Prepar3d v4 installers still coming:)

The official REAL NZ support forum

Prepar3d v4 installers still coming:)

Postby toprob » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:35 pm

Part of the delay has been having to come to terms with some subtle changes from v3 to v4, especially starting with an older scenery like Nelson. I've learnt some valuable lessons, mainly things like how much of a difference a tool like PTA can make. Today I finished the v4 changes to Real NZ Nelson, I now just need to get the installer written. I've been working on this for a while, as there are a lot of things which need to be considered to build a 'proper' v4 installer.
The new installer will include some updates to the actual scenery for v4 (and v3, hopefully), as Nelson was always a FSX scenery tweaked for Prepar3d. Incorporating a few modern Prepar3d features certainly improves the look of Nelson, especially in v4 -- I've seen some comments on the forums stating that v4 is the first real leap forward that we've seen for a long time, and I see that myself. Even an old scenery like Nelson starts to look closer to reality with just a few feature tweaks. I can see why some developers are looking at x64-only projects.
Here's a peak in v4. As I said, the scenery tweaks are finished, the installer is not.

toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Re: Prepar3d v4 installers still coming:)

Postby jpreou » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:17 am

Looks great Rob, thanks for the update
-- Jeff, Hamilton, NZ
P3Dv3.x and a bunch of add-on stuff...
jpreou
Forum Addict

Postby Dash8captain » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:43 am

Absolutely stunning! Your work is amazing!
Dash8captain

Postby Dash8captain » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:51 am

By the way Rob is nzwn and dunedin being updated too? :) :)
Dash8captain

Postby toprob » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:00 am

Dash8captain wrote:By the way Rob is nzwn and dunedin being updated too? :) :)

Dunedin and the Subscription issues will have new installers which include v4. Dunedin is ready to go, but still awaiting the final v4 version of the Autogen Merger tool -- the author of this tool has been on holiday...

Dunedin won't be tweaked as much as Nelson, as it was a more modern scenery anyway, and already had Prepar3d ground polys. I've just added dynamic tarmac lights, really.

By the way, forgot to mention that Nelson for v3 and v4 now uses SODE for anything wind-controlled -- windsocks and flags. I've decided to leave the FSX version as-is, though. The FSX version includes custom windsocks already, which didn't work in Prepar3d, so I initially just replaced them with default windsocks. This was ugly-as, which is why I was pleased to finally fix this using SODE.

This particular installer is a bit of a house of cards -- I have to make sure that it won't all come tumbling down at some stage. I know that some people had trouble with the SODE installer included with Dunedin, mainly my own fault, but also because it requires that the user reads the manual. I'm not sure how to deal with this for Nelson, I need to make sure that the user doesn't just cancel the SODE activation window...
toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby cowpatz » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:30 am

Rob I think you are pulling our leg. Those are photos of the real Nelson!
cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Postby Charl » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:43 pm

Very purty indeed... and I am itching to see something of that standard in AFS2!

I think there is no question that 32 bit is just... history.

I say this despite myself of course, but I like what I see in XP11 too.
Charl
NZFF Pro

Postby cowpatz » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:48 pm

Those ground polys are exceptional.
cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Postby cowpatz » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:17 pm

Rob with respect to the coming V4 photoreal installers, will the installers use existing downloaded scenery files as currently used in V3?
With my pathetic internet speeds I really would like to avoid having to download them all again.
cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Postby toprob » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:15 pm

The initial plan was to offer a way to use an existing installation in v4, but in the end there were too many variables around the current install. So for the moment, it will require a redownload.
If I have time I'll review this after the Nelson installer update.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby cowpatz » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:30 pm

Ok thanks Rob. Even if there is a workaround to install without an installer I would be keen to try first.
cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Postby Dash8captain » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:18 pm

Hey rob i dont want to keep annoying by asking but just wondered how the P3dv4 installers were coming along? Seriously cant wait for your amazing work! :) :thumbup:
Dash8captain

Postby toprob » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:30 pm

Yeah, sorry, I shifted to Timaru last week and I'm awaiting an internet connection. Spark are kind of slow, by the looks of things, and they they've just informed me that I'm 'on hold' because they checked the wrong address, and it was in use:)
So internet is still a week away, I suspect. Then I'll upload Nelson for testing. Are you beta-testing for me?
Living on mobile data at the moment, so I'm good for quick messages, probably not able to enter the screenshot comp, though...
toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby Dash8captain » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:48 pm

toprob wrote:Yeah, sorry, I shifted to Timaru last week and I'm awaiting an internet connection. Spark are kind of slow, by the looks of things, and they they've just informed me that I'm 'on hold' because they checked the wrong address, and it was in use:)
So internet is still a week away, I suspect. Then I'll upload Nelson for testing. Are you beta-testing for me?
Living on mobile data at the moment, so I'm good for quick messages, probably not able to enter the screenshot comp, though...

Ah no worries Rob, id be keen to beta test for you, how do I go about doing that?
Dash8captain

Postby toprob » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:07 pm

Just email via my site with your email address and I'll send a link when it's ready
toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Return to Godzone 'Real New Zealand' Scenery Support