DCS Madness

A single forum dedicated to all other non Microsoft flight simulation games

Re: DCS Madness

Postby Dinga » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:16 pm

Nothing official yet ,just a bit of speculation about how they may announce it for pre purchase after the Viggen prepurchase has ended. :ye:
Dinga
Forum Addict

Postby Ian Warren » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:23 pm

The Viggen is a remarkable aircraft, the Swedes really did a fantastic job on that one. B-)
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby Dinga » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:19 am

Ian Warren wrote:The Viggen is a remarkable aircraft, the Swedes really did a fantastic job on that one. B-)

yes sure they did Ian

Has any of you crack fighter pilots thought about getting the saab AJS37 Viggen ? I have to say I am not that keen on it really. I mean it looks different, maybe you could say it is a good looking jet.It's a bit limited, as not many airforces used it, did they? None, just Sweden. Never going to see the real thing either ,are we?. I think the only people getting excited about this are the Swedes and who can blame them for that eh. I don't think it's much of a dog fighter either. More of a strike aircraft, which is not my area of interest. Its cool to go an attack a few ships now an again ,although its not the sort of thing you want to do over an over because it gets boring after awhile. In fact even firing missiles and hitting other aircraft is the same. No real skill in that ,not like a good deflection shot , but you can still do gunnery of course, so there is that. Anyway just one mans opinion. Feel free to shoot me down in flames if you disagree.
Dinga
Forum Addict

Postby Ian Warren » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:26 pm

The AJ-37 and JA-37 SF, SH and SK all powered by a Volvo RM8 afterburning turbofan, basically was a modified American JT8D (a 737 engine), they tried to sell the Viggen to five countries but were not allowed to sell the aircraft with the modified engine, five countries being Austria Belgium Denmark Holland and Norway, politics of the NATO ties and with the incoming F-16, also tried to sell to India but with that country having close tie's to Russia and the Cold War in the 1970 and 80s, It was a remarkable aircraft, specifically for the Swedish conscripts able to work on the without intensive training in the field , the aircraft was the first multi-role super short field operations and excellent handle at low and high alt.
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby Dinga » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:48 pm

Ian Warren wrote:The AJ-37 and JA-37 SF, SH and SK all powered by a Volvo RM8 afterburning turbofan, basically was a modified American JT8D (a 737 engine), they tried to sell the Viggen to five countries but were not allowed to sell the aircraft with the modified engine, five countries being Austria Belgium Denmark Holland and Norway, politics of the NATO ties and with the incoming F-16, also tried to sell to India but with that country having close tie's to Russia and the Cold War in the 1970 and 80s, It was a remarkable aircraft, specifically for the Swedish conscripts able to work on the without intensive training in the field , the aircraft was the first multi-role super short field operations and excellent handle at low and high alt.

That raises a point about SAAb's sales strategy, using an existing 737 engine, modifying it and then not really doing their homework properly regarding the on sale to other Nato countries, although obviously the F16 and Nato deal was out of their control . Still no question a proven aircraft that would probably have done those other countries great service. Congradulations to SAAb for having the tech savvy to build a first class aircraft for their country. When my bonus points build to 60 % and our dollar is worth 1 dollar U.S., then I will be happy to buy it. I think the last time our dollar was actually worth more than there's was back in the 70's.Not expecting that to happen any time soon. :radar:
Dinga
Forum Addict

Postby Ian Warren » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:44 am

The Viggen was a very old aircraft, original sketch's start in the early 1950s with the idea but it was until May 1958 that work and real planing started with the first mock-up in 1960/61, first flight was held up due to engine choice, the serverly modified US engine with AB , they admit the head to head with other type is only speculation but in 1974 to 76 there was no western aircraft that could compete with it STOL and all round use, far as sale were concerned many of the NATO nations were happy with the F-104 , add the debut of the F-16 at Paris Airshow in 1974 bringing in the next generation more sealed the fate of the Viggen sales.
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby Dinga » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:33 pm

So thanks for the technical and history details Ian,very interesting, however you neglected to mention if you were going to purchase this module as they like to call them over at ED.I bet Leatherneck are getting plenty of Kronas in there coffers.Tack så mycket :cheers:
Dinga
Forum Addict

Postby Ian Warren » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:03 pm

I would like to get it, but until I die and start then earning big 'Ghost Dollars' with my artwork, I buy it then ...... maybe they would have a Swedish Scenery by then too B-)

The Viggen is one good looking machine, I do have two books on the type and have an early 1960's magazine .. have to check the date about its development, because the Swedish Conscript's get 11 months training they made the it the AJ/JA 37s this first module part replacement aircraft , ahead of its time, out in the field the ground crew only have to pull the bung part out and put a new one in so it the 200 plus aircraft in operation .
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby Splitpin » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:05 pm

I've purchased it ... but cant use it at the moment .... I guess until the real release date.
It's one aircraft that has always really interested me .... those canards , reverse thrust .... interesting.
Splitpin
NZFF Pro

Postby Dinga » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:34 pm

No that does not seem right ..The pre purchase is over last week.Your jocking eh Splitpin :D
Dinga
Forum Addict

Postby Splitpin » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:42 pm

:( No Im not Dinga ... paid , purchase confirmed (as in money out of my account)
When I look at my purchase history its there ...with a serial number , but it wont show up in my module manager , so I just assumed it was a pre-purchase thing.
I haven't contacted them .... but I will now .
First time it's happened to me with this sim .
Splitpin
NZFF Pro

Postby Splitpin » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:54 pm

And I updated to the latest version ... it has been a bad sim week for me.
Splitpin
NZFF Pro

Postby Ian Warren » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:49 pm

Pre payed, sometimes you ask what is the point, did you get the SAAB ? pre-payed should also been cheaper as well !
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby Dinga » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:14 pm

Splitpin wrote::( No Im not Dinga ... paid , purchase confirmed (as in money out of my account)
When I look at my purchase history its there ...with a serial number , but it wont show up in my module manager , so I just assumed it was a pre-purchase thing.
I haven't contacted them .... but I will now .
First time it's happened to me with this sim .

Well I can only commiserate with you on bad sim week. Hope things improve. All I know about this is you have to have the latest 1.5.6 patch and you should be good to launch.That is okay for me because I like to live on the edge :huh: I can see why some would not be happy with this solution, basically its a testing phase and you have to put up with all the bugs that can crop up from update to update, except in your case you have no choice but to accept the deal.
Dinga
Forum Addict

Postby Splitpin » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:49 pm

Ive heard back from DCS ... Seems i dont have the version installed that will allow the Viggen to work .
Im not home tonight , so i cant check it out. Evidently I need "dcs world open beta" ... which i thought i had ... but lets see.
I must admit , the reply was very fast .
Splitpin
NZFF Pro

Postby Ian Warren » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:12 pm

I'm sure you will be fine Marty, DCS surely would not let a dedicated follower down.
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby SUBS17 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:06 am

Splitpin wrote:Ive heard back from DCS ... Seems i dont have the version installed that will allow the Viggen to work .
Im not home tonight , so i cant check it out. Evidently I need "dcs world open beta" ... which i thought i had ... but lets see.
I must admit , the reply was very fast .

You can get open beta from here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/ ... ads/world/

Its quite good I rarely come across any problems but when I do I always mention on the bugs forum that it can be fixed. Its free BTW. :wink2:
SUBS17

Topic author

Postby SUBS17 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:02 am

Dinga wrote:
Ian Warren wrote:The Viggen is a remarkable aircraft, the Swedes really did a fantastic job on that one. B-)

yes sure they did Ian

Has any of you crack fighter pilots thought about getting the saab AJS37 Viggen ? I have to say I am not that keen on it really. I mean it looks different, maybe you could say it is a good looking jet.It's a bit limited, as not many airforces used it, did they? None, just Sweden. Never going to see the real thing either ,are we?. I think the only people getting excited about this are the Swedes and who can blame them for that eh. I don't think it's much of a dog fighter either. More of a strike aircraft, which is not my area of interest. Its cool to go an attack a few ships now an again ,although its not the sort of thing you want to do over an over because it gets boring after awhile. In fact even firing missiles and hitting other aircraft is the same. No real skill in that ,not like a good deflection shot , but you can still do gunnery of course, so there is that. Anyway just one mans opinion. Feel free to shoot me down in flames if you disagree.

In dogfights we still do deflection shots and most aircraft have a manual sight of some sort in the event the HUD/Radar craps out so yes we do have to lead the tgt still in order to hit it and sometimes things break and so we have to resort to manually aiming when the HUD/Radar breaks. With missiles on older generation aircraft like the Viggen the missiles are not as easy as point and shoot, there are parameters that need to be met in order to get a missile lock and a lot of things can go wrong resulting a miss. The Viggen is a good aircraft and it takes even more skill to dogfight a strike aircraft vs another aircraft.
SUBS17

Topic author

Postby Ian Warren » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:49 am

One thing pointed out, it is only speculation how the Viggen would perform against other types but many of the invited pilots chosen to fly it on exchange gave it the thumb's up, primary task of the 37 was point defense and range was not a factor considering Sweden's borders , the one thing it would be interesting to see how effective the forward canards were, today every forth generation modern type is fitted with them.
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby Splitpin » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:50 pm

Got the Swede sorted ... thanks guys.
Splitpin
NZFF Pro

PreviousNext

Return to Other Flight Simulator Games