Prepar3d v6, maybe?

The official REAL NZ support forum

Prepar3d v6, maybe?

Postby toprob » Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:58 pm

I'll post this here, although it is really a general discussion about P3D v6. Does anyone here have it, or plan to get it? NZFF is very quiet at the moment...

I have been looking at having Real NZ NZCH and NZDN working in v6, mainly because they may continue to be available on SimMarket for anywhere from 1 to 6 months, and it would be nice to offer a v6 installer. I won't be able to offer an updated installer on my own site, though, as now that the Store is shut down, there's no way to cover the cost of bandwidth for new installers. If 10% of existing NZCH/NZDN downloaded new installers, it would mean to big chunk out of my pension for a month or two.

So the alternative is to look at some sort of patch. However this really depends on when, if ever, we'll see v6 support for SODE, as this is an important requirement for NZCH/NZDN. The developer has been very quiet for the last year, so I'm not sure what their plans are.

In the meantime, I've been looking at what I can do with my own installation just to get the scenery working ok. So here's the major issues, and whether or not it is easy to fix them!

Getting NZCH and/or NZDN into v6:
This is easy enough, provided you have it installed already on v4 or v5. I simply copied the relevant folders from Documents\Prepar3D v5 Add-ons to Documents\Prepar3D v6 Add-ons. When you start P3D you're asked if you want to activate the addons, so I clicked on yes.
The relevant folders, for me, are:
GodzoneRealNZ;
RealNZdunedin;
VLC_libraries

If you don't already have the scenery installed, then there is a simple way to trick my installers into working in v6. Just ask if this would be useful.

Getting the jetways to work, by activating SODE.
This info was from Virtuali, on the FSDT forum. I won't reinvent the wheel here, but it is very easy to follow the instructions there.
While I had the %programdata% folders open, I also grabbed the entry for Orbx AI...

Getting some decent AI to show up
...and disabled the default traffic file in Scenery\World\scenery. Just added '.off' to the filename.

Getting a reasonable appearance
It's been a while since I last used Prepar3d, so it took some getting used to the graphics after years of MSFS:) There are plenty of settings to play with, and I won't go into those as you all probably have a better idea than me of what works for your sim.

What doesn't work for me
There are no dynamic reflections on my scenery models, which is probably due to the changes in how these are handled. There is no long a 'dynamic reflections' setting, either. So things which should be reflective are not. This may be fixed with a patch, I'm not sure yet what this would involve. If it's easy, then maybe I'll do it. If it ain't, then I'll just live with it as-is.

Here's some screenshots of NZCH as it looks after the above messing about:

toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Re: Prepar3d v6, maybe?

Postby deeknow » Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:20 pm

Good to see Robin, looks promising so far. If you haven't seem this post it's worth a look, quite a few tips and tricks for getting things running using everything from simple copy/paste thru to Registry tweaks. In essence a LOT of addons look like they will be convertible to v6
https://forum.orbxdirect.com/topic/2187 ... ancements/

For myself, I'm a happy camper on v5.4 and wont be bother with v6 as don't wanna upset what is a stable instance (for now)
Deans repaints: http://www.deeknow.com/
X570 Mini-ITX m/b - Ryzen5 3600 (6c/12t) - RTX 2060-super - 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 - Win10 - P3Dv5
deeknow
NZFF Pro

Re: Prepar3d v6, maybe?

Postby cowpatz » Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:54 pm

That is very encouraging news Robin and thanks for even considering it. I have only just started installing V5.4 on my new build. Even that's a mission migrating from V4.5. At this point I only have ORBX, PMDG777, Manfreds DC3, Flightbeam NZAA & NZWN, Godzone NZCH and Chaseplane installed; so I'm not too deep into it. Rather than shell out for Active sky and other V5 products, I might just wait a few weeks to see how V6 pans out. It does seem a little underwhelming and I don't really want to shell out twice. No Chaseplane could be a killer for me. Then of course there is MSFS to consider. I'd sure be interested in your CHC and NSN if I do go the V6 route.
cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Return to Godzone 'Real New Zealand' Scenery Support