What's with all the new sims...

The official REAL NZ support forum

Re: What's with all the new sims...

Postby NZ255 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:00 pm

Hmm, it's a tough one. I suppose one of the other markets could be other Aussies that jump the ditch into Queenstown or something. Have you thought about giving a copy of the Queenstown area to someone like musicalaviator on Youtube? He pulls a few thousand views on his videos of mostly Aus, NZ online flying.

Can you sell the areas separately? If I just wanted the Wellington area then I probably would hold off a purchase that's more expensive that comes with lots of stuff I don't want.

The "subscription" name might put some off as well. These days with Office 365 and the like, subscriptoipn means your get it for a year and then you have to keep paying for it if you want to keep it. I'm sure you wouldn't mind this :) but it could be hindering it.

Not sure of what others think. I do really want to see you survive though. >nzflag<
Nick
NZ255
NZFF Pro

Postby cowpatz » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:29 pm

I can appreciate the issues with multi platforms.
I would concentrate on the "tried and true" first. Still lots of folk running FSX (not sure about the steam version from a dev's perspective on marketing though).
I agree that the term "subscription" could be off putting as it implies an ongoing cost. I would like to see suggested package options or individual item sales.
It also needs to be super easy to purchase and install.

How about flicking copies to the likes of Jordan King and Froogle for review?
We need to market NZ as a unique flight simmers paradise...and it is as we have everything to offer (bar perhaps a major multi runway airport). Short and long flight times are easy.
Perhaps some good snaps and videos (from us) to the various hang out places...AVSIM, Mutleys hangar etc.
cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Postby toprob » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:33 pm

You are right, of course, and I have been trying to get at least one scenery completed, at that point the subscription can go back to the back-burner... Getting something finished, however, is the problem, it just takes so long to get a scenery up to the standard of Dunedin, for instance, and a big part of it is actually visiting the places enough to get all the resources I need. The subscription remains only because it is the only thing I've got besides Dunedin...

I am working towards a standalone Wellington, and the Alps/Lakes area, and once the southern one is finished I'll be keen to get it in front of Orbx users who have Queenstown already -- this is catered for in the current scenery, with the ability to leave a big hole for FTX NZQN...

As someone who has recently had to quit my Office 365 subscription this year, I fully understand the issue:)
toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby Charl » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:56 pm

Get in early, make a "boutique" scenery for AFS2 and make NZ the VFR centre of that world!
ORBX is doing LOWI which is hardly Los Angeles Central...
Charl
NZFF Pro

Postby toprob » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:06 pm

Charl, that's one of the reasons why I'm updating the Alps photoscenery, I would love to see our alps in FS2... Mt Cook airport is a hidden gem, sitting there underneath the mountains. Still a lot to be figured about how FS2 will work out, and how it will be marketed etc., but personally I can't wait to begin.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby toprob » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:21 pm

P.S. something I've been meaning to do -- I've renamed the Subscription 'product' to 'the 2014/15 NZ Photoscenery compilation'. Compilations have always performed better for me than the subscription, that's for sure:) So tell all your mates about this great budget compilation, with all the added benefits of the subscription!
toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Return to Godzone 'Real New Zealand' Scenery Support