Real NZ Dunedin flashing ground textures

The official REAL NZ support forum

Real NZ Dunedin flashing ground textures

Postby toprob » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:02 am

This was reported recently, and I did put it down to the Prepar3d v4.4 scenery display bug which was fixed in 4.5, but the guy who had the issue updated and it still didn't work. So I'm sorry this has taken so long to acknowledge, but I'm never been able to replicate the issue.
Following the issue with NZCH's flashing ground polys, these were tracked down to the custom runway at West Melton, which I promptly removed from the release version. Which ended up as a bit of a nightmare, but I'll cover that separately...
It may be that this is a similar issue with Dunedin. A discussion over at AVSIM has just had a post which certainly points to this, as he was able to fix the issue by disabling the ground polys at Taieri. This isn't a long-term solution, as Taieri is my favourite airfield, so I will see if I can track down a cause, and release a patch for Dunedin if possible. This will take a few weeks, as I have some tedious family commitments for a week or two.
This issue seems to be new in later releases of Prepar3d v4, but I'm not sure if it is something which LM may see as fixable.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Re: Real NZ Dunedin flashing ground textures

Postby Scupper » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:57 pm

Thanks Rob,

I installed Dunedin today in P3D4.5 and noticed the odd ground thing that you're referring to, where it seems to alternate between two different textures. It will be great if you can find what's causing it. My Dunedin is V1.11, - is that the most recent?

I really like Taieri too.

Haven't flown into Chch yet.
Scupper
Forum Addict

Postby Scupper » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:35 pm

Just flew out of Christchurch, - no problems with ground textures there, - absolutely stunning, clearly a labour of love. Well done :D :D :D :D !

Really interesting to see the post-quake appearance, - must be unique among flightsim landscapes.
Scupper
Forum Addict

Postby toprob » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:42 am

Scupper wrote:Thanks Rob,

I installed Dunedin today in P3D4.5 and noticed the odd ground thing that you're referring to, where it seems to alternate between two different textures. It will be great if you can find what's causing it. My Dunedin is V1.11, - is that the most recent?

I really like Taieri too.

Haven't flown into Chch yet.

I'm actually away this week, and I don't really know when I'll be back, but I will look at a solution when I'm back. It may be a similar issue to the pre-update NZCH -- a nearby airfield, which shares some ground textures, in this case Taieri. I'll see if replacing the shared textures makes any difference.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby toprob » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:03 pm

Just to keep you informed, although no solution as yet.
I was thinking that this issue was caused by 'reusing' textures in two close airports, in this case NZDN and NZTI, but I've now made all textures unique to each airport, with no change. Since disabling the ground textures at NZTI fixed NZDN, it does appear to be a bug in Prepar3d v4.5, similar to the bug in v4.4 which was mostly fixed.
I will see if the NZTI ground polys can be redone without affected NZDN, but at the moment I'm a bit stuck.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby toprob » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:52 am

Another, much later update:
Ok, this wasn't as easy to solve as the NZCH/NZWL issue, so it can't have been related to reusing ground poly textures at adjacent airports. So I did put it aside while I've been fixing some other issues (Orbx Central etc).
However... this issue does seem to have sorted itself for me at least, with the Prepar3d v4.5 HF2. (HF1 may have fixed it, but I still hadn't got around to updating before HF2 appeared.) So if anyone else who had this issue could check it out after HF2, I'd be pleased to hear your conclusion.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby Tyrion » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:34 am

Registered here due to this issue.
I can confirm that, on my system, this isn't fixed.
P3Dv4 updated to the latest version.
Previously only the Client, but to see if it made a difference I went through the trouble of updating Content and Scenery as well.
Unfortunately, no difference.

I have no idea what info from me might help in fixing this problem.
One thing I noticed, is that the "popping" of the default textures is connected to the camera angle.
The exact range seems to differ with the exact camera position (VC or external) and maybe even location on the airport.
But generally, I see the default visuals with the camera on compass headings between 170° (VERY clear and definite cut-off in my limited testing) and 190-210° (seems to vary with position).

To be clear:
- RealNZ NZDN
- Orbx SI installed, but conflicting files disabled
- Old FTX Central, not migrated yet to the new Orbx Central.
- Prepar3D v4.5 HF2 (updated from previous versions, Client, Content and Scenery updated).

Best regards,
Lars
Tyrion

Postby toprob » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:08 pm

Sorry about the wait, Lars, I'm currently taking care of my mum up north for a week or two.
You had covered all the things I'd normally suggest, so I may need to do some research when I get home.
The only other thing I can get you to check is the Orbx priority, making sure that Orbx Central hasn't reset it to the top of the list.
Bear in mind, though, that this scenery worked without issue for a lot of years, and because this suddenly started happening with P3Dv4. 3, with some worse issues which were fixed with 4.4, it does appear to be a Prepar3d bug.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby Tyrion » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:29 am

Hey Rob,
Thanks for the reply.
No problem, there are things more important than a virtual airport being a bit wonky. :wink2:

I'll check the priority when I have some time to go sit behind my Sim PC again.
Tyrion

Return to Godzone 'Real New Zealand' Scenery Support