SODE 1.7.0

The official REAL NZ support forum

SODE 1.7.0

Postby cowpatz » Wed May 13, 2020 11:50 am

Gidday Rob.
I see there is a new version of SODE out. Before I update I thought that I would check to see if this might cause issues with any of your sceneries. I have also seen on forums that there has been issues using ORBX Central to update SODE and at this stage the recommendation is to update direct from the website.
Cheers
cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Re: SODE 1.7.0

Postby toprob » Wed May 13, 2020 12:03 pm

I'll take a look, seems like only a couple of weeks since I updated to 1.6.8.... I must have been a bit out of touch lately, I wonder what else I've missed.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby toprob » Wed May 13, 2020 2:21 pm

Ok, after much testing, I can give a definitive answer -- yes and no. No issues with Prepar3d v4 and v5, and works as expected, although one crash with v5 so far, but it was doing that before updating SODE. FSX, however, has crashed more than once -- although not every time. It does work as it should when it works, and I don't know what the issue is, I don't get any error message, just CTD. I don't remember the last time FSX crashed on me, maybe a decade ago? Hmmm.

I always install via the SODE site download, not too sure why any other method causes issues, but this is common with SODE, I think. My own installers simply call the official SODE installer, so there's not a lot that can go wrong, but I have no clue how others handle it -- including Orbx Central. I think some developers get too complicated.

The SODE installer is pretty fool-proof, I think it only updates if it is required. The tricky bit is the platform manager, which requires a bit more input from that user.

From experience, most SODE issues are solved by 'have you tried reinstalling it?', it nearly always works better the second time around, which is weird, but I think points to some user interaction issue rather than specific bugs.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby toprob » Wed May 13, 2020 3:18 pm

Ok, while I did a lot of testing of the jetways -- via SODE, and using SODE via GSX -- I didn't even think of the windsocks. These don't work, as there's a problem with the data probe which reads the wind direction. This applies to all sims. I'll see if I can fix it.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby toprob » Wed May 13, 2020 3:58 pm

Ok, with 1.7.0 the Environment Data Probes require an absolute elevation, rather than AGL, so my windsocks have all stopped working. I'll need to redo all the SODE XML files at some point.
You can fix this yourself if you want, just edit the SODE xml file, such as NZCH.xml -- to remove the #AGL part of the Environment Data Probe placement, and up the elevation so it is above ground:) Not sure if this is feet or metres, though, I used to know that, but I'd need to recheck.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby cowpatz » Wed May 13, 2020 10:16 pm

At NZDN I installed a couple of guidance systems to gates 1 and 3 to see how it worked and to help knowing when to stop for the jetways. I'm not sure what NZDN has for real (if anything).
It works well. I offset the unit at Gate 3 so as not to block out the gate numbering. It is a little far when first starting but ok as you get closer to stopping.
Gate 1 I mounted on a pole straight out in front. They both work well. I will get around to putting one on gate 2 as well.
I have the guidance set up as a separate XML but I am just wondering if this should go in the same XML as the jetways. I'm just not sure how SODE builds it's menu structure.
I'll take a look when I have more time.

Gate 1 mounting

Gate 1 guidance

Gate 3 guidance

Gate 3 offset mounting

cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby toprob » Wed May 13, 2020 10:58 pm

That looks great! From memory, there are AGNIS guidance displays, but don't quote me on that.
I have thought about adding VGDS displays to Dunedin, but I've been hoping that we'd get an AGNIS display at some point. I recall that I modelled them for Wellington back in the day, they didn't even require anything like SODE or GSX, as they don't actually use a display.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby cowpatz » Thu May 14, 2020 8:24 am

There is choice of guidance systems to use and I believe Jeffery is working on another variant, NIGS.
cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby cowpatz » Thu May 14, 2020 11:49 am

toprob wrote:Ok, with 1.7.0 the Environment Data Probes require an absolute elevation, rather than AGL, so my windsocks have all stopped working. I'll need to redo all the SODE XML files at some point.
You can fix this yourself if you want, just edit the SODE xml file, such as NZCH.xml -- to remove the #AGL part of the Environment Data Probe placement, and up the elevation so it is above ground:) Not sure if this is feet or metres, though, I used to know that, but I'd need to recheck.

Rob I have amended the data probe alt but the wind socks still don't show. Do these need to be at an absolute altitude as well?

EDIT: Tried altering those to absolute but still no joy...unless I inadvertently placed them higher than I could see!
Last edited by cowpatz on Thu May 14, 2020 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby toprob » Thu May 14, 2020 12:04 pm

cowpatz wrote:Rob I have amended the data probe alt but the wind socks still don't show. Do these need to be at an absolute altitude as well?

No, the windsock placements should be ok as they are. What does your SODE log say?

Here's the EDP entry from my XML for NZCH:

Code: Select all
   <SimObject Name="EDP NZCH">
      <Placement Lat="-43.4876750155" Lon="172.5396907196" Alt="40.0" Hdg="0.0"/>
      <Model SimTitle="12bPilot_SODE_Environmental_Data_Probe">
         <EnvironmentalDataProbe ClientList="ACwindsock"/>
      </Model>
   </SimObject>

toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby cowpatz » Thu May 14, 2020 12:43 pm

<SimObject Name="GodzoneNZDN">
<Placement Lat="-45.9" Lon="170.2" Alt="65.6168" Hdg="0.0"/>
<Model SimTitle="12bPilot_SODE_Environmental_Data_Probe">
<EnvironmentalDataProbe ClientList="Godzone_FlagSecurity;Godzone_Windsock_NZDN"/>
</Model>
</SimObject>
cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby toprob » Thu May 14, 2020 2:57 pm

Hmm, not sure what the issue could be, using your value for elevation certainly works for me.
Any clues from your SODE\log\SODE.log file?
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby cowpatz » Thu May 14, 2020 3:52 pm

I assume this is the offending script. It is the only error message however it refers to Taieri and not Dunedin, but the object is probably shared.

[12:15:58.919] ERROR SODE.FSLOOP : EDP dependent SimObject [Godzone_Taieri:Godzone_FlagBlokesshed #1] will not be injected because EDP does not exist/or SimObject is not defined in ClientList!
[12:15:58.919] ERROR SODE.FSLOOP : EDP dependent SimObject [Godzone_Taieri:Godzone_FlagBlokesshed #2] will not be injected because EDP does not exist/or SimObject is not defined in ClientList!
[12:15:58.919] ERROR SODE.FSLOOP : EDP dependent SimObject [Godzone_Taieri:Godzone_Windsock_NZTI #1] will not be injected because EDP does not exist/or SimObject is not defined in ClientList!
[12:15:58.919] ERROR SODE.FSLOOP : EDP dependent SimObject [Godzone_Taieri:Godzone_Windsock_NZTI #1] will not be injected because EDP does not exist/or SimObject is not defined in ClientList!
[12:15:58.919] ERROR SODE.FSLOOP : EDP dependent SimObject [Godzone_Taieri:Godzone_Windsock_NZTI #2] will not be injected because EDP does not exist/or SimObject is not defined in ClientList!
[12:15:58.919] ERROR SODE.FSLOOP : EDP dependent SimObject [Godzone_Taieri:Godzone_Windsock_NZTI #2] will not be injected because EDP does not exist/or SimObject is not defined in ClientList!
[12:15:58.919] ERROR SODE.FSLOOP : EDP dependent SimObject [Godzone_Taieri:Godzone_Windsock_NZTI #3] will not be injected because EDP does not exist/or SimObject is not defined in ClientList!
[12:15:58.919] ERROR SODE.FSLOOP : EDP dependent SimObject [Godzone_Taieri:Godzone_Windsock_NZTI #3] will not be injected because EDP does not exist/or SimObject is not defined in ClientList!
cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby toprob » Thu May 14, 2020 4:05 pm

Not likely, although the windsocks are shared, the EDP isn't....
Can you let me have a look at your SODE.log file?
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby cowpatz » Thu May 14, 2020 4:07 pm

Yes I will send through but I did note this. The names of the sim objects are different. The GZ_ is missing. Not sure if this has any bearing.

cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby cowpatz » Thu May 14, 2020 4:20 pm

A copy of the latest log can be viewed here:

SODE log dropbox link
cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby toprob » Thu May 14, 2020 6:14 pm

Thanks for that. Only thing I notice is that you only seem to have one windsock at NZDN, there should be three. Maybe let me see your Godzone_NZDN.xml?
Taieri would need the elevation data adjusted as well, the Taieri xml file is called Godzone_Taieri, rather than the standard method I use not. (Taieri was done at the beginning of the Dunedin project, while NZDN was done a lot later:)
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby cowpatz » Thu May 14, 2020 7:29 pm

The Godzone_NZDN.xml should now be in the same dropbox folder link as above.
The windsocks at Taieri are working fine.
cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby toprob » Thu May 14, 2020 7:49 pm

Did you beta-test Dunedin? Your XML file doesn't look like the release version.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby cowpatz » Thu May 14, 2020 8:40 pm

Not that I can recall. The only thing I did some time ago was an ADE AFCAD mod (I can’t recall what for....think it was nav aid related....I should make notes). Removing it made no difference. I have also just used Lorby’s Add on organiser but I doubt that would have altered any of the files.
cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Next

Return to Godzone 'Real New Zealand' Scenery Support