner, with big rumbly radials'

OnlineUser avatar
emfrat
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Re: AFS2 update for non-Steam folk

Postby Charl » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:22 pm

Yes! I fired up AFS2 the other day, but got distracted.
But Steam must've updated at some point: there's a new helicopter in the aircraft selection area... means a wonderful weekend lies ahead!
It's very painless I must say, and probably the way I'll do MSFS too.
Charl
NZFF Pro

Re: AFS2 update for non-Steam folk

Postby emfrat » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:37 pm

Yes Charl - as usual, since it is a major update, IPACS first put it out on Steam. Steam installs are essentially standardised, which makes troubleshooting much easier. So the Steam folk get to do all the pre-release testing, and us DVD folk get a fully-sorted upgrade. I don't mind the wait. :D
You will probably find your add-on aircraft will only give you the default livery, regardless of which one you choose. That is why you might need to add a suitable options.tmc to the third party planes.
ATB, Mike
MikeW
'Propliner' is actually short for 'Proper airliner, with big rumbly radials'

OnlineUser avatar
emfrat
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Return to Other Flight Simulator Games